Exxon's Profits - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-28-2006, 09:00 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en
INSTEAD OF DRILLING FOR MORE OIL WHY DON'T WE UTILIZE ALTERNATIVE ENERGIES????? JESUS FUCKING CHRIST@!#@#$%
Because it is cheaper and more efficient!

We use hydrocarbons for all manner of things, but the trend of decarbonisation is continuing anabated.
__________________

__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 04-28-2006, 10:47 AM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,473
Local Time: 07:59 PM
you know what?

i'm secretly excited about these high gas prices. i hope they go much higher.

if they don't, i'm going to demand a big-assed gas tax. only now do we have consumers whining enough to finally jump-start the new, greener technologies everyone says they want, but never really demand. i'm glad that our car-obsessed culture is finally waking up to the fact that, hello, things have a cost. i know it's always difficult when reality intrudes on our sacred lifestyle, but the only way people will stop using SUVs and buidling more sprawling exurbs is when they actually have to pay for their ecological destruction and energy inefficiency.

and before people get mad at me because i have a car-free lifestyle, let me remind you that i pay for this lifestyle, dearly, in what i do pay for public transportation (less than you pay for gas, i'm sure, but it's hardly free, probably $20 over 10 days) as well as the astronomical COLA in a big, east coast city.

i have to pay for my lifestyle, those living in suburban sprawl who drive tanks to work should have to pay for theirs.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 04-28-2006, 11:33 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 12:59 AM
I do have a car, but it's a gas-efficient second-hand Ford Escort. I can't depend on public transportation because my stupid politicians won't give us a decent public transportation system. Plus, too many idiots don't want to pay their fair share of property taxes. These jokers do things like cutting back on library services and turn right around and spend fortunes on Rolls-Royces for the mayor's staff. As long as we have idiots like this in City Hall we're going to have one hell of a problem on our hands. This pisses me off big time.
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 04-28-2006, 11:44 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 04:59 PM
Profit margins for the oil industry are actually lower than other major industries. We can get all bunched up over a big number, but it really hasn't materially changed people's spending habits.

As for the idea of a gas tax, I believe New York already pays over 63 cents a gallon in taxes. California is up there as well.
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 04-28-2006, 11:52 AM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,473
Local Time: 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
As for the idea of a gas tax, I believe New York already pays over 63 cents a gallon in taxes. California is up there as well.


it should be $1.63.

__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 04-28-2006, 12:27 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,272
Local Time: 07:59 PM
In Canada we pay about $2/gallon in taxes, so the 63 cents in Texas - boohoo, cry me a river!
__________________
anitram is online now  
Old 04-28-2006, 01:14 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
ntalwar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,900
Local Time: 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Profit margins for the oil industry are actually lower than other major industries. We can get all bunched up over a big number, but it really hasn't materially changed people's spending habits.
Yes, but oil prices are manipulated and controlled by the big oil companies on the NYMEX and IPE markets. Unlike other goods and services we consume, oil prices are not determined as much by demand and supply. Oil refineries sit idle to help boost the profit margins of the companies. The oil companies have figured out the "sweet spot" of oil prices that maximize their profits, and they keep the price in that range. Right now, that range for the summer is between $70 and $75 a barrel because they know that people drive more in the summertime. Oil was $58 only a couple of months ago.
__________________
ntalwar is offline  
Old 04-28-2006, 02:20 PM   #23
Acrobat
 
Maggie1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: a place by the sea
Posts: 343
Local Time: 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en
INSTEAD OF DRILLING FOR MORE OIL WHY DON'T WE UTILIZE ALTERNATIVE ENERGIES????? JESUS FUCKING CHRIST@!#@#$%
Alternative energies and conservation are, in my opinion, the best way to get back at the oil companies and protect our environment. Drilling for more oil will only continue to fill the pockets of oil execs.
__________________
Maggie1 is offline  
Old 04-28-2006, 02:28 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
randhail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Outside Providence
Posts: 3,557
Local Time: 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Maggie1

Alternative energies and conservation are, in my opinion, the best way to get back at the oil companies and protect our environment. Drilling for more oil will only continue to fill the pockets of oil execs.
Amen to that. More drilling and refineries is like putting a band aid on a severed artery.

Alternative energies is a dagger to the bastards killing the Earth right now.
__________________
randhail is offline  
Old 04-28-2006, 02:36 PM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,473
Local Time: 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by randhail


Amen to that. More drilling and refineries is like putting a band aid on a severed artery.

Alternative energies is a dagger to the bastards killing the Earth right now.




(just wanted to continue the streak ... and i wholeheartedly agree)
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 04-28-2006, 03:42 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
In Canada we pay about $2/gallon in taxes, so the 63 cents in Texas - boohoo, cry me a river!
Has higher gas taxes resulted in higher use of altenative fuels?
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 04-28-2006, 03:45 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ntalwar
Yes, but oil prices are manipulated and controlled by the big oil companies on the NYMEX and IPE markets. Unlike other goods and services we consume, oil prices are not determined as much by demand and supply. Oil refineries sit idle to help boost the profit margins of the companies. The oil companies have figured out the "sweet spot" of oil prices that maximize their profits, and they keep the price in that range. Right now, that range for the summer is between $70 and $75 a barrel because they know that people drive more in the summertime. Oil was $58 only a couple of months ago.
Are you kidding? Have you heard of OPEC? Do you realize that, adjusted for inflation, gas prices today are actually cheaper than in the '70's? How much has China's demand for oil increase since then?

There are many reasons why refineries shut down for short periods of time. Interuption of the profit flow is not one of them.
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 04-28-2006, 04:04 PM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,473
Local Time: 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader


Has higher gas taxes resulted in higher use of altenative fuels?


i think it does result in the decreased consumption of fossil fuels -- do you think the average western European uses his car as much as the average North American? owns 2 or 3 cars? drives an SUV?

innovation in such areas, generally, starts in the US, and the low cost of fuel in this country has stunted the demand for alternative fuel innovations.

this stuff is exactly what we used to be good at -- thinking up new things, innovating, being creative.

i'd love to show the world that we haven't lost our mojo.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 04-28-2006, 04:12 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i think it does result in the decreased consumption of fossil fuels -- do you think the average western European uses his car as much as the average North American? owns 2 or 3 cars? drives an SUV?

innovation in such areas, generally, starts in the US, and the low cost of fuel in this country has stunted the demand for alternative fuel innovations.

this stuff is exactly what we used to be good at -- thinking up new things, innovating, being creative.

i'd love to show the world that we haven't lost our mojo.
While in principle I agree with you that higher gas costs (through taxes) will result in lower consumption, the politics don't work. Republicans don't want to raise taxes. Democrats, while they love to raise taxes ( ), like to raise taxes on wealthy people. A gas tax is regressive, so the poor get hit the hardest. (Which makes a $100 check more valuable to those who struggle the most).
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 04-28-2006, 04:14 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,272
Local Time: 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader


Has higher gas taxes resulted in higher use of altenative fuels?
I don't have the statistics.

However, Canadians do drive less SUVs than Americans. For example, when SUVs are produced, we are able to purchase smaller, more fuel efficient ones which are actually mass produced for European consumption (like the Nissan X-Trail). These are not available in the US, because according to Nissan, Americans "like their cars bigger and more powerful."

I do know Canada is the home of the largest cellulose ethanol producer in the world (the plant is in Ottawa), but as for how much this has affected daily consumption, I would guess at this stage, not as much as I would hope. The thing is, until recently there wasn't much incentive to move to alternate technologies since gas was relatively cheap.
__________________

__________________
anitram is online now  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com