Excerpts from Romney's speech about his religion - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2007, 07:37 PM   #196
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Strongbow
I really don't see why so many people are upset about politicians talking about their faith.
It doesn't-talking about one's faith in and of itself is never bad. What bothers me is when they try and push their faith onto others.

Quote:
If U2's faith, often expressed in the songs you so devotedly listen to does not bother you, why would this?
Read answer above.

Quote:
Are people upset that the Edge claims a spiritual force works through them to help create their music, as he says on the Unforgettable Fire documentary?
First off, spiritual force-well, that's universal. That could mean anything.

Second, there's a bit of a difference between someone claiming they were spiritually inspired to create music that I can CHOOSE whether or not to listen to and somebody who may possibly be running this country claiming to be inspired to make laws based on what their religion says.

Quote:
The mentioning of faith and spiritual things does not necessarily mean that the individual does not respect those with different views.
You're absolutely right, it doesn't always mean that. Unfortunately, I think there's a few politicians in this election that don't seem to show much respect for those who aren't of their faith.

Angela

Old 12-08-2007, 07:43 PM   #197
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I really don't see why so many people are upset about politicians talking about their faith. If U2's faith, often expressed in the songs you so devotedly listen to does not bother you, why would this? Are people upset that the Edge claims a spiritual force works through them to help create their music, as he says on the Unforgettable Fire documentary? The mentioning of faith and spiritual things does not necessarily mean that the individual does not respect those with different views.
One I listen to and has no power over my rights, the other does. You can't be serious.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:10 PM   #198
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:10 PM
Quote:
If you are entertained by the one, it seems strange that you would be so hostile to the other. Honestly, get over it. The vast majority of politicians have mixed religion and politics in various ways since the United States became a country.
It doesn't seem strange at all, actually. You're comparing music to politics. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:11 PM   #199
Refugee

Local Time: 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

One I listen to and has no power over my rights, the other does. You can't be serious.
So I take it you would not vote for Bono to be Mayor of Dublin one day if you were a Dubliner? It seems strange to be so hostile and afraid of something that your entertained by despite the obvious distinction between music and politics. If anything, U2 are certainly believers in combining all three, music, religion, and politics.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:13 PM   #200
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

It doesn't seem strange at all, actually. You're comparing music to politics. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
And what did Adam Clayton say about comparing or combining music and politics in Rattle And Hum.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:13 PM   #201
Blue Crack Supplier

You don't seem to understand. It's not about being religious in your life. It's about religion in policy.

Bono's never attempted to alienate groups of people in his own country due to their religious views.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:14 PM   #202
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
And what did Adam Clayton say about comparing or combining music and politics in Rattle And Hum.
That it's OK to write politics into music?

Again, not even remotely relevant to the argument.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:20 PM   #203
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

It doesn't-talking about one's faith in and of itself is never bad. What bothers me is when they try and push their faith onto others.

Read answer above.

First off, spiritual force-well, that's universal. That could mean anything.

Second, there's a bit of a difference between someone claiming they were spiritually inspired to create music that I can CHOOSE whether or not to listen to and somebody who may possibly be running this country claiming to be inspired to make laws based on what their religion says.

You're absolutely right, it doesn't always mean that. Unfortunately, I think there's a few politicians in this election that don't seem to show much respect for those who aren't of their faith.

Angela
Well, how is Romney pushing his faith on anyone with this speach any more so than U2 is pushing their faith on anyone with a song?

I think its rather obvious what the Edge is speaking of on the Unforgettable Fire documentary.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:22 PM   #204
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
So I take it you would not vote for Bono to be Mayor of Dublin one day if you were a Dubliner?
Somehow I get the feeling Bono wouldn't use his faith to start wars or ban gay marriage or something along that line, so I'd trust him to run a place more than I would somebody like Romney.

We're not "hostile" or "afraid" of religion at all. Some of us here DO belong to various faiths, are religious to varying degrees. We just firmly believe in keeping one's faith out of the law-making process. It's really not that difficult to understand.

Angela
Old 12-08-2007, 08:26 PM   #205
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
You don't seem to understand. It's not about being religious in your life. It's about religion in policy.

Bono's never attempted to alienate groups of people in his own country due to their religious views.
And how do you know that Romney is attempting to alienate groups of people in his own country due to their religious views with this speech? I don't think the goal of this speech was to alienate anyone. Its rather easy to take what someone says and claim it means their intolerant of people with certain views.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:27 PM   #206
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Well, how is Romney pushing his faith on anyone with this speach any more so than U2 is pushing their faith on anyone with a song?
Well, let's see, the fact that he seems to exclude anyone who is non-religious, the fact that he seems to indicate that having faith is of some importance when it comes to dealing with issues facing this country... He can't put any of that into practice now, because he isn't president. But if he were to be, he's basically stating now that he would use religion as a means to decide the laws of this country.

Once again, I can turn off a song that is overly religious if I don't like it. I cannot do that with a president who uses religion to enforce laws. What they do will affect me. Therefore, it's a bit more important.

Besides that, U2 has more of a tendency to speak in universal terms and does not exclude anybody with their more spiritual/religious songs.

Quote:
I think its rather obvious what the Edge is speaking of on the Unforgettable Fire documentary.
I'd have to watch it again to see what all you're referring to. But once again, there is a difference between feeling inspired to create some sort of art based on spiritual feelings, art which you have a choice as to whether or not you want to look at/listen to/whatever, and running an entire country and implementing laws based on spiritual feelings, laws which will have an effect on both those who share the leader's faith and those who do not..

Angela
Old 12-08-2007, 08:33 PM   #207
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

Somehow I get the feeling Bono wouldn't use his faith to start wars or ban gay marriage or something along that line, so I'd trust him to run a place more than I would somebody like Romney.

We're not "hostile" or "afraid" of religion at all. Some of us here DO belong to various faiths, are religious to varying degrees. We just firmly believe in keeping one's faith out of the law-making process. It's really not that difficult to understand.

Angela
When did Romney use his faith as a justification to start a war or ban gay marriage?

Can you honestly say that no politician is ever impacted by their religion or where ever they get their sense of morality or other beliefs when making policy? Plus, how would you ever be able to objectively determine that independent of what the candidate actually says?

When it comes to this, is Jimmy Carter really any different from Mitt Romney or George Bush?
Old 12-08-2007, 08:43 PM   #208
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
When did Romney use his faith as a justification to start a war or ban gay marriage?
1, I was saying "someone like" Romney-somebody who has beliefs similar to his could do, and has done, things like that (Bush has certainly used his faith as a means to justify those sorts of issues, after all).

2, he hasn't started either of those things, but he sure supports them. And I feel he would likely continue to support them should he become president. The question then is whether or not he'd enact laws based on his beliefs in regards to those issues. If his speech is any indication, I'd say he would.

Quote:
Can you honestly say that no politician is ever impacted by their religion or where ever they get their sense of morality or other beliefs when making policy? Plus, how would you ever be able to objectively determine that independent of what the candidate actually says?
I know full well many politicians are impacted by their religion when making policy. What we're saying is that that needs to stop. They can use their faith to determine their own personal views, but when it comes to making laws, they have to look beyond that and realize that what they do will impact people who may very well not be of their faith, and judge whether or not what they decide to do is fair and works for the country as a whole or not.

As for how to determine it, well, I guess I'd say I'd pay attention to their actions. If I see a pattern of their religion influencing their law-making process, I'm going to determine that this is a common thing with them.

Quote:
When it comes to this, is Jimmy Carter really any different from Mitt Romney or George Bush?
I wasn't alive when Jimmy was president, so I can't comment on how much his religion influenced his policy-making. I know it was a factor, as I've heard him reference his faith in the past in the few things I've observed regarding him, but to what extent, I'm not sure.

Angela
Old 12-08-2007, 08:48 PM   #209
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

U2's not pushing their faith on anyone. It's music. You don't have to listen.

It's unbelievable to me that you don't grasp this.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:50 PM   #210
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

So I take it you would not vote for Bono to be Mayor of Dublin one day if you were a Dubliner? It seems strange to be so hostile and afraid of something that your entertained by despite the obvious distinction between music and politics. If anything, U2 are certainly believers in combining all three, music, religion, and politics.
You really seem to be missing the point.
Bono's religion wouldn't matter to me if he were running, it would be his platform. Now if part of his platform contained legislation that was purely religious and not for the best of Dublin, then hell no I wouldn't vote for him.

If his religion said mustaches are an abomination so he was going to move to ban mustaches, this is a purely religious view and has no part in politics. Just like an ammendment to ban gay marriage is a purely religious view and has no part in our politics.