February 5, 2008 Super Tuesday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Huckabee is really performing over his head. I'm shocked.

Obama is having a very respectable evening as well. :up:

it strikes me that poor white democrats aren't voting for Obama. is it due to race? it also strikes me that such voters would probably be the most likely to be swayed by a McCain candidacy.

Lila64 said:
For those who have voted...

Did the polling places require you to show ID? I don't think they ever have done so here... Just curious...

Nope, it was very informal actually. We signed up to register on a sheet of paper, were given a little 2 inch piece of paper, checked next to the candidate, then dropped it in a cardboard box. (And, this was in Minneapolis, mind you.)

LemonMelon said:
Huckabee is really performing over his head. I'm shocked.

Obama is having a very respectable evening as well. :up:

Actually, I think it's been a bit underwhelming for him so far. Losing Massachusetts, when he had all those big endorsements, is a bit of a setback.

However, one thing that is striking to me is that when he wins, like in Alabama and Georgia, he wins by a large margin, and when he loses, a lot of times it is not by much.

Current tally:

Clinton--Oklahoma, Tennessee*, Arkansas, New York*, New Jersey*, Massachusetts*
Obama--Illinois*, Georgia*, Delaware, Alabama

McCain--Delaware, New Jersey**, Connecticut, Illinois**, New York**
Romney--Massachusetts, Utah**
Huckabee--West Virginia, Arkansas

(* = rather large delegate count + significant-looking victory margin)

(** = winner-take-all state with rather large delegate count, OR significant-looking victory margin in non-winner-take-all state with lots of delegates)

Last edited:
here's some analysis from just about the rightest of the right wingers out there, Michelle Malkin:

[q]Bottom line so far on the GOP side: McCain was supposed to win Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee (see realclearpolitics.com). Huckabee may win all three (plus Arkansas and West Virginia.) A week ago, McCain was also strongly favored to win Missouri, Arizona, and California. It is now unclear whether he will win any of those three. The night’s a long way from over, but I’ve got to think McCain is not very happy right now…9:35pm Eastern. Rove says McCain should be happy…Kristol notes the paradox: McCain’s winning, but he has structural weaknesses…Romney has to win somewhere other than Mass…Waiting for the West…

McCain may prevail tonight, but wake up damaged goods in the morning.

[/q]

boy, they really don't like McCain, do they?

Last edited:
SBS is currently showing Huckabee making some speech. Holy shit, he's just talking a complete load of gibberish. How the fuck is this guy a mainstream politician in the US?

phanan said:

However, one thing that is striking to me is that when he wins, like in Alabama and Georgia, he wins by a large margin, and when he loses, a lot of times it is not by much.

Everyone in line today (Mobile, Al) was talking about Obama.
Seriously, as far as I could hear people talking in front of me Obama was the conversation.
That in itself was remarkable, since I don't recall that much conversation between people waiting to vote, in my life.

Axver said:
SBS is currently showing Huckabee making some speech. Holy shit, he's just talking a complete load of gibberish. How the fuck is this guy a mainstream politician in the US?

He scares me almost as much as Bush. Maybe scare isn't the right word.. it's more dread that he might ...
I can't even think about it.

Axver said:

he's only sort of mainstream.

it's kind of like France and Le Pen.

sue4u2 said:
He scares me almost as much as Bush. Maybe scare isn't the right word.. it's more dread that he might ...
I can't even think about it.

He struck me as some extremist who should be completely on the fringe. I cannot believe this guy is a state governor and a serious contender for presidential candidacy nomination. That's genuinely scary.

To be honest, I'm grateful I'm sitting on the far side of the Pacific, where these loonies are confined to Family First and have precious little influence.

Axver said:

I still can't quite fathom how he's a contending, serious candidate and not, at the absolute best, being treated as some fringe freak, like Ron Paul is.

It's kind of amazing that SBS is broadcasting a few hours of this in Australia as well. I think people are more than a little excited about the end of the Bush years. :drool:

Huckabee contends for one reason and one reason only:

He represents a rather large group of people.

Current tally:

Clinton--Oklahoma, Tennessee*, Arkansas, New York*, New Jersey*, Massachusetts*
Obama--Illinois*, Georgia*, Delaware, Alabama, North Dakota, Connecticut, Kansas

McCain--Delaware, New Jersey**, Connecticut, Illinois**, New York**, Oklahoma
Romney--Massachusetts, Utah**
Huckabee--West Virginia, Arkansas, Alabama

(* = rather large delegate count + significant-looking victory margin)

(** = winner-take-all state with rather large delegate count, OR significant-looking victory margin in non-winner-take-all state with lots of delegates)

martha said:

The US can be a scary place sometimes.

Just sometimes?

I am seriously contemplating moving out of this country if the executive branch of our government finds itself with another Republican. I honestly do not think I can deal with 4 more of years of this. The last 8 have been a nightmare as far as I'm concerned. When I think about the blatant beating the Constitution has taken, not to mention telling the International Community that they can basically go fuck themselves, it's almost too much for me to mentally cope with. Frustrating is not the word for it.

Moving out of the country might not be the best answer, but, I don't know what more I can do outside of vote, try to encourage others to vote, then grin and bear it if the results are not to my liking.

Sorry for the rant, I'll slink back to the Lemonade Stand where I belong.

No spoken words said:

Just sometimes?

I am seriously contemplating moving out of this country if the executive branch of our government finds itself with another Republican. I honestly do not think I can deal with 4 more of years of this. The last 8 have been a nightmare as far as I'm concerned. When I think about the blatant beating the Constitution has taken, not to mention telling the International Community that they can basically go fuck themselves, it's almost too much for me to mentally cope with. Frustrating is not the word for it.

Moving out of the country might not be the best answer, but, I don't know what more I can do outside of vote, try to encourage others to vote, then grin and bear it if the results are not to my liking.

Sorry for the rant, I'll slink back to the Lemonade Stand where I belong.

Dude, this place is all about rants. :hug:

Back
Top Bottom