February 5, 2008 Super Tuesday - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-02-2008, 05:11 AM   #16
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,943
Local Time: 04:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511




agreed on both points.

there are more than enough Republicans who loathe Bush to give McCain the nomination.
The vast majority of Republicans support Bush and McCain has been the biggest supporter of Bush's Iraq policy over the past year, so this support for McCain is definitely not some revolt within the Republican party against the Bush administration.
__________________

__________________
Strongbow is offline  
Old 02-02-2008, 05:34 AM   #17
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,236
Local Time: 10:15 PM


How dare you suggest that people don't like Bush, Irvine.
__________________

__________________
Diemen is offline  
Old 02-02-2008, 06:51 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,882
Local Time: 11:15 PM
^Staggers the imagination doesn't it. . .
__________________
maycocksean is offline  
Old 02-02-2008, 08:54 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 04:15 AM
I don't pay any attention to polls.
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 02-02-2008, 08:57 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 04:15 AM
I don't want Huckabee for President.
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 02-02-2008, 09:11 AM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,482
Local Time: 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen


How dare you suggest that people don't like Bush, Irvine.


i didn't suggest it. Bush's abysmal approval ratings since January of 2005 up to the present day and McCain's continued bashing of Rumsfeld and Cheney and his very public disagreements with the administration on their "interogation techniques" and his condemnation about the conduct of the war right up until "the surge" speaks volumes.

this is why the base hates McCain. this is why dyed-in-the-wool Bush people hate McCain. because he's been so publically different from them.

and you'll notice that not a single candidate wants to be associated with George W Bush. you hear Reagan (who, gee, had the good sense to withdraw troops from Lebanaon and then raise taxes in 1986) more than you hear Bush. and you hear Hillary more than you hear Reagan. GBW is electoral poison, and they know this.

of course, some people don't listen.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 02-02-2008, 11:17 AM   #22
Refugee
 
Bluer White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,883
Local Time: 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Strongbow
The vast majority of Republicans support Bush and McCain has been the biggest supporter of Bush's Iraq policy over the past year, so this support for McCain is definitely not some revolt within the Republican party against the Bush administration.
As far as the Romney position on the timetables "buzzword"......do you agree with McCain's characterization of it?

Was it a fair card to play late in the Florida race?
__________________
Bluer White is offline  
Old 02-02-2008, 09:44 PM   #23
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,943
Local Time: 04:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511




i didn't suggest it. Bush's abysmal approval ratings since January of 2005 up to the present day and McCain's continued bashing of Rumsfeld and Cheney and his very public disagreements with the administration on their "interogation techniques" and his condemnation about the conduct of the war right up until "the surge" speaks volumes.

this is why the base hates McCain. this is why dyed-in-the-wool Bush people hate McCain. because he's been so publically different from them.

and you'll notice that not a single candidate wants to be associated with George W Bush. you hear Reagan (who, gee, had the good sense to withdraw troops from Lebanaon and then raise taxes in 1986) more than you hear Bush. and you hear Hillary more than you hear Reagan. GBW is electoral poison, and they know this.

of course, some people don't listen.
Bush has a much lower approval rating given the challenging and difficult task the country is in the middle of, but his approval rating is not as low as Trumans approval rating was before he left office.

Still, Bush is very popular among Registered Republicans. All of the candidates have gone out of their way at every debate to state how they support several of Bush's policies. In fact, they fiercely debate who is more supportive of his policies. So obviously this idea that not a single candidate wants to be associated with George Bush is wishfull thinking.

of course, some people are so obsessed with demonizing and reducing the stature of someone that they might miss that.
__________________
Strongbow is offline  
Old 02-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #24
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,943
Local Time: 04:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bluer White


As far as the Romney position on the timetables "buzzword"......do you agree with McCain's characterization of it?

Was it a fair card to play late in the Florida race?
I never really looked into that. Do you have the full quote of what Romney said?
__________________
Strongbow is offline  
Old 02-02-2008, 11:54 PM   #25
The Fly
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 89
Local Time: 04:15 AM
I don't know any Republicans that like Bush or the party. They tell me there is no Republican party anymore. These were Regan supporters and Bush was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. His rating is lower than Nixon's. The Republican party has big problems. Right now all the Republican media is bashing McCain, and Romney is a Mormon which the Christen Right has a problem with. It should be interesting to see who gets the Republican nomination.
Now on the Democratic side it seems that Obama has a good chance to winning next Tuesday. Most of Edwards supporters and progressive Democrats are moving towards Obama. The progressive Democrats are a powerful grassroots movement in the party and they are the only reason why Howard Dean is now head of the party. I've seen lots of Obama yard signs and there were volunteers for Obama in my neighborhood today. None for Hillary or yard signs. There were lots of Republicans that showed up to see Obama yesterday in my city. There were articles that Obama is appealing to moderate Republicans including President Eisenhower's grand daughter. The media would love for Hillary to get the nomination, but too many Democrats aren't going to vote for her. Don't listen to the news, since CNN, CBS, ABC and NBC etc... aren't reporting what is going on in Democratic party meetings.
__________________
watergate is offline  
Old 02-03-2008, 12:01 AM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 11:15 PM
Every person I know who likes Bush is stubborn or ignorant, which makes complete sense, because those are Bush's two defining characteristics.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 02-03-2008, 12:10 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,251
Local Time: 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by watergate
I don't know any Republicans that like Bush or the party.
Here's one right here. And I don't believe I'm stubborn or ignorant, philly.

Quote:
Originally posted by watergate
They tell me there is no Republican party anymore.
Sure there is. Both parties are going through huge transformations (or fractures- whatever you want to call it.) Regardless of the fall outcome, the Republican party will be just fine.


Quote:
Originally posted by watergate
The Republican party has big problems. Right now all the Republican media is bashing McCain, and Romney is a Mormon which the Christen Right has a problem with. It should be interesting to see who gets the Republican nomination.
I don't think McCain will have a problem with hardcore conservatives come the fall, especially if Hillary is the opponent. I have a feeling that after an entire summer of listening to her talk, the Limbaughs and Coulters of the world will have no choice but to, as Roberta McCain put it, "hold their nose" and go vote for him.

Quote:
Originally posted by watergate
Obama has a good chance to winning next Tuesday. Most of Edwards supporters and progressive Democrats are moving towards Obama.
I don't think either Democrat will do well enough to "win." I think Hillary will gain more delegates.
__________________
2861U2 is offline  
Old 02-03-2008, 12:13 AM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2
And I don't believe I'm stubborn or ignorant, philly.
I'm just mentioning that about my friends who like Bush.

I think the ignorance in people following him is usually from people who don't follow politics.

Most of the Bush supporters, IMO, are just stubborn.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 02-03-2008, 05:37 AM   #29
Jesus Online
 
Angela Harlem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Strongbow


Bush has a much lower approval rating given the challenging and difficult task the country is in the middle of, but his approval rating is not as low as Trumans approval rating was before he left office.
And thank god, eh? Your frequent mentioning of Truman is starting to get me thinking that it actually matters.
__________________
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/angelaharlem/thPaul_Roos28.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aul_Roos28.jpg</a>
Angela Harlem is offline  
Old 02-03-2008, 05:53 AM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 02:15 PM
Look at the plus side, if he was concerned with poll ratings his policy would be a weather vane that betrayed any supposed convictions for cheap populism, oh wait.
__________________

__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com