Excerpts from Romney's speech about his religion - Page 26 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2007, 03:23 AM   #376
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:23 PM
I'm probably just being obtuse and missing some really obvious connection, but I couldn't follow how the Bible passages he quotes were supposed to tie into his larger point about a candidate's personal faith being irrelevant to whether or not to support them. Unless he's taking them to mean 'If you're not being slaughtered then you're doing it wrong,' but that seems like it would raise more problems than it solves.

One of the comments at the end makes an interesting argument about the presidential, as opposed to parliamentary, nature of our system tending to lend itself to this way of thinking (i.e. insistence on a candidate who shares your religious beliefs) in that the head of government and head of state are one and the same, therefore we tend to want and expect our president to reflect the 'face of the nation' in ways a prime minister wouldn't be expected to. Obviously that theory can only go so far, since the 'evangelization' of politics Thomas refers to extends way beyond just the office of President, but still I thought it was an interesting observation.

Didn't Cal Thomas used to be a higher-up in the Moral Majority?

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 12-13-2007, 06:33 AM   #377
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
I'm probably just being obtuse and missing some really obvious connection, but I couldn't follow how the Bible passages he quotes were supposed to tie into his larger point about a candidate's personal faith being irrelevant to whether or not to support them. Unless he's taking them to mean 'If you're not being slaughtered then you're doing it wrong,' but that seems like it would raise more problems than it solves.

I think his point was that the Christian faith isn't supposed to be about making it big in the "halls of power" so to speak (in fact sometimes, though not always, you end up being at odds with "the world" as Jesus was). Thus, the faith of a person shouldn't have any bearing as to whether we should vote for them, as their faith, at least Biblically, isn't necessarily directly connected to their ascent to power.

It's not to say that a Christian can't be a politician or be powerful but Scripture doesn't consider it the birthright of Christians to be in power and there are some real spiritual hazards to gaining political power.