Faith-based voters should be shot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macfistowannabe

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
“The trouble with this group, which I call the theocrats, is they want their faith to dictate what the government does. That, in a word, is un-American. That is exactly what the Founding Fathers put down their plows and took up muskets to fight.”

- Chuck Schumer (D-NY)

deep said:
So you are in favor of groups like the Taliban?

I think he said he's against faith based voters. Am I missing something?

I think it's a matter of where you put your faith. Some put it in God, but unfortunately He's not running in my state, so I have to put my faith in someone else.

UberBeaver said:

I think he said he's against faith based voters. Am I missing something?

I think it's a matter of where you put your faith. Some put it in God, but unfortunately He's not running in my state, so I have to put my faith in someone else.

I think the purpose of this thread was to make the Dems look anti-religious.

But, Mac can explain for himself, if he would care to.

I think it is best to let God be in charge in Heaven.

In the mean time we should all try and get along and let people apply their faith- based beliefs over themselves.

I don't know how you make the leap from that quote to the conclusion that Chuck Schumer thinks faith based voters should be shot-that's quite a leap of logic and of credulity. That's not at all what he is saying.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I don't know how you make the leap from that quote to the conclusion that Chuck Schumer thinks faith based voters should be shot-that's quite a leap of logic and of credulity. That's not at all what he is saying.
Consider it an achievement in abstract thinking. :wink:

Of course he isn't saying that. He is however saying that faith-based voters are un-American theocrats... you know, the types who the Founding Fathers would have shot at.

deep said:
I think the purpose of this thread was to make the Dems look anti-religious.
Some are, some aren't. Those who aren't, I have my disagreements with politically, but elsewhere we have common ground. Those who are tend to blame "religion" as the cause of all the world's problems, and therefore, hold hostility towards those who have a sense of accountability for their actions outside of their own conscience.

deep said:
But, Mac can explain for himself, if he would care to.
And I will - I slightly exaggerated Schumer's exaggeration on faith-based voters. They want politicians to appeal to people of faith, and "to dictate" is quite a stretch if you ask me. The Republican Party, for example, will often shy away from the culture wars once they get in power. In other words, they put fiscal and foreign policy ahead of social policy for the most part.

deep said:
I think it is best to let God be in charge in Heaven.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears to be a subtle way of saying "leave God out of politics." I think that religion indirectly influences politics - few run for office specifically to enforce a religious agenda. Democracy is run by the people. If the people have strong religious beliefs, there will be politicians who make an impression on them in order to appear faith-friendly and accountable.

deep said:
In the mean time we should all try and get along and let people apply their faith- based beliefs over themselves.

There have been times when faith-based voters HAVE made all the difference in the world. Take slavery, for example. One of the classic arguments against it was that it was un-Christian-like and immoral. If every generation took a firm absolutist stance that faith and morality should be left out of it, it would have taken much longer to overcome social injustices.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Um, no.

I'd consider it trolling. For the intent of this thread is obvious and very transparent.:|
:rolleyes: <- at the "trolling" remark...

You obviously missed the point of my "abstract thinking" comment. It often serves as an excuse to distort the message behind it.

Macfistowannabe said:
“The trouble with this group, which I call the theocrats, is they want their faith to dictate what the government does. That, in a word, is un-American. That is exactly what the Founding Fathers put down their plows and took up muskets to fight.”

- Chuck Schumer (D-NY)

Rhetoric. The Founding Fathers took up their muskets to fight taxation without representation. Since at least a century prior the America's were drawing immigrants because it had been ruled they would be allowed to worship freely here.

Read a damn history book Schumer.

martha said:

Is he wrong? :scratch:
It's a gross comparisan - the Founding Fathers shot at those who threatened their lives. So really, it depends on whether you find present-day America to be as bad of a place to live in as the Revolutionary War period, which I doubt many people do.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
And you obviously don't know what abstract means.
I know what you think it means - the license to hallucinate a message into a deeper meaning than the author intended.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
That doesn't even make sense.:|

But nice try.
Of course something so specific would never give you in the left mind any room to allow it to make sense.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
:rolleyes: Mac, it doesn't make sense because I dismissed it as abstract thinking, so how could I mistake what abstract means?
Of course we know what it means.

And of course my spin on the thread title was intentional.

Macfistowannabe said:

He is however saying that faith-based voters are un-American theocrats... you know, the types who the Founding Fathers would have shot at.

He's saying that the idea of anyone's faith determining what the government does is un-American, according to Chuck. You know, separation of church and state and all that. In God we trust, but God doesn't sit in the Oval Office-sorry GWB.

MrsSpringsteen said:
He's saying that the idea of anyone's faith determining what the government does is un-American, according to Chuck. You know, separation of church and state and all that. In God we trust, but God doesn't sit in the Oval Office-sorry GWB.
I very well know that - but he has rhetorical issues that can turn people off. Especially those "un-American theocrats" who cite biblical verses on the subject of charity to define what they believe to be the role of government.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Where does the Bible site the role of government?
Good question.

"For the Lord's sake accept the authority of every human institution, whether of the emperor as supreme, or of governors, as sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to praise those who do right." I Pet. 2:13,14

"As servants of God, live as free people, yet do not use your freedom as a pretext for evil." I Pet. 2:16

"First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for everyone, for kings and all who are in high positions, so that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and dignity." 1 Tim. 2:1,2

"...Honor the emperor." I Pet. 2:17

"Give therefore to everyone what you owe: taxes to whom taxes are due; customs to whom customs; respect to whom respect; honor to whom honor." Romans 13:7

"...Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's." Matthew 22:21

Macfistowannabe said:
Good question.

"For the Lord's sake accept the authority of every human institution, whether of the emperor as supreme, or of governors, as sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to praise those who do right." I Pet. 2:13,14

"As servants of God, live as free people, yet do not use your freedom as a pretext for evil." I Pet. 2:16

"First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for everyone, for kings and all who are in high positions, so that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and dignity." 1 Tim. 2:1,2

"...Honor the emperor." I Pet. 2:17

"Give therefore to everyone what you owe: taxes to whom taxes are due; customs to whom customs; respect to whom respect; honor to whom honor." Romans 13:7

"...Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's." Matthew 22:21

None of that says anything about the role of government, it says how one should honor the government.

BIG DIFFERENCE!!! Come on, do you really think I'd ask you that question if I didn't know the answer?

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:

None of that says anything about the role of government, it says how one should honor the government.

BIG DIFFERENCE!!! Come on, do you really think I'd ask you that question if I didn't know the answer?
So what are you implying? There's no suggestion of a theocracy found in the Bible, whatsoever. Much of it is left for us to determine.

Macfistowannabe said:
Of course we know what it means.

And of course my spin on the thread title was intentional.

But you apparently don't know what trolling means - creating a thread with a sensational title with the intent of riling up anger = TROLLING.

Don__t_feed_the_Troll.jpg

Macfistowannabe said:
So what are you implying? There's no suggestion of a theocracy found in the Bible, whatsoever. Much of it is left for us to determine.

I'm not implying anything. I'm telling you there's nothing in the Bible that says how a government should be ran or the role of the government.

Macfistowannabe said:
I very well know that - but he has rhetorical issues that can turn people off.

The Dean Doctorine:
HATE REPUBLICANS
...and everything they stand for

Deanism n. What "McCarthyism" used to mean.

I know the sentiment.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom