Fatigue.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
i don't know about anyone else, but i'm completely and totally burned out on politics. like much of the country, i was obsessed with the 2004 election -- debates were like the playoffs and the election was like the Super Bowl (we had a party ... that ended early, and in misery). i remember being sleepless with elation after Kerry destroyed Bush in the first debate, i remember watching closely the post 2nd debate spin by Karen Hughes, i remember frequenting a multitude of websties for analysis, different polling sites for up-to-the-minute polls in PA, OH, and FL. it was an exhausting fall, the result was (imho) a total failure, and now i can't even bear to watch news regarded politics anymore. Bush continues to disgust me, but i'm also now disgusted with the whole process, Democrats included, the theater of the whole thing having been laid bare by the result of the election.

anyone else feel the same way? like you've lost what little faith you might have had in the system? like it's all such utter bullshit, and you knew that, but you thought that maybe you could make it a little bit better and then -- BAM! -- life comes and smacks you in the face and instead of getting angry you just get tired and want to move to California and sit on the beach for a little while?

this could apply to exhausted republicans too. i can't imagine that they're particularly proud of the means that were used to get to an end, even if the end was optimal.

This is why I don't invest much time/energy/money in politics.

It can eat you up. Some people thrive on it, but I don't find it uplifting or edifying in any way.

I think we can have far more significance in life when we focus on the things directly around us. Sure, we can support causes and charity; but for true investment of self, we need not go far or think "big" to make life better.

:hug: Irvine

I have to stay somewhat involved because there are things that may/or are coming down the road that directly effect my already struggling to rebalance my life, and these possible actions would/could be seriously devasting to my life. I have to write letters, phone calls, show up at some protests/hearings etc.

besides there is always the possibility of Turnabout & Turnaround re Team Bush [getting them out]....people older than me who've been in political action far longer see the cycles that i've not totally experienced yet.

[What I do do is stay away from it on weekends for the most part and some weekday eves {I'm an Air America :heart: Junkie!} because it can get me into a downward fear/depression spiral I can't afford as I try to continue to repair my life.

yes I still beleive in various type of politics. There ARE some good public servants out there.

My suggestion is take a break if you need it, but come around for either a local race [mayor] and definately for the 2006 House of Reperesentives races! If we Dems {i'm a Liberal Dem and working Families Party voter]can get back the house we csan start to stop at least some of Team B' awful plans.

ANd hell, you should know this PHRASE..."the personal IS the political". As a gay man you know it and I as a women & liberal know it.

Yes, I've felt this way for awhile now, to the point that I don't know if I'll ever snap out of it. :slant: I got obsessed with the 2004 election pretty early, when I started working for a certain Dem way before the primaries. It was fantastic for awhile, and I really believed in what I was doing, so I really threw myself into it. After seeing the whole campaign basically implode in a matter of days, and the millions of dollars we had helped raise kinda disappear....I've been burnt out and disgruntled ever since. I did get a bit involved in Kerry's campaign later, also went to debate parties etc, but my heart wasn't in it. :|

Personally....although the outcome of the election wasn't what I had hoped, I'm just glad the damn thing is over. It was getting so nasty from all sides.

nbcrusader said:

I think we can have far more significance in life when we focus on the things directly around us. Sure, we can support causes and charity; but for true investment of self, we need not go far or think "big" to make life better.

Agree. :up:

I'm just the opposite...politics is what fuels me. It kindles my passionate flame. On Nov. 3rd however i felt pain that i have never felt before...like my soul had been hit by a speeding train. But i picked myself back up, and with these state races gearing up i've bounced right back and have more energy than ever before. we're all different. :hug:

it's not so much about the result, but disillusionment with the process itself. the nastiness of it. the thuddingly obvious contrivances. the fact that, it appears to me, as if the Republicans have learned how to work the system to such an extent that it makes all the bells and whistles and smoke and mirrors so obvious, that it's disillusioning.

i'm just exhausted.

speaking of nastiness, the republicans are gettin MEAN here in the VA governor's race. and not toward a democrat...but another republican! there was an article on it in the washington post today. what they're doing is horrible.

I have fatigue about winter. At least when I see Bush et al I can just change the channel. Obviously that doesn't change reality, but it still helps a tiny bit.

Nov 04 is just something I try not to dwell on :sigh: I'm just worried about 08 now.

i really mean this as not an anti-Republican thing, but an anti-politics thing.

though this analogy did occur to me.

what Wal-Mart is to capitalism, so is the modern Republican party to democracy.

they just do it better.

U2democrat said:
speaking of nastiness, the republicans are gettin MEAN here in the VA governor's race. and not toward a democrat...but another republican! there was an article on it in the washington post today. what they're doing is horrible.

That's just politics. Republicans and Democrats do the same thing. The democratic primaries last year had their fair share of infighting as well.

I hear ya, irvine! I haven't read Time magazine since before the election. I was pretty obsessed with the 2004 election; once it was over, I felt burned out on partisan politics. I still keep up with the situation in the Middle East because I'm attracted to that culture; as you know I'm going to Turkey next year, and I like to know what's generally going on in Turkish politics. Plus, this is obviously for another thread, but Iraq is starting to look interesting. I feel like I did what was expected of me as per the election was concerned; I attended some campaign functions, even got on TV the night of Kerry's speech to the DNC, hit some rallies, and voted. Now I'm more concerned with local matters. I expect Roy Moore to run for governor next year and I do plan to be involved in his opponent's campaign because he's even more obnoxious than Fob James, whom we dumped as governor in 1998 after he'd pissed off everyone and his brother. It's impossible to avoid the Scrushy trial, needless to say. The guy's on his way to the slammer for sure. I feel badly for his kids, but not him, he's an :censored:hole. I haven't watched television news since the election. The only things I've watched on TV have been U2 appearances and figure skating lately. Screw the political stuff. Maybe we should start a club, the Burned Out on Politics Squad. :wink:

Last edited:
I even turned off Bill Maher in the middle of the show the other night.

Thank you, Irvine, from the bottom of my worn-out little heart. I'm sick to death of it all. And I don't know that I care anymore. I know I don't believe anymore.

Good luck, U2democrat. Keep your faith. Maybe you'll change it all.

I'm glad we have people like you dem. Someone's got to get out there to work to promote some candidates for 2008 or we're f:censored:d. I'm sure I'll be involved in the campaign when it's time to be, but right now I'm really glad there's not a campaign going on! Whew! I'm tired. I'll stick to U2, Coldplay and figure skaters for now, at least on TV, thank you very much.

The politics of failure have failed. We need to make them work again.

Edit: Here's the reference.

Last edited:
Crushing disappointment is exhusting. Thank God for people like U2Democrat, who will carry on while people like me hide their heads until a sunnier day. Who knows of some sites where the weary and dissillusioned can find some hope for the future? I could sure use some (love ya, Irv).

Maybe you should all vote for the Libertarian party next time......

That's would I'd do...:)

What is it that Bono says - you can only become disillusioned if you had illusions to start with.:ohmy:

For me, I realize that the organizations that I volunteer for are TOO IMPORTANT in the lives of real people to become disillusioned.

If I give up and wallow in confusion, I would be allowing the forces of disease and poverty to overwhelm others and indirectly allow them to suffer and die.

So I WON'T BURN OUT. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom