Family values

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Windmilllane

War Child
Why are family values such a hot issue lately?

I've been hearing that the reason Bush won the election was because of family values.

What the fuck???

Fuck family values. What the fuck does family values mean? I mean, do these assholes think we live in 1950's America where families still eat dinners together at night and shit. Maybe I sound bitter because I will never have a family of my own. But let's be realistic here. I know a lot of people in their 20's and 30's who don't ever want to settle down and do the family thing. They want to fucking go clubbing every night if they can and party till they die. I know a lot more people who don't have kids and don't want to have kids, than people who do have kids. People who have kids are miserable. Why do you think Scott Peterson killed his wife? He is young and he didn't want to do the family thing. I'm not saying that what he did was right. The guy is a scum bag. But my point is, there are a lot of Scott Petersons who don't want to settle down. They are young. They want to fuck around as much as possible. Who cares if they are immature and irresponsible. Chris Rock said it best: you have two choices, Married and bored or single and lonely. I'd rather be single with freinds. I'd rather be a bachelor for the rest of my life.

Again

Fuck Family Values

This is 2004, where young people (ages 18-35) want to fuck around. Do you think the girls from the Girls Gone Wild videos want to settle down someday? I think not.

I'm with ya! I've been single all the 18 years of my life and I enjoy it. Marriage and commitment is something I'm not looking forward to. Maybe I'll change as I get older.

U2democrat said:
I'm with ya! I've been single all the 18 years of my life and I enjoy it. Marriage and commitment is something I'm not looking forward to. Maybe I'll change as I get older.

My advice?

Fuck marriage. There's a 50 percent chance that you will get divorced anyway. There is no such thing as fidelity anymore. People cheat without giving a second thought. And if you get married and have kids, it's even worse. Because the whole divorce process could get ugly and messy when there is kids involved. So don't have kids if you decide to get married.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Did you know that married men are the most content group of people in the US?

The reason they are content is that they can fool around and cheat on their wives with many women, and still come home to their wife at night.

Husband: Honey, it looks like I have to work late at night again.

We all know that "work" means :censored: his hot female co-worker.

i'm utterly baffled. is this a "moral values" voter impersonating their sense of the Other? as in, Laci Peterson died because of America's pagan values, much like the Falwell/Robertson assertion that we brought 9-11 upon ourselves because of the abortionists, homosexuals, and feminists?

or maybe no. like i said, i'm flummoxed.

fun post though.

Marriage is something I decided not to do, for several very personal reasons. Two of my siblings have been through divorces, but this hasn't kept my other sister from getting engaged. My brother is happily re-married to a woman who also has been through a divorce. They've written two books together, about divorced parents and now making a marriage work. Marriage is wonderful when it works. When it doesn't, it's tough. It's one of the biggest mistakes people make when they assume it's for everyone. It's not.

I'm not impersonating anybody. I am just so frustrated that a dickhead like Bush got reelected simply because America cares more about fucking Family Values than young people dying in Iraq every god damn day. Bush is such a sneak. He harped on the importance of Family Values, just so he can distract people from thinking about his fucking war. It makes me sick that young people are dying in Iraq because Bush wanted to finish the job that his daddy couldn't finish. Motherfucker...

Bush can take his Family Values and shove it up his ass. Family Values? Give me a break. He wants to protect the sanctity of family and marriage. Well, guess what: Marriage is a joke in this country. Chris Rock is right. How the fuck do we say marriage is sacred when we got all these fucked up shows about who wants to marry a dwarf, a millionaire and so on.... People don't stay married anymore. How would anybody want to get married??? It's beyond me... If you want a boyfriend or girlfriend, fine.... The relationship will, sooner or later, end and you move on.... They should outlaw marriage, if you ask me.

Windmilllane said:
Bush can take his Family Values and shove it up his ass. Family Values? Give me a break. He wants to protect the sanctity of family and marriage. Well, guess what: Marriage is a joke in this country. Chris Rock is right. How the fuck do we say marriage is sacred when we got all these fucked up shows about who wants to marry a dwarf, a millionaire and so on.... People don't stay married anymore. How would anybody want to get married??? It's beyond me... If you want a boyfriend or girlfriend, fine.... The relationship will, sooner or later, end and you move on.... They should outlaw marriage, if you ask me.

hey, you'll get no argument coming from me when it comes to the denigration and cheapening of marriage at the hands of .... heterosexuals.

Windmilllane

Please review Pax's post at the top of the list. If you have an issue to discuss, there are plenty of willing, able and intelligent members ready to join you.

I don't really look forward to marriage. Being with someone forever? Fine, but no marriage. Now, I won't know if/who I want to be with forever until I meet them. And kids? I'm very torn about whether I want kids or not. But the bottom line is this: if I meet the woman I see as a good mother for my kids, I'll probably want them. If I don't meet that woman, I probably won't want them. If that makes any sense.

did you know that the state with the lowest divorce rate is Massachusetts, home of John Kerry and some of those Northeast liberals? While Britney Spears, who had a 56 hour marriage followed by a wedding to a guy who left his pregnant girlfriend for her. Go figure.

As for marriage, if you take it from the right angle and take it seriously, then I say go for it. I could never see myself getting married, I still think 27 is young to get married even though it's above the U.S. for a woman. But I also found someone that I can truly spend the rest of my life with. The idea that divorce provides me with a get out free card never crosses my mind. I can understand why some people -- especially those who have experienced divorce first-hand -- have problems with marriage, but don't write it off yet. If you find someone you love, you don't always have to break up with them and you don't have to marry them. If you just want to live in the same house, so be it.

The concept of morality is so narrowly focused in this country. The "Bible Belt" has the highest national divorce rate, while Masschusetts has the lowest national divorce rate. For people who are looking to find the sanctity of marriage, look no further than Massachusetts. I'm gay and I hope someday I can find someone special and get married (legal or otherwise). Gays have been getting married for 1000's of years. The difference is that these days having a government recognized union is more important legally than it used to be, and it is something worth fighting for.

President Bush's orders have killed 100,000+ Iraqi civilians in less than two years. It took the evil Saddam 30 years kill 250,000, and he was actually trying. When a woman makes a mistake or someone attacks her, and she gets an abortion, we call it infanticide. When our government makes mistakes that take away life, they call them regretable accidents on the path towards freedom.

BTW, I found the weapons of mass destruction. We've got them, and we're not afraid to use them.

Love and peace or else. :heart:

datatyme said:

President Bush's orders have killed 100,000+ Iraqi civilians in less than two years. It took the evil Saddam 30 years kill 250,000, and he was actually trying. When a woman makes a mistake or someone attacks her, and she gets an abortion, we call it infanticide. When our government makes mistakes that take away life, they call them regretable accidents on the path towards freedom.
[/
B]

on an aside note, i wonder how many pregnant women have been killed in Iraq, i.e., "collateral damage."

I love my husband, I love my son, and I love being married. If years ago someone told me I'd be living the life I'm living now, I would've laughed in their face. I was pretty content with clubbing every night and fucking around back then.

I know marriage isn't for everyone, some people are better off not being married and god knows some people shouldn't breed.

If someone finds love and feels it in their heart to marry, good for them. If others choose a different route, then great. To each their own, I guess...

Back
Top Bottom