February 5, 2008 Super Tuesday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
anyway, back on topic. and i'm not going to stray any more in this thread, i do promise.

i honestly have no idea what's going to happen tomorrow night. i do have the sneaking suspicion that Hillary will prevail -- and i think she'd be foolish not to put him on the ticket if she does, doesn't matter that he's from a strategically insignificant state, the dude raised $38m in January alone -- and i think McCain may just take it from Romney. but i can see any formulation of the top 4.

We all know polls are sketchy but I guess this might be the last set we see (up today):

Suffolk: Obama +1 in CA
Zogby: Tied in NJ
Zogby: Obama +17 in GA
Zogby: Obama +5 in MO
Zogby: Obama +6 in CA
Strategic Vision: Obama +22 in GA
Gallup: Clinton +1 national poll
CBS: Tied national poll

I still don't know who I'm voting for tomorrow. I change my mind hour to hour. I'm one of those people they could poll and I'd say one thing and do another.

I am pumped up for my first presidential vote tomorrow. I think McCain's up by about 20 points here.

2861U2 said:
I am pumped up for my first presidential vote tomorrow. I think McCain's up by about 20 points here.

:up:

enjoy it. i remember being thrilled about casting my first vote too. it's great to be a part of the political process.

Eight years ago, I remember how excited I was to cast my first vote in a presidential race. I voted for compassionate conservatism. I voted for Bush. A lot has happened in my life since then, and I won't go into it all here. Suffice it to say though, I am completely cured of any loyalty I ever felt to the Republican party.

I wasn't able to vote in 04 because getting all of the necessary paperwork together to vote absentee while being a Peace Corps volunteer ended up being too much. But I'll never forget walking into work the day of the elections. My African colleagues all eagerly asked me if I had voted (against Bush) and were horrified to learn that I hadn't completed the formalities in time. I'll never forget what they said to me. "You have to vote! The outcome of this will affect all of us around the world, but we have no voice. You have to be our voice. You must vote."

Four years later, I'm glad to be able to make my voice heard.

I'm working the pols from 11:30 to 7:00 tomorrow and I'm going to have squeeze in my vote.

I'll be voting absentee in person on Saturday (my parents as well), all 3 of us for Obama. We'll see the man himself, along with Sen. Clinton that night.

Tuesday is the Chesapeake Primary, VA/MD/DC. Depending on how NOVA goes, that should be a good day for Obama.

U2democrat said:
I'll be voting absentee in person on Saturday (my parents as well), all 3 of us for Obama.

I'm not sure who my mom is going to vote for. My dad has always admired McCain, and my older brother realizes McCain is the most electable, so they'll vote for him. I don't think my mom is sold, though. She listens to Rush everyday and (unlike myself) has taken to heart what he has said about McCain. I bet she goes Romney.

maycocksean said:

So the argument is that any president that is grossly unpopular in his own time must necessarily turn out to be among our nation's best presidents by simple virtue of their unpopularity. That's the argument you're making right? If he's unpopular he must be a great president?

No, just because someone may be relatively unpopular in the opinion polls during part of their Presidency does not mean that will remain so years later.

Irvine511 said:

it's funny when you think that things are the same. that Iraq and Afghanistan are the same country. and GWB is Harry Truman.

it's the most simplistic, unsophisticated analysis of all.

Funny, because your analysis of what I said could not be more simplistic and unsophisticated.

I never said Iraq and Afghanistan were the same country, I said their fundamental problems in developing government, economy, the military, and security were similar. I never said Bush was Truman, I only mentioned the fact that being unpopular at the end of their Presidency because of a war, did not mean that their popularity and the view of the war would remain the same years later.

Strongbow said:
I only mentioned the fact that being unpopular at the end of their Presidency because of a war

There is a VAST difference between Truman's relationship to WWII and Bush's relationship to this current war. There is also a vast difference between the two wars, so once again, your analogy fails.

If the latest Zogby poll for the Republican primary in California is correct....

02/01 - 02/03

Romney 40%
McCain 32%
Huckabee 12%
Paul 5%

...it looks like Romney is going to take California. Romney has also pulled within 3 points of McCain in Tennessee. McCain still has the lead in most places, but this new Zogby poll for California is a big surprise after the heavy lead McCain had established.

Diemen said:

There is a VAST difference between Truman's relationship to WWII and Bush's relationship to this current war. There is also a vast difference between the two wars, so once again, your analogy fails.

The war in question is NOT World War II. It was called the Korean War(1950 to 1953). Truman's unpopularity at the end of his term was do to the country's involvement and Trumans handling of the Korean War which was essentially a Civil War between the North And the South in a relatively poor country.

sulawesigirl4 said:
Eight years ago, I remember how excited I was to cast my first vote in a presidential race. I voted for compassionate conservatism. I voted for Bush. A lot has happened in my life since then, and I won't go into it all here. Suffice it to say though, I am completely cured of any loyalty I ever felt to the Republican party.

I wasn't able to vote in 04 because getting all of the necessary paperwork together to vote absentee while being a Peace Corps volunteer ended up being too much. But I'll never forget walking into work the day of the elections. My African colleagues all eagerly asked me if I had voted (against Bush) and were horrified to learn that I hadn't completed the formalities in time. I'll never forget what they said to me. "You have to vote! The outcome of this will affect all of us around the world, but we have no voice. You have to be our voice. You must vote."

That is so awesome! Thank you for sharing that sulawesigirl!
I grew up in a 3rd world country ( PANAMA) and know what a blessing it is to have the power of the vote here in America!
This election is unique because people are finally fed up and inspiried to vote for change. It's just too bad it takes an almost complete collaspe of our gov. for people of all walks to wake up and vote!
God Bless you! :)

I won't be able to vote until January 2009, which means I miss these primaries and these November elections.

I'm pretty sure my father doesn't vote. But my mother is a registered independent and votes from time to time. She said to me five years ago, "I don't trust a single politician, except for John McCain."

You know I see it coming already. Hillary and Obama were fighting, and it was funny. At least they were honest. Now that so many have dropped out they seem to be making kiss my butt prep to each other so that whichever doesn't get the nom can be VP. Pretending to be friends and patronizing ad nauseum. Fakers. I knew it. All politicians are actors.

Hillary by a nose is probably a victory for Obama.

Not how she imagined Super Tuesday turning out...

this has been a victory for Obama. even if he doesn't win, he's now the biggest rock star in the Senate, and he's more than young enough to bide time and plot and wield his now formidable influence -- he's more a movement, now, than a man -- for the next 4-8 years.

Strongbow said:

The war in question is NOT World War II. It was called the Korean War(1950 to 1953). Truman's unpopularity at the end of his term was do to the country's involvement and Trumans handling of the Korean War which was essentially a Civil War between the North And the South in a relatively poor country.

So you're saying that the war in Iraq is essentially a civil war in a relatively poor country?

sulawesigirl4 said:

Weren't you a Michael Bolton fan back then?:D

I'm just trying to do the math;something isn't adding up.:wink:

dbs

Back
Top Bottom