F.A.G. To The Rescue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
Efforts by Hollywood actor Sean Penn to aid New Orleans victims stranded by Hurricane Katrina foundered badly overnight, when the boat he was piloting to launch a rescue attempt sprang a leak.

Penn had planned to rescue children waylaid by Katrina’s flood waters, but apparently forgot to plug a hole in the bottom of the vessel, which began taking water within seconds of its launch
The actor, known for his political activism, was seen wearing what appeared to be a white flak jacket and frantically bailing water out of the sinking vessel with a red plastic cup.

With the boat loaded with members of Penn’s entourage, including a personal photographer, one bystander taunted the actor: “How are you going to get any people in that thing?"
link

I give him points for trying.

there's a level of irony that needs to be noted.

he may not have been successful, but kudos to him for showing up and trying to help.

Sean Penn seems to be a little self serving. If he really wanted to go down and help, why was it necessary to see him plastered all over CNN this morning?I applaud his efforts but no need to see him on TV. Just a thought....

:lol:

"Hey everyone! Look at me! I'm on my BIG BOAT going to help people in Louisiana! ME! SEAN PENN! Remember me? Hey, personal photographer, come over here and get a shot of me standing at the wheel like a real, live sea capt--OH SHIT A LEAK."

You do have to give the guy some credit, though. Anyone trying to help in this situation deserves some kind of respect. :up:

Edit: Oh, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of Team America when I read this. :wink:

Last edited:
It's easy to have a chuckle at his expense (very easy actually), but truth be told, does Bono not do something very similar, just in a different situation? ie, photo ops feeding the African child, etc, etc?

Just pointing it out.

That's a good point. I suppose you could make the argument that with the work Bono's doing, the cameras need to be there, to get the word out to everyone about what's going on in Africa.

Plus, on his African visits, wasn't he accompanied by politicians? Can we blame them for the cameras? :wink:

I think in Sean Penn's case, we all already knew people are in severe need of help in that area. A camera along with him seems to say, "Look at meeeeeee!"

I think Sean Penn is great trying to rescue people with his own boat 24/7. I saw him on the news and on one full day of getting the people out, guess how many official rescue boats he met? Three. Fucking three boats in one day.

He has gone through a hard publicity school with Madge and no one can blame him if the cameras are around. As long as he´s actually helping people, he has my respect.

All those who critisize him should probably go to NO themselves and smell the stinking dead bodies. I´m sure it isn´t fun for Sean.

corianderstem said:
That's a good point. I suppose you could make the argument that with the work Bono's doing, the cameras need to be there, to get the word out to everyone about what's going on in Africa.

Plus, on his African visits, wasn't he accompanied by politicians? Can we blame them for the cameras? :wink:

I think in Sean Penn's case, we all already knew people are in severe need of help in that area. A camera along with him seems to say, "Look at meeeeeee!"

I disagree.
I think the cameras need to be there to document the atrocity of the conditions there. People need to see this.
I don't think he has a "look at me"-agenda. If it was merely that, he could have donated an insane amount of money to some charity fund and make a big show of it.
I think his actions are commendable :up:

I have to admit that Sean Penn isn't "all bad." I disagree with his politics often, but I admire his willingness to seek the truth for what it is, and for reaching out to those who are in need.

Back
Top Bottom