Fate or coincidence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guaca

Refugee
Hello everyone,

I was just wondering something. Does anyone believe in fate. Recent things have happened that cause me to think that there is a higher being involved. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part and just a coincidence. At times I think why has this happened and how, and other times I think ok there is a reason for everything and the only reason that I think that is because I want it to be true.

Was just wondering what your thoughts were. Thank you for your time.

I believe that everything happens for a reason and that there is a higher being involved. Sometimes we know why when it happens what the reason is, sometimes we don't until later in life, and unfortunately sometimes we may never know...

For example, I had a car accident a year or so ago, and totaled the car. I broke my hand, and fractured the bone under my eye from where my glasses broke. When I was in the emergency room, they noticed my heart rate was unusually high, and wasn't slowing down, given the circumstances. They found out that I had hyper thyroid with a heart rate of over 100. I hadn't been to the dr. in years, and if I hadn't been injured and had to go to the hospital, I may have never found out until it was too late.

------------------
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by ABEL (edited 05-11-2002).]

I believe in coincedence.

------------------
T? m? ?seal.
T? m? ard.
T? m? tana?.
T? m? ramhar.
T? m? bean.

I believe in fate, karma, coincidence, and God.
wink.gif

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you...

ABEL,

I think fate was on your side and I'm thankful for that. I like to think there is such a thing as fate. It's funny, there was someone who was there who I've seen, who I know but never crossed paths. And after I posted something there he was. And he has helped me. And I had to ask myslef why and why now. It doesn't make any sense. But then again, it's probably just me d\being melodramatic and putting too much stock in everything.

Thanks for your thoughts, I still have no idea why but it's very strange to say the least.

I'm off to have a hopefully Happy Mothers Day. To everyone else enjoy your day.

Peace

The Bible talks about "time and unforeseen circumstance" that can happen to anyone...not fate.

------------------
See the bird with the leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colours came out

go coincedence! If our life is all neatly planned out does that make us string puppets?

------------------
T? m? ?seal.
T? m? ard.
T? m? tana?.
T? m? ramhar.
T? m? bean.

I don't really consider fate as being planned by any means. I can't explain really what I mean I just think sometimes things happen for a reason and when there are no hands involved in it how did it come to be. I don't know but what most of you seem to believe make me very sad.

I guess it's all in perception really. I want to believe that someone was watching over me and brought something to be because of the sense that I needed it. But maybe I'm wrong.

I don't believe in fate.

I've always wanted to believe that I'm in control of my life. If fate, or something else, is actually in control of what will happen to me, why bother in living and making decisions at all? If I believe that God, or some other higher being, is controlling what happens to me, I lose a part of my personality. I like to believe that I control my world and my life around me to a certain extent.

When someone dies, and a person trying to comfort you says 'God has His reasons,' I don't find that comforting at all. I believe in God... but I also believe He gave us free will. Meaning, if we want to sin, we can sin. If we want to do good, we can do good. If we want to control what happens to us in our life, we can do that. I think that believing more in ourselves than fate is more optimistic than believing everything is already planned out.

But people often get what they deserve. I guess that's part of 'karma.'

------------------
i'm too busy to see you
you're too busy to wait

Originally posted by martha:
You're not wrong.

I think that some things do happen for a reason because God is watching out for us or sometimes we may make the wrong choice and need a push in the right direction, even if at the time it may be a bad circumstance in our life. We can always ask why, but only God knows.

I believe that we do controll our own lives, and that God lets us make our own choices. I do not think that our lives are planned out. I believe in coincidences too, sometimes there is no reason for things happening.

But some things can't be explained by just mere coincidence.

------------------
-Albert Einstein

Both -

If you have heard the story about my Mom's death - you would no that it wasn't a story of coincidence. But, I believe that there are a lot of "Co-inkey-dinks" in life. But I also believe in fate - like there is a pre-set story unfolding for us as we live.

hmmm.... this is interesting... one of the definitions of karma, is FATE

kar?ma
n.
1. Hinduism & Buddhism. The total effect of a person's actions and conduct during the successive phases of the person's existence, regarded as determining the person's destiny.
2. FATE; DESTINY.
3. Informal. A distinctive aura, atmosphere, or feeling: There's bad karma around the house today.

from dictionary.com

------------------
-Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by ABEL (edited 05-12-2002).]

Originally posted by ABEL:
hmmm.... this is interesting... one of the definitions of karma, is FATE

kar?ma
n.
1. Hinduism & Buddhism. The total effect of a person's actions and conduct during the successive phases of the person's existence, regarded as determining the person's destiny.
2. FATE; DESTINY.
3. Informal. A distinctive aura, atmosphere, or feeling: There's bad karma around the house today.

from dictionary.com

The first definition is the one that matters. The other two are Western adaptations of the concept.

------------------

You have fairly generic bunions. --my podiatrist, 4-11-02

Most people quote this from the Bible:

I again saw under the sun that the race is not to the swift, and the battle is not to the warriors, and neither is bread to the wise, nor wealth to the discerning, nor favor to men of ability ...

But everyone usually forget what follows:

for time and chance overtake them all.
Eccleiastes 9:11

And that, I believe, is the point.

Grace... she travels outside of karma.

[This message has been edited by theSoulfulMofo (edited 05-13-2002).]

Originally posted by martha:
I don't believe in fate or coincidence. At the risk of pissing off the faithful, karma is always at work. That, and God of course.

totally agree

Originally posted by RavenStar:
go coincedence! If our life is all neatly planned out does that make us string puppets?

no, not puppets at all, but the concept of karma means that all of our experience is based on the causes that we ourselves put forth--either in this lifetime or another. Karma=cause & effect.

I would actually say that it is one's fate to experience the effects of the causes one puts forth.

[This message has been edited by joyfulgirl (edited 05-14-2002).]

Abel, in saying that I believe in karma, I mean that I believe in cause and effect. I believe you reap what you sow. I do not believe that your life is already mapped out for you, and no matter what you do, you will come to the same conclusion.

At times i ask myself "who am i ?" with great seriousness and soon i cant help but smile and loosen and expand when i realise i am nothing......think about it are u your mind? your body? did u create any of these .....nope nopity nope i sure didnt create myself,i seem to be a vessel a creation created by THE force,God,universal mind to experience itself in as many ways as possible,all the colours,nothing good or bad just wholenesss....and who am i to judge and know and seperate this from that....when it all IS...i am nothing and hmmmmm the trip is i am everything....what a great big wonderful trip.........LURVE IT.....FREEEEEEEEEE........BEEEEE

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom