ExxonMobil's profit in 2005 is $36 billion!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nbcrusader said:
I guess if we can portray success as "evil" it makes it easier to tax the successful because of their success.

If a business is becoming greedy, it's evil. I would like to see businesses be successful, but also take care of their employees, the consumers and the environment.

In the case of Exxonmobil, their profit being the highest in history suggests to me that they took advantage of the consumers by charging more than necessary.

nbcrusader said:
I guess if we can portray success as "evil" it makes it easier to tax the successful because of their success.

No one said success is evil. Did you read the articles I posted? Power corrupts, to destroy the environment is evil.

"ExxonMobil currently faces a lawsuit representing families and victims of torture and murder by Indonesian troops stationed at ExxonMobil’s Aceh facilities. Human rights investigators and journalists have reported that the Indonesian military has used ExxonMobil facilities to torture its victims and used company equipment to dig mass graves for burial of murder victims"

Is that a definition of success?

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

No one said success is evil. Did you read the articles I posted? Power corrupts, to destroy the environment is evil.

"ExxonMobil currently faces a lawsuit representing families and victims of torture and murder by Indonesian troops stationed at ExxonMobil’s Aceh facilities. Human rights investigators and journalists have reported that the Indonesian military has used ExxonMobil facilities to torture its victims and used company equipment to dig mass graves for burial of murder victims"

Is that a definition of success?

That is reprehensible behavior that should be punished.

The original topic sought to punish ExxonMobile because of the $36 billion in profit - with no reference to the actions taken in Indonesia.

Yes, because the petroleum, mining and chemical industries are evil in every sense of the word. They are special in their evil qualities because they not only rape and pillage the earth but they do it for profit. They *deserve* to be treated as special cases in the world and should be taxed as a function of how much enlightened people feel about them.

Please don't remind me that I am typing on a machine built with raw materials from the earth that have been treated with chemical processes.

Exon/Mobil is EVIL.

They still - 16 years later - are fighting to keep from paying the punitive damages for the spill in Prince William Sound, even though court after court has reaffirmed the damages of 5B. They have destroted those peoples way of life and it really hasn't improved much. Oil can still be found on every beach an inch down or less and no herring have returned to the sound.

I saw where they are trying to petition GW's admin to forgive that debt.

nbcrusader said:

That is reprehensible behavior that should be punished.

I agree. The problem is it will not be punished. With $ 36 bil and ties to the White House they are practically omnipotent. Ask yourself who reigns the world, who triumphes over democracy. To compare a business with that size and these practices to a dictatorship isn´t exaggerated, is it?

To ruin ecological balance by using old tankers that sink every couple of years (when everyone knows how these desasters could be avoided) can be compared with burning oil fields.

But Exxon Mobil getting punished? Ha. No way. After all, they´re in bed with Bush. I bet he doesn´t make $ 36 bil, but surely there´s enough moola around to forget who he´s serving.

I would beg to differ. Under those assumptions, there would be no Enron trial. And nothing is preventing the governments in Indonesia from taking their own action.

I believe that there is something, it is called government sanctioned murder - something that the TNI can be ruthlessly efficient at when resources or territory are at stake, be it in East Timor, West Papua or Aceh.

Back
Top Bottom