Extra Terrestrial Intelligence - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 10-03-2004, 06:05 PM   #16
love, blood, life
Local Time: 10:59 PM
How did you derive that? There are too many variables to come to such a figure, I will wait until we develop the terrestrial planet finder arrays that can detect the exact chemical composition of an extrasolar planets atmosphere before making such a claim.

As it stands we know that planets orbit other stars, but what we don't know is if the formation of terrestrial planets is common. Life as we know it would need to be on a terrestrial planet with the proper tempreture and atmosphere. And for intelligence to evolve that is probably rare, I mean 3.7 billion years of life on this planet and only one species pops up that we would consider intelligent life (I know that dolphins are there, they probably have intelligence and conciousness but there is no civilization). Best thing that we have now is the drake equation - and that is missing critical variables.

Old 10-03-2004, 06:34 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 05:59 AM
Originally posted by sharky
nb-- you're assuming we have intelligent life on this planet to compare other life forms to. I'm not so sure about that.
Actually, I would broaden my comment to refer to any form of carbon based life (essentially, life as we know it).

Old 10-03-2004, 07:10 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 12:59 PM
What we consider to technically be life is probably common throughout the universe. But Complex Life Forms are probably rare and perhaps even unique to Earth itself. If you ever get the chance, read the book "Rare Earth". Its written by an Astronomer and a Geologist. Once you read this, you'll have a new understanding of just how amazing it is that complex life on earth even exists.

It talks about of course how important the atmosphere and position of the earth to the sun is. But it also talks about other vital things such as the MOON! YEP, without the moon, and its effects on the Earth, complex life would not be possible. There would be no seasons and the axis of the earth would be tilted in such a way that one of the poles would constantly be facing the sun while the rest of the planet would be deprived or devoid of sunlight. How was Earth's Moon formed? Another planet collided with the Earth early in the history of the Solar System. How often does that happen with an Earth-Moon system that we have being the result? Another thing is that the Moon very slowly gets farther away from the earth as time passes. If the situation were reversed, the Moon would eventually collide with the earth producing a situation that would indeed wipe out complex life forms.

Jupiter and the other planets with their orbits are vital in stabilizing the Solar System and helping to attract and remove rocks and debris that could wipe out complex life on earth. The orbits of nearly all planets that have been found in other Solar Systems are eliptical instead of circular. All it takes is one planet with an eliptical orbit to create conditions that could prevent the development of complex life forms in the Solar System.

The Galaxy that the Earth is in is also ideal as well as the Sun and Earths position in that Galaxy. Were positioned far from the center where conditions tend to be chaotic, but far from the outer regions where the elements are to light to form the type of stars and planets needed for complex lifeforms.

After reading this book, I still think its possible that ET is out there, but because ET is so rare and the Universe is so vast, Humans are unlikely to ever ecounter ET.
Old 10-03-2004, 07:23 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 07:59 AM
the way i see it, it is not entirely unlikely that there are other living organisms out in space somewhere. i just think it is a waste of time to speculate on such a remote and abstract idea. we have plenty to worry about on this little green planet of our own.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:17 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
People will panic when they learn that the existence of UFO's has been kept a secret from them for at least the last 57 years.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:39 PM   #21
War Child
And, of course, one of the most intangible variables to plot in the equation is that of time. The universe being somewhere between 10 to 15 billion years old, you could've already had many organisms that developed into "higher intelligence" beings that resulted in technologically advanced civilizations, existed for millions or billions of years, and then died off (maybe with their stars). Or, there could be many organisms just starting off in some new star system that (similar to earth's) 3.7 billion years from now may result in advanced civilizations.

Still, i think probabilities are improving that there are a high number of habitable planets that could be found. I just saw a PBS show last week where they said planet hunters are looking for solar systems similar to ours...with the giant gas planets in the outer parts of the system (with circular orbits) to suck in all the space debris (comets and asteroids), so any potential habitable inner planets are protected as much as possible.

As to the kind of life? Tough one to imagine.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:00 PM   #22
The Fly
Local Time: 08:59 AM
I really have no idea if there is life out there...but what i DO know is that i HAVE seen an "unidentified flying object" before. Not sure if it was alien or whatever but i do know that i have no idea what it was
Old 10-05-2004, 12:22 PM   #23
War Child
Local Time: 07:59 AM
Well I cannot believe that all this space is only for us. Seems like a great waste of space I believe was the line from Contact. As far as if anybody not of this world has been to this world--I've never witnessed it myself but I'm not about to shrug off the sightings by alot of people who I believe cannot simply be written off as "nuts."
Old 10-05-2004, 03:33 PM   #24
Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 01:59 PM
Tell me, are you relly sure there IS intelligent life on this planet?