February 5, 2008 Super Tuesday - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2008, 07:17 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem

And thank god, eh? Your frequent mentioning of Truman is starting to get me thinking that it actually matters.
Yes, I don't know. Only because Bush's approval rating is slghtly above Truman's that now means Bush is loved by the majority? How does that work?
Approval ratings between 20 and 30% mean that 70 to 80% are against you. No matter what, the majority doesn't approve of you.
But maybe someone falls for that cheap trick.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:04 AM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:32 AM
Romney won some primary, I just saw an email about it.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:07 AM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Bush is stubborn and ignorant.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:45 AM   #34
Refugee

Local Time: 03:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Strongbow
I never really looked into that. Do you have the full quote of what Romney said?
This was an issue in the late innings of a close Florida race. The state was must-win and I think it was unfortunate that McCain threw this accusation out. Would you have been comfortable with Romney as commander-in-chief?

SIMI VALLEY, Calif. - Republican Mitt Romney accused John McCain of using dirty tricks by suggesting the former Massachusetts governor wanted a deadline for withdrawing U.S. troops from Iraq, in a spirited debate Wednesday night that underscored the intensity of their presidential rivalry.

"I have never, ever supported a specific timetable" for withdrawing troops, Romney said. McCain's accusation on the eve of Tuesday's primary, he said, "sort of falls into the dirty tricks that I think Ronald Reagan would have found reprehensible."

McCain stuck to his guns, saying, "of course he said he wanted a timetable" for a withdrawal. McCain had made the allegation in Florida as he tried to shift the debate from the ailing economy, a stronger issue for Romney, a former venture capitalist and businessman.

Last April, Romney said U.S. and Iraqi leaders "have to have a series of timetables and milestones that they speak about" in private.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...,3508375.story
Old 02-03-2008, 09:40 AM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega

Approval ratings between 20 and 30% mean that 70 to 80% are against you. No matter what, the majority doesn't approve of you.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Whenever I bring up the Democratic Congress, most people here blame the Republicans for the failure to get anything done. Clearly, the Democrats are doing a superb job. It's just those pesky minority Republicans.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:01 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:32 AM
I remember an article about Democratic senators and Democratic representatives accusing each other of being responsible for the poor showing since they gained the majority, posted by U2Democrat if I recall correctly. Many posters here responded to that thread and agreed that performance of both wasn't that great, and they did so in other threads. No one there has talked of a "superb job".
However, you are ignoring some basic differences between the reasons for the disapproval of Bush on the one hand, and of the Democratic Congress on the other: Bush get's disapproved of for his very actions, and his habit to exploit his veto rights.
The Congress gets disapproved of for it's perceived inaction, which might partly be true, but is also to some extent the result of Bush's vetoes.

Also, there is a difference in the powers Bush has to "get something done", and those of the Congress consisting of hundreds of people from both parties. The minority power of the Republicans as well as the veto power of Bush certainly is an important factor why nothing gets done.

To compare both approval ratings as if they were exactly the same therefore is void.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:11 PM   #37
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:32 AM
Ahhh, when cooler heads prevail
Old 02-03-2008, 02:29 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Whenever I bring up the Democratic Congress, most people here blame the Republicans for the failure to get anything done. Clearly, the Democrats are doing a superb job. It's just those pesky minority Republicans.

This may be a simplistic explanation

But I believe it is basically correct

For this premise
one must accept these rough numbers

40 % of the country is Democrat or Democrat leaning

40 % are Republican or Republican leaning

20 % are true independents (go both ways)

W's support is in the 30s
All of it is from hard core Republican or Republican leaning,
he has lost 1/4 of that group, 10% the total population.

The Democratic congress support in the 20s.
Who is in this group?

None is from Republican or Republican leaning group.

Some is from Democrat or Democrat leaning,
It takes 60 votes in the Senate to move things, not a simple majority of just 51.
Many expected the Dems to be able to control the agenda.
51 votes will not do that and there are not enough GOP that will vote with them to make the 60 votes.

Many of the true independents are disappointed because they voted for change, too.

Congress approval is in the 20s.

The public wants less of the Republican and W agenda, not more.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:48 PM   #39
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluer White

This was an issue in the late innings of a close Florida race. The state was must-win and I think it was unfortunate that McCain threw this accusation out. Would you have been comfortable with Romney as commander-in-chief?

SIMI VALLEY, Calif. - Republican Mitt Romney accused John McCain of using dirty tricks by suggesting the former Massachusetts governor wanted a deadline for withdrawing U.S. troops from Iraq, in a spirited debate Wednesday night that underscored the intensity of their presidential rivalry.

"I have never, ever supported a specific timetable" for withdrawing troops, Romney said. McCain's accusation on the eve of Tuesday's primary, he said, "sort of falls into the dirty tricks that I think Ronald Reagan would have found reprehensible."

McCain stuck to his guns, saying, "of course he said he wanted a timetable" for a withdrawal. McCain had made the allegation in Florida as he tried to shift the debate from the ailing economy, a stronger issue for Romney, a former venture capitalist and businessman.

Last April, Romney said U.S. and Iraqi leaders "have to have a series of timetables and milestones that they speak about" in private.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...,3508375.story

So what exactly did Romney mean by a "timetable"? It is very suggestive of the Democrats general strategy in Iraq and the word timetable had never been used to refer to anything other than troop withdrawals or unrealistic progress for the Iraqi government, economy, and military. Rebuilding a country the size of Iraq and defeating an insurgency requires years if not decades and will involve plenty of setbacks.

Romney has flipped flopped on issues like Abortion so I'm not sure if this was an attempt by Romney to cater to independents or some Democrats for the general election in the fall. Its certainly no worse than the thousands of attack adds that Romney launched against McCain and refering to John McCain as a "liberal"? Romney used over 5,000 adds against McCain in Florida while McCain was only able to put up 470. I'd say the little arguement about this had nothing to do with the results of the election was was pretty much sealed when McCain got his endorsements. If anything, what McCain said might have backfired a little bit if the charge was seen as being unfair.

I'd vote for Romney over any of the Democrats as well as Ron Paul and few of the other Republican 2008 candidates who dropped out and maybe Huckabee as well.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:57 PM   #40
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega

Yes, I don't know. Only because Bush's approval rating is slghtly above Truman's that now means Bush is loved by the majority? How does that work?
But maybe someone falls for that cheap trick.
Bush's approval rating is not just slightly higher than Turmans, it is 50% higher! Truman had an approval rating of 22% in 1952, Bush in January had an approval rating of 34%. Bush's disapproval rating is NOT 70% to 80% it is 60%.

More importantly, when it comes to elections, even someone who does not approve of the job you have done may vote for you when the see the other candidate. So how Bush would do in a General election in 2008 is much better than simply his approval rating.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:11 PM   #41
Refugee

Romney is making a stunning comback in California if the new Zogby poll is correct. It shows him ahead of McCain by 3 points. Romney has also pulled to within 2 points of McCain in Georgia where he had been behind by 11. If Romney were to win California and Georgia, the race would definitely continue.

McCain has a clear lock at this point on 10 of the 21 states. There are 7 that I have not seen any polls for, and 2 where it is now almost a tie and 2 where Romney has a clear lock. In the national polls for the Republican primary McCain is ahead of Romney by an average of 20 points.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:25 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Romney is making a stunning comback in California if the new Zogby poll is correct.
CA is a closed primary state.

The GOP primary voters do always lean and favor the more conservative candidate.
Moderates sneak by if more than one conservative splits the vote for one moderate.

The voters passed an initiative to allow open primaries.

Both parties fought it in court and won.

This happened just before the 2000 election.
I believe it was the GOP party insiders putting up a fire wall to stop McCain in 2000 in favor of Bush.

Wisely, the Democrat party chose to allow both Democrats, and decline to state (no party affiliation) to vote in their primaries.

With that many independents are focusing on that race and may stay with the Dems in Nov.

McCain would never have gotten this far in a two person race.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:01 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Old 02-03-2008, 04:48 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

another endorsement for McCain

Quote:
LA OPINIÓN
Republican Party: John McCain

Senator John McCain has an independent character free from ideological constraints, which will improve the divisive national political climate. Over the course of his career he has demonstrated a deep understanding of the immigration issue and a desire to provide comprehensive immigration reform. We are not in agreement with many of his positions, such as on Irak, but his inclusive spirit and his pragmatism make him the best candidate among his Republican rivals.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:58 PM   #45
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Still, Bush is very popular among Registered Republicans. All of the candidates have gone out of their way at every debate to state how they support several of Bush's policies. In fact, they fiercely debate who is more supportive of his policies. So obviously this idea that not a single candidate wants to be associated with George Bush is wishfull thinking.

of course, some people are so obsessed with demonizing and reducing the stature of someone that they might miss that.

this is so blatantly wrong, it's funny. it's just wrong. are you watching the debates? do you pay any attention to the careful use of language used by these candidates?

no.

and Bush has lost GOP moderates, and has the highest "strongly diasapprove" ratings in history.

but i know that doesn't mean a thing to you. so carry on.