Faith & DNA - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2006, 09:32 PM   #16
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:50 AM
I really don't see what's inherently hypocritical about it...yall can question the bases of his beliefs...why is he not allowed to question theirs? If a person believes in some things which cannot be proven rationally (and who doesn't)...that's tantamount to forfeiting their right to question the purportedly rational bases of other beliefs? Belief in the absolute truth or rightness of some things (love? justice? freedom?) means you aren't allowed to question the absoluteness of other things ever? Culture would be a pretty impoverished animal if we always applied that standard.
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Interesting, I thought this would be about the genetics of faith.
It is. It's about a scripture that stakes its authenticity on a claim to a traceable human ancestral lineage. Traceable to one particular individual who migrated from one precise location to another at one precise point in time. In the "literalist" version anyhow.

Old 02-17-2006, 07:50 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:50 PM
Maybe we should do a DNA test on Roman Catholic communion. After all, according to the concept of transubstantiation, the bread and wine literally becomes Jesus' body and blood (rather than the Protestant concept that Jesus is just present within the bread and wine).

I would love trying to see Cardinal Rat try to explain that.

Melon

Old 02-17-2006, 07:51 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
it's difficult not to point out hypocrisy whenever it rears it's head.

so be it.

Christians don't want to acknowledge that their leaps of faith are no different in logic than that of their enemies. As such, they focus on the difference of substance.

Melon
Old 02-17-2006, 08:34 AM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 01:50 AM
Quote:
The God-fearing Nephites were "pure" (the word was officially changed from "white" in 1981) and "delightsome." The idol-worshiping Lamanites received the "curse of blackness," turning their skin dark.
Is this an Old Testament story?

I never really knew the origins of white supremacy. Wow.

Although I can relate to the notion of a group of people thinking they are superior through purity of blood. In some circles of francophone Quebec, if you can trace your lineage to the original founding families (I think there are a handful) of la belle province, you are considered "pure laine" (pure wool), and therefore a "true" quebecois.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:51 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by AliEnvy
Is this an Old Testament story?

I never really knew the origins of white supremacy. Wow.
No. It's strictly from the Book of Mormon.

I wouldn't say that this is the origin of white supremacy. On the contrary, passages like this exist because of how prevalent white supremacy was back in the 19th century. All non-whites were primitive savages in need of "civilizing."

Melon
Old 02-17-2006, 08:52 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by AliEnvy
Although I can relate to the notion of a group of people thinking they are superior through purity of blood. In some circles of francophone Quebec, if you can trace your lineage to the original founding families (I think there are a handful) of la belle province, you are considered "pure laine" (pure wool), and therefore a "true" quebecois.
I'm a direct descendent of one of the Mayflower settlers. I wonder if that makes me a "true" American?

Melon
Old 02-17-2006, 09:14 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
I really don't see what's inherently hypocritical about it...yall can question the bases of his beliefs...why is he not allowed to question theirs?
Thank you. Sometimes elements of gamesmanship replace intelligent discussion. I appreciate the insight you've offered in this thread.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:34 AM   #23
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

I'm a direct descendent of one of the Mayflower settlers. I wonder if that makes me a "true" American?
I'm a direct descendent of Robert Burns, the Scottish poet. I wonder if that makes me a philandering drunkard.

We both betray our blood...cheers!

Old 02-17-2006, 09:42 AM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
It is. It's about a scripture that stakes its authenticity on a claim to a traceable human ancestral lineage. Traceable to one particular individual who migrated from one precise location to another at one precise point in time. In the "literalist" version anyhow. [/B]
In this case yes, and it is one that can be effectively falsified. I was really touching upon the

The genetics of faith would probably be the basis of belief biologically. What conditions in human neurology lead to the imperitive of faith, how are these expressed (the ability to will a sense of pleasure for instance). I think that as these questions become better understood it will raise some extremely serious issues to the faithful, far more threatening to cherished beliefs than geology or biology. Faith is a behaviour, did it evolve or was it just invented.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:46 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Melon
We share more in common
Old 02-17-2006, 09:58 AM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

[q] I really don't see what's inherently hypocritical about it...yall can question the bases of his beliefs...why is he not allowed to question theirs? If a person believes in some things which cannot be proven rationally (and who doesn't)...that's tantamount to forfeiting their right to question the purportedly rational bases of other beliefs?[/q]

[q]Thank you. Sometimes elements of gamesmanship replace intelligent discussion. I appreciate the insight you've offered in this thread.[/q]

Melon pretty much answered this -- it just seems hypocritical to question the leaps of logic by other religions when all of religion is a leap in logic.

i sensed that this thread was simply another way of trying to assert one's religion as being "more real/rational than thou" and doing that through attacking another religion.

also, and while i'm not terribly sympathetic to many of the teachings of the Mormon church, i am very sympathetic to many Mormons who are among the nicest people i know. i grew up in a town with a relatively high percentage of Mormons (for the East Coast) and it is interesting to hear how much they resent being, as i said, punching bags for other Christians. basically, those crazy Mormons are no more crazy than anyone else who bases their lives around irrational thoughts and ideas (again, not that there's anything wrong with that, as yolland pointed out, we all do it ... let's just not think that some of us are a little bit less irrational than others).

this is also why i have some sympathy for Scientologists -- not *Scientology* itself -- but for those who practice a certain belief system and are ridiculed often most viciously by those who are themselves of another strong faith. the ridiculing of one religion over another -- and this is distinct, i think, from the ridiculing of religion itself -- is a sign of doubt and weakness, not faith and strength.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:58 AM   #27
Refugee

Quote:
What conditions in human neurology lead to the imperitive of faith
It suggests the hardwired will to survive/live is stronger than acceptance of inevitable death.

Quote:
how are these expressed (the ability to will a sense of pleasure for instance).
The ability to will life after death.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:09 AM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:50 AM
No, after brain death there is nothing, a brief but enjoyable trip as the brain shuts down, no thought or conciousness, might as well say that someone in a vegetative state is in a better place. Belief in the afterlife not only accepts inevitable death, it embraces it.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:16 AM   #29
Refugee

Quote:
Belief in the afterlife not only accepts inevitable death, it embraces it.
Hmmm, I would say it explains death in a way that makes it acceptable and provides a reason to embrace it...the biological urge is still life.

Life after death suggests not only what might happen to you when you die, but the legacy you leave behind to be continued on when you're gone.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:25 AM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
No, after brain death there is nothing, a brief but enjoyable trip as the brain shuts down, no thought or conciousness, might as well say that someone in a vegetative state is in a better place. Belief in the afterlife not only accepts inevitable death, it embraces it.

you know, as much as i hate to think it, you're probably right.

all other explanations seem like little more than smoke and mirrors.

a thought i once had -- there is no afterlife, there is no reincarnation, there is simply the awareness of consciousness (and the dread of the ending of that consciousness) that all human beings possess for our brief period on earth.