February 5, 2008 Super Tuesday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
phillyfan26 said:
Huckabee contends for one reason and one reason only:

He represents a rather large group of people.

As a social democrat and an agnostic, thank God I do not live in the US. It's bad enough being in Australia where there's enough of a fringe minority to keep Family First on its feet.

No spoken words said:

Just sometimes?

I am seriously contemplating moving out of this country if the executive branch of our government finds itself with another Republican. I honestly do not think I can deal with 4 more of years of this. The last 8 have been a nightmare as far as I'm concerned. When I think about the blatant beating the Constitution has taken, not to mention telling the International Community that they can basically go fuck themselves, it's almost too much for me to mentally cope with. Frustrating is not the word for it.

Moving out of the country might not be the best answer, but, I don't know what more I can do outside of vote, try to encourage others to vote, then grin and bear it if the results are not to my liking.

Sorry for the rant, I'll slink back to the Lemonade Stand where I belong.

I completely understand where you are coming from. Unfortunately, leaving the country is not an option for me. We have some friends who I've spoke about before, that moved to Australia. They follow U.S. politics from afar now, but I'm sure politics has a bit of influence on them leaving. And then my accountant and his family moved to New Zealand last year and is now living it up.

I'll slink back to home base and find you.

yolland said:
Current tally:

Clinton--Oklahoma, Tennessee*, Arkansas, New York*, New Jersey*, Massachusetts*
Obama--Illinois*, Georgia*, Delaware, Alabama, North Dakota, Connecticut, Kansas

(* = rather large delegate count + significant-looking victory margin)

NJ doesn't fall in that category. Hillary's got a single-digit lead.

Just watching Mitt Romney now. This guy's nationalistic "the US is the greatest" boasting is absolutely hysterical to an outsider. I have to wonder if he's ever been anywhere else. It sounds like he hasn't got a fucking clue.

Axver said:

As a social democrat and an agnostic, thank God I do not live in the US. It's bad enough being in Australia where there's enough of a fringe minority to keep Family First on its feet.

That's my problem exactly.

Am agnostic, with a secular Jewish background, as well as the former.

This just often does not feel like the right country for me. I think living in NYC/LA all my life helped, but I'm in the Midwest now, and, I wonder, a lot, if maybe I need to admit that it's time for me to live somewhere that is more representative of how I think when it comes to government and religion, or, government devoid of religious overtones.

No spoken words said:

Just sometimes?

I am seriously contemplating moving out of this country if the executive branch of our government finds itself with another Republican. I honestly do not think I can deal with 4 more of years of this.

Come and join us! :wink:

Axver said:
Just watching Mitt Romney now. This guy's nationalistic "the US is the greatest" boasting is absolutely hysterical to an outsider. I have to wonder if he's ever been anywhere else. It sounds like he hasn't got a fucking clue.

this is considered "red meat" stuff for the Republican base. they love all this national greatness myth making.

Axver said:

Bush had never been to Europe prior to running for President. That tidbit blew me away as he made his bid for the Republican nod.

I'm starting to get pissed off. :)

captunderpants.jpg

Someone else is gonna have to add the hair.

Axver said:

It's bad, Axver. It's bad.

There are some Republicans that are legit. I emphasize some.

I don't really have the option of moving yet, being still in high school and looking into colleges. I don't know where I'd go, though.

yolland said:
Current tally:

Clinton--Oklahoma, Tennessee*, Arkansas, New York*, New Jersey*, Massachusetts*
Obama--Illinois*, Georgia*, Delaware, Alabama, North Dakota, Connecticut, Kansas

McCain--Delaware, New Jersey**, Connecticut, Illinois**, New York**, Oklahoma
Romney--Massachusetts, Utah**
Huckabee--West Virginia, Arkansas, Alabama

(** = winner-take-all state with rather large delegate count, OR significant-looking victory margin in non-winner-take-all state with lots of delegates)

Minnesota can be added for Obama as well.

god, Mitt's crazy national greatness stuff is EMBARRASSING.

"greatest" this and "greatest" that.

i feel as if all non-Americans need an American in the room to explain this to them, as you would explain away the crazy relatives when you bring your new boy/girlfriend to the barbecue.

No spoken words said:

Martina, it's crossed my mind a lot the past 3 years.

Well, we would love to have you. :)

I have lived in 4 different countries. In that sense I feel very little patriotism of any sort. I respect and value the country I live in, but all of this "rah rah we are the best nation on the PLANET" stuff is really beyond my scope of understanding so I don't even try.

I do like where I am now. I feel like I can blend in and belong.

No spoken words said:
That's my problem exactly.

Am agnostic, with a secular Jewish background, as well as the former.

This just often does not feel like the right country for me. I think living in NYC/LA all my life helped, but I'm in the Midwest now, and, I wonder, a lot, if maybe I need to admit that it's time for me to live somewhere that is more representative of how I think when it comes to government and religion, or, government devoid of religious overtones.

Come to Melbourne. Not only do we have the agnostic/secular stuff covered nicely, but we've got the Jewish side of things too! Melbourne apparently has the highest proportion of Holocaust survivors anywhere in the world outside of Israel.

And, well, any politician who invokes religion is generally seen here as being a bit of a loony and out of line. It will lose rather than gain votes. People want politicians making decisions for everyone, not for one exclusive religious community.

BonoManiac said:
Bush had never been anywhere but Mexico prior to becoming President.

Well-rounded, educated, globally aware individuals clearly do great in US politics, huh?

Hey, where's Infinitum to provide his spin, his alternate reality where Ron Paul is actually having an awesome Super Tuesday and is going to be the Republican candidate? I think I'd prefer that to "Huckabee's actually winning states". :wink:

Axver said:

Well-rounded, educated, globally aware individuals clearly do great in US politics, huh?

now, don't be like people who make one trip to some country and use it to confirm all of their prejudices. and don't be guilty yourself of judging 300m people on the basis of a few.

it's a great big place. politics is crazy. keep an open mind, and don't judge too harshly, seek to understand where things come from and why they happen.

Axver said:
Hey, where's Infinitum to provide his spin, his alternate reality where Ron Paul is actually having an awesome Super Tuesday and is going to be the Republican candidate?

I'll bet as CNN is calling states based on exit polls, he's "calling" them as wins for Paul because Ron Paul won every debate because Ron Paul has a good position on Iraq.

anitram said:

Well, we would love to have you. :)

I have lived in 4 different countries. In that sense I feel very little patriotism of any sort. I respect and value the country I live in, but all of this "rah rah we are the best nation on the PLANET" stuff is really beyond my scope of understanding so I don't even try.

I do like where I am now. I feel like I can blend in and belong.

I do love my country, or did. But, I'm not big on jingoism at all. If I take time to brag, it's about my sister getting her Doctorate, or my parents celebrating a 40th anniversary, not about how fucking awesome the USA is. Sigh.

When I have traveled abroad, I have felt more at home than when I visit regions like the South. Maybe that's on me, but, maybe it's just a sad truth.

BonoManiac said:

Bush had never been anywhere but Mexico prior to becoming President.

But to be fair to him, isn't the statistic something like 80% of Americans don't own a passport?

Which I think is in a sense understandable given the size of the country and how much there is to see within the US itself. Of course, Canada is bigger and Australia is not small and we are infinitely better travelled. I don't know a single person here who has never left the country. :shrug:

Current tally:

Clinton--Oklahoma, Tennessee*, Arkansas, New York*, New Jersey, Massachusetts*
Obama--Illinois*, Georgia*, Delaware, Alabama, North Dakota, Connecticut, Kansas, Minnesota*

McCain--Delaware, New Jersey**, Connecticut, Illinois**, New York**, Oklahoma, Arizona**
Romney--Massachusetts, Utah**
Huckabee--West Virginia, Arkansas, Alabama

(** = winner-take-all state with rather large delegate count, OR significant-looking victory margin in non-winner-take-all state with lots of delegates)

Back
Top Bottom