Executive Order

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Executive Order

FizzingWhizzbees said:
I'd say the federal government should be willing to invest enough money in this area to pay a fair wage to those involved in this work. Paying lower wages is intended to save the government money -- Bush's executive order explicitly acknowledges that the fact they are required to pay a living wage increase the cost to the government:

I think the government should prove itself willing to invest the necessary funds in the relief effort, including the necessary funds to pay workers a decent wage. If that means people don't get a tax refund this year or the wealthy don't get a tax cut then so be it -- I think helping people in the areas affected by the hurricane (and paying people a decent wage will help them rebuild their lives) should be prioritised above tax cuts or refunds.

Who said the market wages are not fair and decent? Union wages (the measuring stick) are usually well above market wages (what the rest of employee earn). Why limit the recovery levels with premium level wages?

Lally1011 said:
hey...I have a solution....

Let's get Jimmy Carter and his posse to rebuild.

:hmm:

The email I received from Habitat for Humanity:

Dear Habitat OC Volunteers and Supporters:

I am writing to let you know how your Orange County affiliate is
supporting Habitat for Humanity International's efforts to rebuild
homes lost during the recent Hurricane Katrina.

* Donations
We are accepting donations locally for Habitat's Hurricane
Katrina's rebuilding fund, to help Habitat families and other
low-income families in the affected areas recover and rebuild.
All of the donations made to the Orange County affiliate will
be sent to Habitat International to help with this emergency
appeal. To make a donation:
* Online: please visit our Web site
http://hfh.z2c.net/ad/ck/1291-31894-7441-2?m=1-8&e=526c16f95972
and click on the "make a donation" button.
* Check: please send your check to Habitat for Humanity of
Orange County, 2200 S. Ritchey Street, Santa Ana, CA 92705,
and note on your check that it is for "Hurricane Katrina
Rebuilding."
* Operation Home Delivery
We hope to involve our local OC volunteers in helping to create
the "Home in a Box" kits that are part of Habitat's "Operation
Home Delivery." These kits will be sent to the Gulf Coast to
speed up the rebuilding efforts for families in the area.
Please keep checking our Web site for more information about that.

When conditions allow, Habitat's Disaster and Emergency Services unit
will dispatch teams to check on Habitat families who lived in the
storm's destructive path and others. Team members will move quickly to
provide whatever immediate assistance they can, then begin to plan for
short- and long-term assistance for Habitat partner families, volunteers
and Habitat affiliates in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida
impacted by the storm.

Our hearts go out to all of the families who lost their homes as a result
of Hurricane Katrina. Shelters can only meet their immediate needs.
Long after the emergency assistance workers have gone home, Habitat will
be at work rebuilding lives and communities.

Thank you for your support of the Hurricane Katrina rebuilding efforts.
Thank you also for your continued support of our work right here in
Orange County as we move forward to build homes for our own OC families
in Cypress, and as we prepare to begin construction on one home for a
family in Huntington Beach.

On behalf of our 112 Habitat families, thank you for your volunteer
service, and for your continued support of Habitat for Humanity of
Orange County.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Executive Order

nbcrusader said:
Who said the market wages are not fair and decent? Union wages (the measuring stick) are usually well above market wages (what the rest of employee earn). Why limit the recovery levels with premium level wages?

Who said the act the President suspended requires the payment of "premium level wages?"

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Executive Order

MrBrau1 said:

That logic applies at my workplace.

It applies in every business.

I'm not sure what industry you work in, but it doesn't apply to any career I've had.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Executive Order

FizzingWhizzbees said:

Who said the act the President suspended requires the payment of "premium level wages?"

Look up the act and how it works. The measurement of "prevailing wages" is based on union-negotiated compensation packages. Unions negotiate a premium over market wages for their workers.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Executive Order

nbcrusader said:

Look up the act and how it works. The measurement of "prevailing wages" is based on union-negotiated compensation packages. Unions negotiate a premium over market wages for their workers.

Can I read the act online? I did try to search for it earlier, but I didn't have much time and typing "Subchapter IV of Chapter 31 of Title 40, United States Code" (which is what the White House page says the President suspended) into google didn't immediately yield the information I was looking for.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Executive Order

FizzingWhizzbees said:

Can I read the act online? I did try to search for it earlier, but I didn't have much time and typing "Subchapter IV of Chapter 31 of Title 40, United States Code" (which is what the White House page says the President suspended) into google didn't immediately yield the information I was looking for.

Here is a link to the Act.

There are also regulations that help define the act.

DAVIS-BACON Wage Determination Reference Material

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Executive Order

nbcrusader said:

The real world alternative is higher wages for fewer workers.

What do you say to those who want to work, but can't get the jobs because of the mandated compensation levels?

Hey, they can always join the army.

From the Wall Street Journal:

"Ten U.S. Army recruiters are offering volunteer help for Katrina evacuees at Houston's Astrodome. But the recruiters, struggling to keep enlistment up during Iraq war, are also available with options for the jobless. "Our intent is to approach the evacuees at the right time for them,'' says Army spokesman Douglas Smith."

Tactless...

I think an executive order should be signed that suspends Congressional wages down to the "prevailing" average wage and benefits of average Americans. You know, maybe $30K a year with large copays for crappy health insurance. No expense account. No ability to vote for your own pay raises.

It's my tax dollars.

Melon

melon said:
I think an executive order should be signed that suspends Congressional wages down to the "prevailing" average wage and benefits of average Americans. You know, maybe $30K a year with large copays for crappy health insurance. No expense account. No ability to vote for your own pay raises.

It's my tax dollars.

Melon

Hear hear!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Executive Order

MaxFisher said:

Did you read NBC's explanation on why it was suspended? Seems sound to me.
I guess you don`t work in the rebuilding buisness as simple worker.

Re: Re: Executive Order

melon said:

You know the rules:

1) The working class must "sacrifice" in times of need.
2) No-bid, overpriced contracts to large corporations like Halliburton are "patriotic."

Melon

Only in FYM are market wages considered a "sacrifice". Wouldn't it be nice if we could all get paid at a premium over market.

And for every time someone tosses Halliburton as a bad thing, have they ever identified a company that was losing work to Halliburton? There simply are not many companies that can do the work required in these rebuilding efforts.

Re: Re: Re: Executive Order

nbcrusader said:
Only in FYM are market wages considered a "sacrifice". Wouldn't it be nice if we could all get paid at a premium over market.

And for every time someone tosses Halliburton as a bad thing, have they ever identified a company that was losing work to Halliburton? There simply are not many companies that can do the work required in these rebuilding efforts.

What would Halliburton do if the U.S. refused to give any contracts to them? Are they just rolling in dough from all their private contracts? Of course, it helps when your former CEO becomes vice president, right?

I'm sure there's plenty of Middle Eastern companies that could have performed the same jobs that Halliburton is doing, so your argument appears weak.

Melon

Re: Re: Re: Re: Executive Order

melon said:
I'm sure there's plenty of Middle Eastern companies that could have performed the same jobs that Halliburton is doing, so your argument appears weak.

They've never been identified. And there are few US companies capable of the work.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Executive Order

nbcrusader said:
They've never been identified. And there are few US companies capable of the work.

But, you see, that's where "bidding" could have made this more apparent. I guess we'll never know, since they got a "no bid" contract, right?

Melon

melon said:
But, you see, that's where "bidding" could have made this more apparent. I guess we'll never know, since they got a "no bid" contract, right?

This just proves my point. Where are the corporations complaining that they didn't get a chance to bid?

There are none.

Re: Re: Executive Order

nbcrusader said:
This just proves my point. Where are the corporations complaining that they didn't get a chance to bid?

There are none.

At least "none" that have hit the national news attention.

Melon

The government isn't acting fast enough, so to speed up the process they offer no bid contracts. Now that's a bad thing because time wasn't taken to have a bidding war while nothing would be done in the meantime.

The Shaw Group also received a no-bid contract, and while their founder is a big lib contributor, you never hear anything about that.

Haliburton Haliburton Haliburton. Bush, Cheney. Texas. Oil. Blacks.

Yup all falling into place.

Re: Re: Re: Executive Order

melon said:

At least "none" that have hit the national news attention.

Melon

Given the political use of Halliburton, it would be far more potent if the Dems had companies that could not get the work in the news. I guess they are still looking for them.

Bush Reinstating Wages for Katrina Work

By DEVLIN BARRETT, Associated Press WriterWed Oct 26, 1:08 PM ET

The Bush administration will reinstate rules requiring that companies awarded federal contracts for Hurricane Katrina pay prevailing wages, usually an amount close to the pay scales in local union contracts.

Rep. Peter King (news, bio, voting record), R-N.Y., was among congressmen critical of the administration's decision to waive the requirement and who met Wednesday with White House chief of staff Andrew Card. He said Card told them the wage requirement would be reinstated Nov. 8.

"We thought it was bad policy and bad politics, and I guess they accepted our argument," King told The Associated Press. "There's no need to antagonize organized labor."

King was part of a congressional delegation headed by Reps. Frank LoBiondo, R-N.J., and Steven LaTourette, R-Ohio, that met with Card.

In the immediate aftermath of Katrina, President Bush suspended provisions of the 1931 Davis-Bacon Act, which sets wages for employees on federal contracts to ensure they are not underpaid.

The administration contended the move would reduce rebuilding costs and help open opportunities to minority-owned companies, but unions and other critics said it would result in lower pay for workers.

Back
Top Bottom