Faith & DNA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
Bedrock of a Faith Is Jolted

From the time he was a child in Peru, the Mormon Church instilled in Jose A. Loayza the conviction that he and millions of other Native Americans were descended from a lost tribe of Israel that reached the New World more than 2,000 years ago.

"We were taught all the blessings of that Hebrew lineage belonged to us and that we were special people," said Loayza, now a Salt Lake City attorney. "It not only made me feel special, but it gave me a sense of transcendental identity, an identity with God."

A few years ago, Loayza said, his faith was shaken and his identity stripped away by DNA evidence showing that the ancestors of American natives came from Asia, not the Middle East.

"I've gone through stages," he said. "Absolutely denial. Utter amazement and surprise. Anger and bitterness."

For Mormons, the lack of discernible Hebrew blood in Native Americans is no minor collision between faith and science. It burrows into the historical foundations of the Book of Mormon, a 175-year-old transcription that the church regards as literal and without error.

What level of importance is given the Hebrew bloodline connection for Mormons?

read the entire article

basically all religions set themselves up for things like this
when they claim an absolute truth

the article suggest they will modify some of their claims

the greater Christian faiths have been doing this for centuries sometimes with proclamations
and sometimes by just letting their faith evolved into a more reasonable set of beliefs.

a 175-year-old transcription that the church regards as literal and without error.

Quite a universal Judeo-Christian-Muslim problem, eh? :eyebrow:

nbcrusader said:

Actually, no.

"Literal" and "inerrent" are two different matters.

Maybe---but unfortunately, it seems like many of the parts that are taken literally are often those that are quite amiss...

nbcrusader said:

"Literal" and "inerrent" are two different matters.

it's an awfully thin line.

i also like how Mormons become the punching bag of other brands and breeds of Christianity. it's wonderfully convenient.

That is getting to be a tiresome dodge to any thoughtful discussion. Raise an issue regarding Islam - Christianity diversion. Raise an issue regarding the Patriot Act - Christianity diversion. Lather rinse repeat. Wonderfully convenient.

If you want to discuss the difference between "literal" and "inerrent" - feel free.

nbcrusader said:
That is getting to be a tiresome dodge to any thoughtful discussion. Raise an issue regarding Islam - Christianity diversion. Raise an issue regarding the Patriot Act - Christianity diversion. Lather rinse repeat. Wonderfully convenient.

If you want to discuss the difference between "literal" and "inerrent" - feel free.

Nbc, I think I'm just confused as to how you think the difference actually plays out in real life. :confused:

Literal
According to wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn:
# actual: being or reflecting the essential or genuine character of something; "her actual motive"; "a literal solitude like a desert"- G.K.Chesterton; "a genuine dilemma"
# without interpretation or embellishment; "a literal depiction of the scene before him"
# limited to the explicit meaning of a word or text; "a literal translation"
# avoiding embellishment or exaggeration (used for emphasis); "it's the literal truth"

Inerrant
According to wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn:
inerrable: not liable to error

Basically, when you take something literally, you take it exactly as it is. When you believe something is inerrant, you believe it is perfectly true.

Different words and different ideas, but in order to take something literally, one must believe it to be true--inerrant, if you will. If one doesn't believe the world was created in 7 days, one doesn't take the text literally. If one does believe it, well, then that person believes the statement to be inerrant. Sure, the Qur'an is taken absolutely literally by many---because they take the one line "This Book is not to be doubted" literally....the book is thus inerrant in their minds. Even though a great many people do not take the Bible absolutely literally and do not believe it to be inerrant, I don't think it needs to be pointed out that many people do take quite a large chunk of it quite literally. When it comes to faith, you don't interpret some text literally if you don't believe it to be inerrant... :shrug: Does the idea of Creationism exist because the Bible isn't taken literally? Or because it's believed to be inerrant? You need both in order to even think that Creationism makes sense. Would religious groups be against homosexuality if the Bible were not to be taken literally, or if it were not believed to be inerrant? Would some Muslims not believe that fighting for the sake of God is okay if they didn't take the section "Permission to take up arms...........God knows but you do not" literally, or if it were not inerrant? I can list more examples from Christianity, Islam, or Judaism...for hours...but I have to be somewhere in 20 minutes!

Basically, I think any difference between "literal" and "inerrant" is great on paper & semantically, but when it comes to real life practice, the two are inseparable.

Utoo said:
Basically, I think any difference between "literal" and "inerrant" is great on paper & semantically, but when it comes to real life practice, the two are inseparable.

I would say "inerrant" says that the words used in Scripture are those of God, not man, and that there was no error when recorded. It speaks to the specific words used in the Hebrew and Greek. This avoids the problem of giving more value to words recorded by one writter over another.

"Literal" suggests that it means exactly what is says on its face. Creation is a good example. Genesis says that God created various things on different days. By imposing a literal meaning on the English translation - you are forced to go with a 24-hour period. The Hebrew word can mean a period of time - whether 12-hours, 24-hours or a longer period of time. Same principle can be drawn from the book of Daniel, which speaks of "weeks" when it really refers to periods of 7-years. The 7-year interpretation is internally correct.

I point our the distinction as the number of Christians who follow the "literal" translation (sometimes called "Young Earth" Christians) is statistically insignificant.

The book's narrative focuses on a tribe of Jews who sailed from Jerusalem to the New World in 600 BC and split into two main warring factions.

The God-fearing Nephites were "pure" (the word was officially changed from "white" in 1981) and "delightsome." The idol-worshiping Lamanites received the "curse of blackness," turning their skin dark.
"As I look into your faces, I think of Father Lehi [patriarch of the Lamanites], whose sons and daughters you are," church president and prophet Gordon B. Hinckley said in 1997 during a Mormon conference in Lima, Peru.
Mitochondrial DNA aside, this part of the narrative has never made much sense from a Jewish history perspective because Lehi--the father of Nephi and Laman, the one who allegedly set sail in 600 BC--is described by the Book of Mormon as being from the Tribe of Manasseh (Joseph's son; this was one of the "Lost Tribes" scattered by the Assyrians in 722 BC--Lehi's family purportedly escaped this fate because they were living in Jerusalem, a plausible enough circumstance). So, Lehi doesn't trace his ancestry through the Tribes of Judah or Levi (as all modern-day Jews do, on account on the loss of the other Tribes).

The problem this raises is that the practice of describing all Israelites, regardless of Tribal origin, as "Jews" (a term orginally referring *only* to members of the Tribe of Judah) does not come about until well into the Babylonian captivity (beg. 586 BC), which Lehi missed out on. Yet in the Book of Mormon, Nephi--purportedly speaking in his own voice--repeatedly describes himself, Laman and their people as "descendants of the Jews," a strange claim for a self-professed Manassite who could not have known about the terminology change to make. He also describes Lehi's language as being "the language of the Egyptians" (in accord with Mormon beliefs that Joseph Smith translated the Book from gold plates inscribed in "reformed Egyptian," comprehensible only through divine inspiration)--a very strange first language for a 6th-century BC Manassite living in Jerusalem to be speaking.
The latest scholarship, they argue, shows that the text should be interpreted differently. They say the events described in the Book of Mormon were confined to a small section of Central America, and that the Hebrew tribe was small enough that its DNA was swallowed up by the existing Native Americans.
Can mitochondrial DNA really be "swallowed up"? It hasn't happened to the Jews, despite a similarly long period of diaspora and intermarriage.

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:

it's difficult not to point out hypocrisy whenever it rears it's head.

so be it.

:shrug:

:scratch: I really don't see what's inherently hypocritical about it...yall can question the bases of his beliefs...why is he not allowed to question theirs? If a person believes in some things which cannot be proven rationally (and who doesn't)...that's tantamount to forfeiting their right to question the purportedly rational bases of other beliefs? Belief in the absolute truth or rightness of some things (love? justice? freedom?) means you aren't allowed to question the absoluteness of other things ever? Culture would be a pretty impoverished animal if we always applied that standard.
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Interesting, I thought this would be about the genetics of faith.
It is. It's about a scripture that stakes its authenticity on a claim to a traceable human ancestral lineage. Traceable to one particular individual who migrated from one precise location to another at one precise point in time. In the "literalist" version anyhow.

Last edited:
Maybe we should do a DNA test on Roman Catholic communion. After all, according to the concept of transubstantiation, the bread and wine literally becomes Jesus' body and blood (rather than the Protestant concept that Jesus is just present within the bread and wine).

I would love trying to see Cardinal Rat try to explain that.

Melon

Irvine511 said:
it's difficult not to point out hypocrisy whenever it rears it's head.

so be it.

:shrug:

Christians don't want to acknowledge that their leaps of faith are no different in logic than that of their enemies. As such, they focus on the difference of substance.

Melon

The God-fearing Nephites were "pure" (the word was officially changed from "white" in 1981) and "delightsome." The idol-worshiping Lamanites received the "curse of blackness," turning their skin dark.

Is this an Old Testament story?

I never really knew the origins of white supremacy. Wow.

Although I can relate to the notion of a group of people thinking they are superior through purity of blood. In some circles of francophone Quebec, if you can trace your lineage to the original founding families (I think there are a handful) of la belle province, you are considered "pure laine" (pure wool), and therefore a "true" quebecois.

AliEnvy said:
Is this an Old Testament story?

I never really knew the origins of white supremacy. Wow.

No. It's strictly from the Book of Mormon.

I wouldn't say that this is the origin of white supremacy. On the contrary, passages like this exist because of how prevalent white supremacy was back in the 19th century. All non-whites were primitive savages in need of "civilizing."

Melon

AliEnvy said:
Although I can relate to the notion of a group of people thinking they are superior through purity of blood. In some circles of francophone Quebec, if you can trace your lineage to the original founding families (I think there are a handful) of la belle province, you are considered "pure laine" (pure wool), and therefore a "true" quebecois.

I'm a direct descendent of one of the Mayflower settlers. I wonder if that makes me a "true" American? :sexywink:

Melon

yolland said:
:scratch: I really don't see what's inherently hypocritical about it...yall can question the bases of his beliefs...why is he not allowed to question theirs?

Thank you. Sometimes elements of gamesmanship replace intelligent discussion. I appreciate the insight you've offered in this thread.

melon said:

I'm a direct descendent of one of the Mayflower settlers. I wonder if that makes me a "true" American? :sexywink:

I'm a direct descendent of Robert Burns, the Scottish poet. I wonder if that makes me a philandering drunkard.

We both betray our blood...cheers!

:lol:

yolland said:
It is. It's about a scripture that stakes its authenticity on a claim to a traceable human ancestral lineage. Traceable to one particular individual who migrated from one precise location to another at one precise point in time. In the "literalist" version anyhow. [/B]
In this case yes, and it is one that can be effectively falsified. I was really touching upon the

The genetics of faith would probably be the basis of belief biologically. What conditions in human neurology lead to the imperitive of faith, how are these expressed (the ability to will a sense of pleasure for instance). I think that as these questions become better understood it will raise some extremely serious issues to the faithful, far more threatening to cherished beliefs than geology or biology. Faith is a behaviour, did it evolve or was it just invented.

[q] I really don't see what's inherently hypocritical about it...yall can question the bases of his beliefs...why is he not allowed to question theirs? If a person believes in some things which cannot be proven rationally (and who doesn't)...that's tantamount to forfeiting their right to question the purportedly rational bases of other beliefs?[/q]

[q]Thank you. Sometimes elements of gamesmanship replace intelligent discussion. I appreciate the insight you've offered in this thread.[/q]

Melon pretty much answered this -- it just seems hypocritical to question the leaps of logic by other religions when all of religion is a leap in logic.

i sensed that this thread was simply another way of trying to assert one's religion as being "more real/rational than thou" and doing that through attacking another religion.

also, and while i'm not terribly sympathetic to many of the teachings of the Mormon church, i am very sympathetic to many Mormons who are among the nicest people i know. i grew up in a town with a relatively high percentage of Mormons (for the East Coast) and it is interesting to hear how much they resent being, as i said, punching bags for other Christians. basically, those crazy Mormons are no more crazy than anyone else who bases their lives around irrational thoughts and ideas (again, not that there's anything wrong with that, as yolland pointed out, we all do it ... let's just not think that some of us are a little bit less irrational than others).

this is also why i have some sympathy for Scientologists -- not *Scientology* itself -- but for those who practice a certain belief system and are ridiculed often most viciously by those who are themselves of another strong faith. the ridiculing of one religion over another -- and this is distinct, i think, from the ridiculing of religion itself -- is a sign of doubt and weakness, not faith and strength.

A_Wanderer said:
What conditions in human neurology lead to the imperitive of faith

It suggests the hardwired will to survive/live is stronger than acceptance of inevitable death.

A_Wanderer said:
how are these expressed (the ability to will a sense of pleasure for instance).

The ability to will life after death.

No, after brain death there is nothing, a brief but enjoyable trip as the brain shuts down, no thought or conciousness, might as well say that someone in a vegetative state is in a better place. Belief in the afterlife not only accepts inevitable death, it embraces it.

A_Wanderer said:
Belief in the afterlife not only accepts inevitable death, it embraces it.

Hmmm, I would say it explains death in a way that makes it acceptable and provides a reason to embrace it...the biological urge is still life.

Life after death suggests not only what might happen to you when you die, but the legacy you leave behind to be continued on when you're gone.

Last edited:
A_Wanderer said:
No, after brain death there is nothing, a brief but enjoyable trip as the brain shuts down, no thought or conciousness, might as well say that someone in a vegetative state is in a better place. Belief in the afterlife not only accepts inevitable death, it embraces it.

you know, as much as i hate to think it, you're probably right.

all other explanations seem like little more than smoke and mirrors.

a thought i once had -- there is no afterlife, there is no reincarnation, there is simply the awareness of consciousness (and the dread of the ending of that consciousness) that all human beings possess for our brief period on earth.

Back
Top Bottom