Fear of recruiting christians - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2007, 11:42 PM   #106
War Child

Local Time: 12:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

Sorry to disappoint you, but. . .no.

What is a "heathen" by the way?
Check out wikipedia for the word heathen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paganism

You didn't disappoint me. I'm very happy to hear that, actually.

And I hope you are true to your heart. Because to my heart, Bible is no more than a dark themed fairy tale collection book.

And feel sorry for the people who rather hear my lie. If the truth have made anyone felt uncomfortable or offended, I'm sorry, but the truth is the truth. So please don't lie to me, either.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:55 PM   #107
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by butter7

Check out wikipedia for the word heathen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paganism

You didn't disappoint me. I'm very happy to hear that, actually.

And I hope you are true to your heart. Because to my heart, Bible is no more than a dark themed fairy tale collection book.

And feel sorry for the people who rather hear my lie. If the truth have made anyone felt uncomfortable or offended, I'm sorry, but the truth is the truth. So please don't lie to me, either.
Thanks for the wikipedia link. I don't use the word "heathen" regardless of it's actual meaning because it has an insulting vibe to it. . .

I certainly don't desire for you to lie. If I have an issue with anything, it would be your condescending tone and presumption that you know all about how believers think. . .like I said earlier, you seem to like creating straw men.

That may have something to do with your last statement "I'm sorry but the truth is the truth." Usually that type of combative stance spells trouble, whether it comes from an atheist or a believer.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:13 AM   #108
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

Thanks for the wikipedia link. I don't use the word "heathen" regardless of it's actual meaning because it has an insulting vibe to it. . .

I certainly don't desire for you to lie. If I have an issue with anything, it would be your condescending tone and presumption that you know all about how believers think. . .like I said earlier, you seem to like creating straw men.

That may have something to do with your last statement "I'm sorry but the truth is the truth." Usually that type of combative stance spells trouble, whether it comes from an atheist or a believer.
hehehe, I guess it's only a matter how people see it.

Until now, no one has contribute anything on the progress of the discussion and the question that I asked, majority of people only stick on the three words I used "fairy tale addiction" and passionately started bashing. I guess you've read last night's posts, all the bullshit flowing across the sky like shooting stars! I couldn't help myself laughing my head off this morning, when i read them again.

Couldn't believe myself actually jointed in a meaningless, 3 pages long, off-topic dicussion!

Shall we go back to the topic now? okay, page 5, post 3.

Any comments?
Old 05-17-2007, 12:21 AM   #109
She's the One

Local Time: 05:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by butter7
all the bullshit flowing across the sky like shooting stars!
You're not making as much sense as you think you are. You keep insulting people, saying inflammatory crap, and then retracting your statements when people call you on them and acting hurt and misunderstood.

This isn't a good start for you in FYM.

The truth is the truth.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:30 AM   #110
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

You're not making as much sense as you think you are. You keep insulting people, saying inflammatory crap, and then retracting your statements when people call you on them and acting hurt and misunderstood.

This isn't a good start for you in FYM.

The truth is the truth.
Quote:

WTF does this mean? I'm fully in this thread's discussion. Too damn bad if you don't like what I say.
Why you think I act like hurted and misunderstood? I agree in some level, last night's discussion went lose to a wrong direction, which actually appears to me very funny, when I look at it this morning.

I do agree that due to some sugar effect, some phrases I used last night should be given a second consideration before I click the submit button.

Glad you tell me the truth how you think about me though. I usually not very interested in FYM, PLEABA is much more attractive to me, due to some obvious reasons.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:34 AM   #111
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:46 AM
Quote:

The truth is the truth.
And you know that truth, right?
Old 05-17-2007, 12:35 AM   #112
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

And you know that truth, right?
I know ME.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:39 AM   #113
War Child

Now, can we back to the track, continue the dicussion which has been cutted down on page 5, post 3?
Old 05-17-2007, 01:10 AM   #114
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:46 AM
Re: Fear of recruiting christians

Quote:
Originally posted by dazzlingamy
Ok, my mum who is also an atheist has a friend, who is quite christian. Now as i've said in the past, I don't mind if people are religious, I just don't want to talk about it with them, or have it shoved in my face (wearng the cross and thanking God doesn't constitute shoving it in my face for the nitpickers)

Now this woman, has been trying to get my mum to go to some of her christian meetings and mum has respectfully declined, as well, she isn't a believer, nor does she want to be one. Now my mum is in her middle 50's, lives alone (well did, until we moved back in) and lives a crazy stressful and rather lonely life. This woman has been getting increasingly forceful with her comments about mum's life and I feel preying on my mums insecurities (being alone) by making it seem like only welcoming jesus into her life will make her feel better.

Yesterday she left 3 msgs in the space of two hours on the answering machine telling mum she had something "really" important to tell her, and when mum got back she said she had popped in an the woman was there with a few of her friends and they tried to get mum to admit she needed jesus and go to church with them!! Mum was laughing, but I AM NOT. My mother is a strong woman, but i am scared that these people will prey on her weaknesses, and when i go overseas i won't be here to protect her from them. You may think its a harsh thing to say, but nothing good can come from this. I feel sick at their sly advances, trying to "recruit" my mum, and feel its totally against what they preach, about understanding and evertything. Why would you want to bully someone into your religion? What good would that do them to be coerced and made to feel shit about themselves in order to believe.

I understand if you want to spread "his" word, but i feel like these people are going about it all the wrong way, and I really want to say something to them, but don't want to get down and have some dirty slanging match, which im sure it will turn into, as im really REALLY pissed at this.

Why do some people do this? I don't understand the concept behind it at all.
You and your mum have my sympathies. I've been on the receiving end of the hard sell many times. I can understand your unease as these so-called friends do seem to be preying on your mum when she is at a potentially low point, but she seems to be pretty good at deflecting them. Laughing is always a good sign in my book.

If you are really worried about how she will deal with them when you are away, talk to you mum about it. Your mum sounds pretty spunky. Chances are she's enjoying their attempts and is in no danger at all of falling for their spiel. Several people in our little community, including my mum (and to lesser extent, me) were targeted by a family who switched denominations and "found" God (I was unaware he/it was missing). Invites to lunch, over to visit, and phone calls all were preludes to the type of browbeating you describe (one on one though -- I don't think in the case I'm talking about they ever brought reinforcements. That is mighty creepy, especially if they came to you mum's house). None of the people I knew bought what they were selling. However, recountings of the experiences brought much merriment for years afterwards.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:15 AM   #115
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Thanks indra and everyone else for commenting again.

I have shown mum the thread, and she was very interested in the replies, and she promised me, she won't ever go to church with her friend, so i feel better.

I guess to be honest, im scared of these sort of religious people. The ones who seems completely wrapped up and lost in religion, like fundies i guess. I just completely don't understand where their complete fervour and conviction comes from, and how they can maintain it and yes in the past i have compared these sorts of people to being well perhaps slighty deranged, but i guess its more on my part of not knowing how they can be that "obsessed" with the intangiable, more then me trying to pick a fight. I just could not deal if my mum ever started like that.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:20 AM   #116
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:46 AM
Well certain people in here have proven my point, that it goes both ways...