Fans Protest Soap Opera- Gay Couple Needs To Kiss More - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2008, 10:40 AM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I remember that episode. At least Willard Scott wasn't kissing either one of them or anyone for that matter *shudder*

Old 03-09-2008, 11:20 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

This is silly and im not homophobic but there is no way the channel or producers should introduce more gay kissing as it may put of the mainstream viewers as they might boycott the show in protest.

British views on homosexuality are more relaxed than in America so it might not be much of an issue here, but on British tv we often just see gay couples hugging.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:22 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by vaz02
This is silly and im not homophobic but there is no way the channel or producers should introduce more gay kissing as it may put of the mainstream viewers as they might boycott the show in protest.

British views on homosexuality are more relaxed than in America so it might not be much of an issue here, but on British tv we often just see gay couples hugging.
Let them boycott. The producers, writers, etc. shouldn't have to compromise their artistic integrity (I know it's a soap, but I'm sure they have some tiny piece of artistic brilliance somewhere....maybe not. ) in order to placate some close-minded, bigoted fools.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:21 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest

Let them boycott. The producers, writers, etc. shouldn't have to compromise their artistic integrity (I know it's a soap, but I'm sure they have some tiny piece of artistic brilliance somewhere....maybe not. ) in order to placate some close-minded, bigoted fools.
But sponsorship and advertisement fat cats will boycott and then the channel would have no choice other than to pull the show. Its sad but they would most likely do it. Products wouldnt like to be associated with the show and some male consumers wouldnt buy the products advertised because they feel it would undermine their masculinity.

p.s its tv, they have no artistic integrity, they much prefer sex ( as long as its female - male action), drugs and scandal over artistic brilliance anyday.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:02 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by vaz02

But sponsorship and advertisement fat cats will boycott and then the channel would have no choice other than to pull the show. Its sad but they would most likely do it. Products wouldnt like to be associated with the show and some male consumers wouldnt buy the products advertised because they feel it would undermine their masculinity.

p.s its tv, they have no artistic integrity, they much prefer sex ( as long as its female - male action), drugs and scandal over artistic brilliance anyday.
Well, we agree on the fact that there is no real art involved in making a soap opera. That being said, they shouldn't have to hold back on this situation because they might be making people uncomfortable. People who are offended because two men are in love are the ones with a problem and the ones that need to seriously re-consider their point of view.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:01 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest

Well, we agree on the fact that there is no real art involved in making a soap opera. That being said, they shouldn't have to hold back on this situation because they might be making people uncomfortable. People who are offended because two men are in love are the ones with a problem and the ones that need to seriously re-consider their point of view.
But would tv networks be willing to risk viewing figures and commercial revenue by doing so and people who feel offended by two men becoming passionate need to reconsider their position in society because there is absolutely nothing wrong about two people loving each other regardless of gender or sexuality.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:04 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

The networks only care about money and ratings, period, so I doubt it. That shouldn't stop the producers at the soap from at least trying stand up for their position, though.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:24 PM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Or, more aptly, how prudish and cowardly our network executives are. Of the ones I'm familiar with, they have pretty much no creativity or, for that matter, an original thought at all. The very few who do, over the course of history, of course, typically end up as "mavericks" who do really well. But most executives are strictly sales and business-centered. They're not asking how they can make a show better; they're asking how they can get more advertisers and how they can get more shows that appeal to the demographics that advertisers want. And, of course, they would never want to do anything that might drive away advertisers, for any reason, so they are extremely conservative and risk adverse.

I think, generally speaking, this is why most American television is the equivalent of the output from a "cookie cutter." That's because it is.

yup.

it's all about the bottom line.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:10 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:38 AM
This is serious business

gays are out to destroy us.

Quote:
Lawmaker: Gays Are Worse Than Terrorists

on 03-10-2008 14:34

OKLAHOMA CITY, OK -- The Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund has posted a video on YouTube in which an Oklahoma state legislator says homosexuals are destroying America and are more dangerous than terrorists.Sally Kern

State Rep. Sally Kern (R) made the remarks in a speech to a small group of people and did not know that she was being recorded.

"Studies show that no society that has totally embraced homosexuality has lasted more than, you know, a few decades," Kern said in her speech.

"I honestly think it's the biggest threat our nation has, even more so than terrorism and Islam."

"They're going after our young children as young as two years of age, trying to teach them that the homosexual lifestyle is an acceptable lifestyle."

"One of my colleagues said we don't have a gay problem here in our community [...] You know what, to me that is so dumb. If you got cancer or something in your little toe, do you say you're just going to forget about it because the rest of you is fine? It spreads. And this stuff is deadly and it spreads and it will destroy our young people and it will destroy this nation," Kern concludes.

Kern confirmed to Oklahoma City TV station KWTV that she in fact was the woman speaking in the recording.

She also said that she stands by the comments.

"What is wrong with me as an American exercising my free speech rights on a topic that is a very big issue today?" she said.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:15 AM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:38 PM
Makes sense to me, you know those Muslims are also on the level when it comes to opposing the homosexual agenda; common ground for a brighter tomorrow.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:16 AM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

so ... you're saying i can be a rainbow bridge of understanding between radical Christianists and radical Islamists?

Old 03-11-2008, 12:21 AM   #27
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:38 AM
Quote:
"What is wrong with me as an American exercising my free speech rights on a topic that is a very big issue today?" she said.
I love how when bigots say something, they always come back to this line of thinking once they get caught.

Of course you are allowed to say it, you're just a moronic bigot for saying it...

Good going Republicans for voting another bigot in...
Old 03-11-2008, 12:22 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:38 AM

Would this woman lie?

She put her hand on the Bible and took an oath to protect and defend the Constitution.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:23 AM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

like Larry Craig in a dress?

Old 03-11-2008, 12:37 AM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
I love how when bigots say something, they always come back to this line of thinking once they get caught.

Of course you are allowed to say it, you're just a moronic bigot for saying it...

Good going Republicans for voting another bigot in...
These right-wing neandertals forget that "free speech" is a two-way street. She has every right to be a raving bigot; we have every right to call her one. That's the nature of free speech!