Fear of recruiting christians - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2007, 12:38 PM   #91
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by butter7

No....why?
Because for a religious person it is all but a "fairy tale addiction".
It's an insult if you imply they are addicted to believe in a fairy tale.

You can view this board the way you want, but there is no difference whether people are talking eye to eye or writing on an internet forum. They do feel insulted by this.

Just as it is insulting for some, for me personally it's laughable, to tell atheists something of lake of fires and so on. Or that they are immoral and evil and responsible for all the bad in the world.

This is the internet, right, and it's a discussion. But it doesn't change the fact that you have to watch your words. Because it doesn't matter whether spoken or typed, you are insulting with these.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:42 PM   #92
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:22 AM
Quote:

No....why?
It would be like if I said your love for your wife is a farce.

How can you not see that as a personal attack?

Old 05-16-2007, 01:00 PM   #93
War Child

Local Time: 04:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

It would be like if I said your love for your wife is a farce.

How can you not see that as a personal attack?
thanks Vincent for the explaination. I think you made a good point.

so, I apologize if I offened you and any religious people who read my post, I'm sorry for make you feel bad.

PS...

Ironically, even you only making an example, I think your love for your wife is a farce is hit the truth somehow. I do believe that at the end, the only thing belong to a person is that wood box. Love didn't worth much. Needs play a much better role in maintening a relationship.

I might left the one I love, but I would never left the one that I need.

PPS...

I'm a girl, and single, and have no boyfriend.

PPPS...

Anyone interested?
Old 05-16-2007, 02:35 PM   #94
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:22 PM
Butter- that is a sad way of looking at love. Do you truly believe that the only worthwhile things in this life are things you can hold in your hands?
Old 05-16-2007, 03:11 PM   #95
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:22 PM
I'm not religious either, so no offense taken.

However, this attitude that this is just the internet and I can write what I want is very popular, but not true at all. What you write can hit someones feelings, so people shouldn't take it too lightly.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:45 PM   #96
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega
I'm not religious either, so no offense taken.

However, this attitude that this is just the internet and I can write what I want is very popular, but not true at all. What you write can hit someones feelings, so people shouldn't take it too lightly.
Sorry, I got your point, but today, I have to take some of my words back. from:

Quote:

You are saying that some religious people don't think God exist? Just like some smokers don't think smoke kills?

A bit weird to me...if they don't think God exist, what they believe in then?
to this post (not included).

Took too much sugar, and being really cheap last night.

The explainations I made in these posts was truly not worthfull and extremely lack of self respect. I certainly wished I could please some people. But I was wrong, completely.

I acknowledge that fact that I should have use more diplomatic phrases when posting in a fire line thread like this, and should have carefully consider some of the words that I used in the following quote.

Quote:
err....

A little thoughts here....

Any one here (atheist) want to try to "save" one or two religious people from their fairy tale addictions?
However, I shouldn't have apology to anyone for mentioning what I truely believe. Especially consider about the fact that they could publically shouting out their believes and never have considered my (and many others) feeling. I shouldn't have downgrade and humiliate myself by applying far too strict standard to myself. So I took all the inappropriate words back.

To popsadie:

What these things would mean to me if I couldn't hold them in my hands, or even chasing them? I'm no longer the little girl who believes that one day a real prince would come on a white horse. to ask me to marry him.

Putting a smile on a sad face means 1000 times more than a glorious empty promise. That's why I truly admire Bono for the work he's done for the people who need him.

I'm a materialist, but I'm not material driven. Materials/Money is not everything, but without them, you (and me) are nothing. I only be able to get your opinion, because both of us have payed for the computer divices, internet connection and some people here have payed membership, too. You post means something to me, but if I haven't read it, how I gonna know/feel it?

Why you love someone? When you love someone, do you want them to love back? And what if I said I love you, mean while I tortured you? Could you feel the love throught the physical and mental abuse? To me, love someone = treat the individual the way he/she wish to be treated; A wish = Needs.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:37 PM   #97
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by popsadie
Butter- that is a sad way of looking at love. Do you truly believe that the only worthwhile things in this life are things you can hold in your hands?
A materialistic explanation of love doesn't cheapen it; it is there to feel good and make long term social connections which have a whole lot of added benefits for offspring. Love is an addiction to facillitate beneficial mating strategies; does it cheapen the feeling - no - because it still feels good (just as Peyote doesn't become less "spiritual" to believers when mescaline was discovered).

A relationship with God is as much mental masturbation as unrequited love, in fact moreso because the object of this imbalance is an nonentity. I may lack the capacity to have the first but I do know the second and it is more than possible for ones mind to develop a "relationship" (as in a fondness, a euphoria when thinking of them etc.) without actually having any real connection; I guess that when it happens with "God" you never have to do a reality check.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:08 PM   #98
Acrobat

No..Love is not only a feeling. It is also a commitment to another. I must admit that materialism is a practicing philosophy that severely annoys me. Your equation of a relationship with God or a lover to a feeling that you can get from peyote is narrow at best and insulting at worst.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:41 PM   #99
She's the One

Local Time: 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
A relationship with God is as much mental masturbation as unrequited love, in fact moreso because the object of this imbalance is an nonentity.
Says you. Because apparently you know all.

As usual.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:48 PM   #100
Acrobat

You know..I'm not calling atheists heartless or heathen. Why does it seem ok for atheists to tell me I'm "worshiping a fairy tale or mentally masturbating?
Old 05-16-2007, 10:58 PM   #101
War Child

Quote:
You know..I'm not calling atheists heartless or heathen. Why does it seem ok for atheists to tell me I'm "worshiping a fairy tale or mentally masturbating?
Telling the truth, do you think atheists heartless or heathen?

Not very much agree on the mentally masturbating part though...
Old 05-16-2007, 11:08 PM   #102
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

I don't think all missionary action is necessarily bad. But I also don't believe it's bad behaviour on behalf of one group - this has been systemic, over centuries. It is very arguable whether missionary actions have been more beneficial or harmful to local populations, but this is a matter of historical perspective.
I'll have to concede this point to you. The history of missionary activity has been pretty ugly I have to admitt. I'd probably be more inclined to say harmful. . .

But here's a point to ponder. . .perhaps the most egregious abuses of missionary activity have happened when Christianity has been harnessed to earthly power and authority. When the missionary represents and endorses a conquering power bent on wealth and domination, missionary activity is going to reflect that as well.

Now granted the Jehovah's Witnesses are hardly harnessed to earthly power and authority, nor do they seem to be seeking it (as opposed to a lot of the religio-political folk on the Right in the U.S). But among Christian groups that don't have some additonal, less than holy agenda, they ARE a bit unsual in their aggressive methodology.

Might I also suggest that belief in hell might also encourage aggressive and yes, even underhanded or manipulative, missionary activity as the stakes become ridiculously high when you really believe you're saving people from an ETERNITY in torment.

Hell is such a horrific dogma. . .every time I write it, I'm just shocked that people can believe in it and a loving God at the same time. . .but I digress. . .

Quote:
I mean, consider this statement made by the Pope just a couple of days ago:

To me, that's simply outrageous. .
Yeah, it is. A bit of wishful thinking there. . .

Quote:
I actually really like what Bill Maher said on his show when he was discussing Jesus Camp. He had an evangelical woman on who stated that if you see somebody hungry on the street, would you not be compelled to feed them? And he replied with essentially: why can't you understand that I'm not hungry? .
I think the fact that he's "not hungry" would be news to her. Many Christians are under the impression that everyone who doesn't "know the Lord" are miserable and unhappy.

But then again, judging from certain posts by others on this thread, Christians certainly don't have the market cornered on making condescending and ill-informed judgement about others who don't share their outlook on life.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:14 PM   #103
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Lack of respect is no respecter of religion or lack thereof. . .

And A_Wanderer considers disrespect for those he believes are wrong a basic part of his world view so I wouldn't expect anything less than mockery from him. . .he believes it's his duty.

But at least he's up front about it, and ironically I suppose that is a kind of respect.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:16 PM   #104
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Telling the truth, do you think atheists heartless or heathen?
Sorry to disappoint you, but. . .no.

What is a "heathen" by the way?
Old 05-16-2007, 11:32 PM   #105
Acrobat

I don't think atheists are heartless. My mother is an atheist and I don't see that at all. Still, it seems like several atheists on this board have no problem with labeling christians as "wishful thinkers" or even "mental masturbaters", which is what I take offense with.