Exxon's Profits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Irvine511 said:
you know what?

i'm secretly excited about these high gas prices. i hope they go much higher.

if they don't, i'm going to demand a big-assed gas tax. only now do we have consumers whining enough to finally jump-start the new, greener technologies everyone says they want, but never really demand. i'm glad that our car-obsessed culture is finally waking up to the fact that, hello, things have a cost. i know it's always difficult when reality intrudes on our sacred lifestyle, but the only way people will stop using SUVs and buidling more sprawling exurbs is when they actually have to pay for their ecological destruction and energy inefficiency.

and before people get mad at me because i have a car-free lifestyle, let me remind you that i pay for this lifestyle, dearly, in what i do pay for public transportation (less than you pay for gas, i'm sure, but it's hardly free, probably $20 over 10 days) as well as the astronomical COLA in a big, east coast city.

i have to pay for my lifestyle, those living in suburban sprawl who drive tanks to work should have to pay for theirs.

couldnt have said it better myself

my energy provider secures that we get no imported nuclear energy. i like that. we have many water plants.

anyway i dont want gas prices to rise, lotsa people use gas for heating, this would hit them too

instead, heavy drivers should have to pay their ass off for what they do to my lungs and to the environment

with all the correctness Americans have established regarding smoking, they should take care of that

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

instead, heavy drivers should have to pay their ass off for what they do to my lungs and to the environment

The idea of a mileage tax has been tossed about, and possibly even tried in Oregon using GPS. I'm not sure what ever came of it.

ntalwar said:

The idea of a mileage tax has been tossed about, and possibly even tried in Oregon using GPS. I'm not sure what ever came of it.

I believe California has flirted with this as well. Another political quagmire as it hits lower income people harder when they have to drive 2+ hours a day to get to their jobs.

nbcrusader said:

I believe California has flirted with this as well. Another political quagmire as it hits lower income people harder when they have to drive 2+ hours a day to get to their jobs.

easy solution. mileage tax for everyone with a high income, finance better public transport with the cash

ntalwar said:

it is not mileage that is the problem

the problem is consumption

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
with all the correctness Americans have established regarding smoking, they should take care of that

:ohmy:

did you just say something positive about the United States of America?

:faint:

:wink:

nbcrusader said:

yes, well, Rome wasn't built in a day and Germany and Japan were farther behind in terms of building a democracy than Iraq is now and things are looking up and we just had elections and sure there's been some mistakes but freedom is on the march and all and soon cars that get 100mpg will be available when the demand is there so i'm still not terribly concerned.

:wink:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ucru/highpr...24DW7oF;_ylu=X3oDMTBhcmljNmVhBHNlYwNtcm5ld3M-

"When in doubt, ask the experts. Red Cavaney, president of the industry trade group American Petroleum Institute--not left-leaning types--puts the blame squarely on the invasion of Iraq, where unrest and violence has reduced production to less than they were under Saddam in the world's second-largest supplier. Traders of oil futures fix the price per barrel based on their expectations of political stability, especially in the world's largest oil-producing nations. And they don't like what they see in Iraq. "As soon as you can stabilize the civil situation," says Cavaney, "[Iraq will] significantly be able to ramp up production. But it would take years.

The chart of the crucial "light sweet crude oil" futures index reads like a barometer of political tension in energy-producing hotspots. Oil, hovering around $27 a barrel in 2001, spiked to $38 when the United States went to war against
Afghanistan--a potential oil pipeline route and neighbor to several large producers. It jumped from $33 to $40 in February 2003, just before the U.S. attack against Iraq. Insurgents have blown up pipelines and refineries there ever since, causing a steady climb to $76."

"Adding to the high cost of crude oil, says former Louisiana senator and oil company lobbyist Bennett Johnston, is the Bush Administration's "saber rattling" against
Iran. "We'd see gasoline prices of $5 or $6; crude oil above $100 if we bomb Iran," he predicts."

MrsSpringsteen said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ucru/highpr...24DW7oF;_ylu=X3oDMTBhcmljNmVhBHNlYwNtcm5ld3M-

"When in doubt, ask the experts. Red Cavaney, president of the industry trade group American Petroleum Institute--if we bomb Iran," he predicts."

I consider some of the points there valid, and although he might be an expert he is also the head of the industry trade association. In the past, I have found trade associations' comments to be biased towards the members they represent. For example, the RIAA overestimates the impacts of downloading music.

ntalwar said:

For example, the RIAA overestimates the impacts of downloading music.

you wanted to say: of illegal downloading/ filesharing..

most of us LOVE iTunes (even if the majors are bitter about the 99 cents pricing). its the little light at the end of the tunnel..

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A Senate Republican proposal to offer a $100 check to taxpayers to offset high gas prices is "insulting," House Majority Leader John Boehner said on Tuesday.

"The really insulting part of this whole proposal is the fact that somebody is offering $100 to every American family over this. This is not going to solve the problem," Boehner said at a press conference.

"I don't like the proposal. And over the weekend I heard back from my constituents. They thought it was stupid," said Boehner, an Ohio Republican.

Stupid :huh:

Where have we heard this before?

Back
Top Bottom