February 5, 2008 Super Tuesday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Strongbow said:
Huckabee is the first winner of the day winning in a state that was supposed to go for Romney, West Virginia.

Strongbow

I like you and appreciate your views being shared on this discussion board
you can call Huckabee the winner

but Romney came in first
McCain came in last
and then had his caucus people flip over to Huck to stop Romney

this can happen with cauci
but it does not reflect the will of the people
and it will not be played out this way in Nov

this style of voting in 2000
would have allowed Naders votes to flip to Gore and make him the winner.

Some genius Virginians thought our primary was today (it's a week from today) so they showed up to their polling stations, when they found them closed they angrily called the State Board of Elections only to be told that our primary is the 12th. :sigh::tsk:

U2democrat said:
Some genius Virginians thought our primary was today (it's a week from today) so they showed up to their polling stations, when they found them closed they angrily called the State Board of Elections only to be told that our primary is the 12th. :sigh::tsk:

And they're going to vote. :yikes:

deep said:

Strongbow

I like you and appreciate your views being shared on this discussion board
you can call Huckabee the winner

but Romney came in first
McCain came in last
and then had his caucus people flip over to Huck to stop Romney

this can happen with cauci
but it does not reflect the will of the people
and it will not be played out this way in Nov

this style of voting in 2000
would have allowed Naders votes to flip to Gore and make him the winner.

Romney camp accuses McCain, Huckabee of shady W. Va. deal
By Sam Youngman
Posted: 02/05/08 03:35 PM [ET]
Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney’s campaign accused Sen. John McCain (Ariz.) and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee of “a backroom deal” that gave the early Super Tuesday win in West Virginia to Huckabee.

Romney, who addressed the state GOP convention in person Tuesday, comfortably led the first ballot at the convention, leading to a three-way second ballot contest between the three contenders.

Marc Ambinder of The Atlantic reported Tuesday that, after the first ballot, McCain’s campaign called his supporters there and urged them to vote in favor of Huckabee.

“Unfortunately, this is what Senator McCain’s inside Washington ways look like: he cut a backroom deal with the tax-and-spend candidate he thought could best stop Governor Romney’s campaign of conservative change,” Beth Myers, Romney’s campaign manager, said in a statement.

Huckabee won the contest on the second ballot with 567 votes, or 51 percent, to Romney’s 521 votes, which put him at 47 percent. McCain finished the second ballot with 12 votes.

On the first ballot, McCain had 176 votes to Huckabee’s 375 and Romney’s 464 votes.

Rep. Ron Paul (Tex.) received 118 votes on the first ballot, but because he failed to finish in the top three, he was not included on the second ballot.

By winning Tuesday’s state convention, Huckabee was awarded 18 of the state’s 30 delegates.

The McCain campaign did not immediately respond to comment for this story.

CNN calls Georgia for Obama (no surprise).

ABC exit polls have him winning it 86-13?? That can't be right.

You know, all arguing and partisanship aside, this is a really exciting time we're in. I've never felt as much satisfaction from voting as I did today.

:up:

Ditto that Diemen! I spoke to the lady behind me in line, and she was energized as well. They said it was a good turn-out. I believe I was #297. I don't know how many people are eligible to vote in the neighborhood. My ballot was the kind you use a pen and connect the arrow < -----

CNN calls Illinois for Obama, Oklahoma for Hillary...no surprises there.

McCain: Connecticut, Illinois, New Jersey
Romney: Massachusetts

We've even got 3 hours of news coverage of this on SBS here in Australia, just starting now.

Just out of curiousity, which states on the Democratic sides are considered to be the toss-ups or could provide some potential surprises?

randhail said:
Just out of curiousity, which states on the Democratic sides are considered to be the toss-ups or could provide some potential surprises?
California, Missouri, Arizona, Delaware, Connecticut and New Mexico.

Delaware - Summary Vote Results Select Party--------------DemGOP------------All Races
February 05, 2008 - 08:44PM ET (i) = incumbent = winner = runoff
President - Dem Primary
50 of 312 Precincts Reporting - 16%
Name Party Votes Vote %
Obama, Barack Dem 5,458 50%
Clinton, Hillary Dem 4,934 45%
Biden, Joe Dem 362 3%
Edwards, John Dem 177 2%
Dodd, Chris Dem 23 0%
Kucinich, Dennis Dem 23 0%

President - GOP Primary
50 of 312 Precincts Reporting - 16%