Feb 12: Chesapeake/DMV/Beltway Primaries - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2008, 12:33 AM   #91
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:37 AM
U2democrat - did you see this?:

(sorry if it's already been posted)

Obama: Virginia governor on my 'short list'

Kaine endorsed Obama early last year.

WASHINGTON (CNN) — Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine has hitched his wagon to Barack Obama's star, and if Obama pulls out a win today in the Virginia primary it could pay dividends for Kaine's political future.

Kaine was one of the first politicians outside of Illinois to endorse Obama last year and his name has been floated repeatedly as a potential running mate for Obama were he to win the Democratic nomination.

On Monday, Obama was asked by a Virginia radio host if Kaine would be on his "short list" (he didn't say for what).

"He will certainly be somebody who is on my short list to have a role in my administration," Obama said.

Kaine, elected governor in 2005, is considered an up-and-comer by some national Democrats because of his success in the traditionally red state and his willingness to speak openly about his faith (he is a Catholic). After his election, Kaine was invited by the national party to give the Democratic rebuttal to President Bush's State of the Union address in 2006.

Obama told WRVA radio that Kaine "is as fine a public servant as we have in this country."

The 50-year old governor gave Obama a rousing introduction at last weekend's Jefferson-Jackson dinner in Richmond, an annual fundraiser for Virginia Democrats where the Illinois senator was warmly received.

Kaine was asked several times by reporters on Saturday about being on the ticket with Obama, and he seemed to welcome the attention.

"People get mentioned in lists, but I'm one of the Obama co-chairs nationally and I'll be advising him," Kaine said. "I've got some different ideas for him. I think I can be very helpful to Sen. Obama."

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

Old 02-13-2008, 01:14 AM   #92
Blue Crack Addict

^ I think he should go for a female who isn't Hillary. I like the governors of Kansas and Arizona. On the other hand, any Barack-governor ticket is still going to be weak of foreign policy, which is a concern, especially vs. McCain.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:44 AM   #93
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:37 AM
And then Kaine can take over in eight years in Sorkin-like fashion
Old 02-13-2008, 03:31 AM   #94
Refugee

Local Time: 10:37 AM
About who is liberal, who is right-wing etc., this is all a question of perspective. People tend to see themselves close to the 'centre', the median, etc. (not everyone, but most), so who is on the left or on the right varies tremendously. If your surroundings, family, are more right-wing (in a US sense), the US media can look liberal, and from the perspective of most of the rest of the world, even the Democrats (and also CNN and many American media) would be sort of centre-right.

Left and right all depends from where you're standing.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:56 AM   #95
Blue Crack Addict

i hope Kaine doesn't go for vp. i like him right where he is. VA needs him. he's done some great stuff for us.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:49 AM   #96
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Varitek
On the other hand, any Barack-governor ticket is still going to be weak of foreign policy, which is a concern, especially vs. McCain.
Not so with Richardson, who would not only pull in the Latino votes but is an excellent diplomat (earning 4 Nobel Peace Prize nominations), having negotiated with North Korea, Saddam Hussein and Castro as a former U.S. ambassador to the UN. He would be an excellent choice for Obama.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:08 AM   #97
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by unico
i hope Kaine doesn't go for vp. i like him right where he is. VA needs him. he's done some great stuff for us.
I agree. It doesn't surprise me at all that he's on the short list since he was the first Gov. to endorse Obama a year ago, he's put a lot at stake to travel around the country and campaign for Obama.

However, he LOVES being Governor, and I don't think he's so ambitious that he'd take VP. He'd rather stay in Virginia politics, and we Virginians want to keep him

ETA-However, when his term is up in 2009 (and Virginia governors can't run for consecutive terms), I can see him being involved in an Obama administration as some form of economic advisor.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:14 AM   #98
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat

ETA-However, when his term is up in 2009 (and Virginia governors can't run for consecutive terms), I can see him being involved in an Obama administration as some form of economic advisor.
I'd be cool with that! I don't plan on being in the state in 2009 anyway
Old 02-13-2008, 10:22 AM   #99
Blue Crack Addict

As long as you come back for my graduation

Judging from the results last night, Obama could very well put Virginia in play in November if the Republicans are still disillusioned by then.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:44 AM   #100
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
Judging from the results last night, Obama could very well put Virginia in play in November if the Republicans are still disillusioned by then.

and this is one reason why Memphis and i might choose Arlington over living right in DC. that, and the fact that we'd have Congressional representation. but then again, the gay hate laws in VA are from the 14th century, so you never know.

if Virginia went blue ... wow, just thinking about it gives me tingles.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:46 AM   #101
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

and this is one reason why Memphis and i might choose Arlington over living right in DC. that, and the fact that we'd have Congressional representation. but then again, the gay hate laws in VA are from the 14th century, so you never know.

if Virginia went blue ... wow, just thinking about it gives me tingles.

Yeah, Virginia sure ain't for lovers. I'm still bitter over that 2006 vote, I can only imagine how that makes you feel.

A blue Virginia....................................
Old 02-13-2008, 12:44 PM   #102
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

# of votes in Virginia:

Obama 623,141

McCain 244,135
Huckabee 198,247
Paul 22,056
Romney 17,532

481,970 Republican total.

So Obama alone received 140k more votes than all the Republicans combined.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:53 PM   #103
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ntalwar
# of votes in Virginia:

Obama 623,141

McCain 244,135
Huckabee 198,247
Paul 22,056
Romney 17,532

481,970 Republican total.

So Obama alone received 140k more votes than all the Republicans combined.
That is freaking amazing!
This Obamania is for real. It's not a fad and it ain't going away!

It's more than a movement....it's like a rebirth of our country or something! I just can't get over it!!! The pundits are all saying that this is a moment our nation has never seen before!
Too excited for words.. .!
Trying to contain myself because I know the pain of getting my hopes up way too high, but I just can't stand it!