February 5, 2008 Super Tuesday - Page 25 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2008, 10:40 AM   #361
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:26 PM
A lot of establishment Democrats up there.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:09 AM   #362
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:26 AM
Do we know who won New Mexico yet? I'm happy with these results. I agree with those who think Obama could've taken California if the primary was a bit later. There were a huge amount of absentee ballots cast there over a month ago. I think he's gained a lot of support there since then.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:13 AM   #363
Blue Crack Addict

We don't know NM yet, still about 8% to report in and the margin is very close and Obama has the edge.

I have a feeling it'll stay with Obama because he's done VERY well with the caucuses, but we'll see.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:22 AM   #364
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
We don't know NM yet, still about 8% to report in and the margin is very close and Obama has the edge.

I have a feeling it'll stay with Obama because he's done VERY well with the caucuses, but we'll see.
That's good news, albeit a little surprising considering all we've been told about Hillary having the big edge with Hispanic voters. I'm sure she still does, but if Obama can win a state with a large Hispanic population like New Mexico, that's a good sign.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:29 AM   #365
Blue Crack Addict

If you look at the map, Hillary won most of the typical blue states.

Obama won the red and battleground states.

This is important when looking toward the General.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:38 AM   #366
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Really wish Obama can just pull away. Won't happen with being going against a Clinton though.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:43 AM   #367
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
If you look at the map, Hillary won most of the typical blue states.

Obama won the red and battleground states.

This is important when looking toward the General.
I really need to look at the map breakdown. I had read an article that said Obama was doing very well in the typically Red states, but that was before the primaries actually took place. I need to go do that now.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:01 PM   #368
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
what's interesting is McCain. he's all reach, no base. what propelled him to victory was the anti-war GOP vote.

[q]

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...r-republicans/

[/q]

fascinating.

Given that the number of people in the GOP who are "anti-war" is less than 20% of the party, no one, in the GOP primaries, is being propelled to victory from their votes, even if one assumes this exit poll(which are notorious for being inaccurate) is accurate.

But if it is accurate, it is an indication that the opposition to the war in Iraq is soft which means you could see many anti-war Dems and Independents voting for McCain in November.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:10 PM   #369
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Strongbow

Given that the number of people in the GOP who are "anti-war" is less than 20% of the party, no one, in the GOP primaries, is being propelled to victory from their votes, even if one assumes this exit poll(which are notorious for being inaccurate) is accurate.

But if it is accurate, it is an indication that the opposition to the war in Iraq is soft which means you could see many anti-war Dems and Independents voting for McCain in November.

i'm sorry your boy didn't do better.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:14 PM   #370
Blue Crack Addict

Sting should be more worried about the fact that the Democratic turnout has been enormous, as have their fundraising efforts.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:15 PM   #371
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
McCain will have enormous problems in the general. Nobody has a better GOTV than the evangelicals. If they stay home, he's toast. If he panders to them, he'll lose the independents.
Have they ever stayed home before? I don't think so. There is going to be one person that is pro-life running, and the other person that is pro-choice and that alone will bring most of them out to vote as it always has for the past 40 years.

Plus, now we allegedly have people who are against the war in Iraq supporting McCain. McCain has a longer history of working with members on the otherside of the isle than anyone in government today, let alone Hillary or Obama. Obama may say that he is a candidate for independents and Republicans as well, but McCain actually has a proven record of bipartisanship in his time in the Senate. Obama does not. That bodes well for the general election where many people will be looking past the wonderful sounding speaches towards substance, experience, and some sort of record. Smart independents may be impressed by what Obama says in regards to bipartisanship, but then they will look at the record and see that Obama does not have a record of bipartisanship while McCain does.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:18 PM   #372
Refugee

Quote:

i'm sorry your boy didn't do better.

I wish he had done better. Minnesota, Alabama, Georgia, and Tennessee were all supposed to be McCain victories. Still with 559 delegates and clear front runner status, I think McCain can eventually lock up the nomination.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:25 PM   #373
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Strongbow

Have they ever stayed home before? I don't think so.

in 1992.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:26 PM   #374
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Sting should be more worried about the fact that the Democratic turnout has been enormous, as have their fundraising efforts.
I think they have had more open primaries than the Republicans. Its also more of an indication that the base of the Democratic party is currently fired up. The general election will involve a massive number of people who never bother to vote in the primaries. Republicans have money too, although it does not look like Mitt Romney's money has bought him very much. McCain essentially has no money when compared to Romney.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:28 PM   #375
Refugee

Quote:

in 1992.
The only reason Bush Sr. lost in 1992 was because of Ross Perot. If the evangelicals had stayed home, Bush would have received much less than 38% of the popular vote.