February 5, 2008 Super Tuesday - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #46
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Strongbow

Bush's approval rating is not just slightly higher than Turmans, it is 50% higher! Truman had an approval rating of 22% in 1952, Bush in January had an approval rating of 34%. Bush's disapproval rating is NOT 70% to 80% it is 60%.

More importantly, when it comes to elections, even someone who does not approve of the job you have done may vote for you when the see the other candidate. So how Bush would do in a General election in 2008 is much better than simply his approval rating.

it's true. 8 is 100% higher than 4. it doesn't change the fact that both are less than 10, but yes, it is 100% higher!

and when you add an exclamation point (!!!) you just might be able to convince the easily fooled that you've said something of any sort of worth when you haven't.

the 50% "strongly" disapproval rating is staggering. it is the highest in the history in the Gallup Poll, even surpassing Richard Nixon's disapproval ratings at the peak of the greatest government scandal of the latter half of the 20th century, Watergate. his "strongly disapprove" rating was a mere 48%.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:19 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

I strongly believe that if there were a few more days until Super Tuesday, Obama would mount an unprecedented victory. The tracking numbers are quite astonishing.

It will be fun in 48 hrs!

Oh and I laughed and laughed at Maria Shriver sticking it to Ahnold and McCain. Hilarious.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:32 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
I strongly believe that if there were a few more days until Super Tuesday, Obama would mount an unprecedented victory. The tracking numbers are quite astonishing.
I agree
everything I am reading supports your statements

it the trend remains as constant
Obama could win many if not most of the remaining primaries.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:07 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Oh and I laughed and laughed at Maria Shriver sticking it to Ahnold and McCain. Hilarious.
Me too! That was great!!!
I just watched the whole thing on c-span, I sensed that she was going to come out since she is so close to them!

What a great group of women, all outstanding speakers supporting Barack!
I love Michelle Obama, what a classy person and a great first lady she would make!

I thought it was amazing that Stevie Wonder broke ranks with the Clinton's since he has been a long time supporter, wow!

I can feel the momentum!
Old 02-03-2008, 07:18 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:13 AM
Quote:

Bush's approval rating is not just slightly higher than Turmans, it is 50% higher! Truman had an approval rating of 22% in 1952, Bush in January had an approval rating of 34%. Bush's disapproval rating is NOT 70% to 80% it is 60%.
It simply doesn't matter the least bit how Truman's approval rating was fifty years ago, that's utterly irrelevant.
Bush screwed up, but look, this guy was even worse.... Wow.

34% approval means a solid 2/3 disapproves of you.

It's nice that he might do better in a general election, but still he obviously failed to serve the public interest.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #51
Blue Crack Supplier

Bush has also been in the low 30's since 2005.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:13 AM   #52
Refugee

Local Time: 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega

It simply doesn't matter the least bit how Truman's approval rating was fifty years ago, that's utterly irrelevant.
Bush screwed up, but look, this guy was even worse.... Wow.

34% approval means a solid 2/3 disapproves of you.

It's nice that he might do better in a general election, but still he obviously failed to serve the public interest.
There is a small percentage in the poll who neither approve or disapprove. 34% approve, 60% disapprove and 6 % were unsure.

Talk all you want about opinion polls, but the greatest test of approval or disaproval for a President is whether or not he wins re-election from the voters. Bush won re-election and that is a larger indicator of how the public viewed Bush than any single opinion poll.

Truman's approval rating does matter considering how the country now views Trumans Presidency. Most regard Truman as one of the greatest Presidents in US history. But the strain of the Korean War lowered his approval ratings at the time to the lowest in history. Sometimes Presidents do things at the time which become very unpopular but benefit the country enormously in the long run.

Hell, in 1864, Abraham Lincoln was even less liked than Truman when you look at the entire United States. Half of the country was still trying to leave the Union, and in the other half, Lincoln barely had support of 50% of the population. In fact, before Sherman took Atlanta in the Civil War, Lincoln was headed towards defeat in the election. Lincolns defeat would have resulted in the election of McClellen and the adoption of the Democratic party platform which called for peace and allowing the Confederate States to leave the Union, effectively ending the United States of America.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:26 AM   #53
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

this is so blatantly wrong, it's funny. it's just wrong. are you watching the debates? do you pay any attention to the careful use of language used by these candidates?

no.

and Bush has lost GOP moderates, and has the highest "strongly diasapprove" ratings in history.

but i know that doesn't mean a thing to you. so carry on.
No, your response is funny. According to Gallup, between 70% and 80% of registered Republicans approve of George Bush's job as President. You don't run against someone who is that popular in your party. You would not get elected. McCain has his differences and criticisms as do the other candidates, but on the major issues, he and all the other Republican candidates except for Ron Paul are right in line with Bush.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:28 AM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

McCain has his differences and criticisms as do the other candidates, but on the major issues, he and all the other Republican candidates except for Ron Paul are right in line with Bush.
I agree with you.

Obama or Hillary should put that into every single ad in the general election.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:37 AM   #55
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:13 PM
Old 02-04-2008, 07:04 AM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Truman's approval rating does matter considering how the country now views Trumans Presidency. Most regard Truman as one of the greatest Presidents in US history. But the strain of the Korean War lowered his approval ratings at the time to the lowest in history. Sometimes Presidents do things at the time which become very unpopular but benefit the country enormously in the long run.

So the argument is that any president that is grossly unpopular in his own time must necessarily turn out to be among our nation's best presidents by simple virtue of their unpopularity. That's the argument you're making right? If he's unpopular he must be a great president?
Old 02-04-2008, 07:24 AM   #57
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

it's funny when you think that things are the same. that Iraq and Afghanistan are the same country. and GWB is Harry Truman.

it's the most simplistic, unsophisticated analysis of all.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:26 AM   #58
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

So the argument is that any president that is grossly unpopular in his own time must necessarily turn out to be among our nation's best presidents by simple virtue of their unpopularity. That's the argument you're making right? If he's unpopular he must be a great president?

and how would you grade such a paper with such a thesis? or a paper that made the claim that not only is this true, but that Bush is a whopping 50% higher than Truman! Truman was once at 22%, and GWB has been at about 33% or lower give or take a few percentage points for the majority of his 2nd term. does that 50% higher (!!!) have any sort of factual resonance whatsoever?
Old 02-04-2008, 08:13 AM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

I'm still trying to find the place where I vote.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:15 AM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

Bush is unpopular. People are sick of him.