Excellent piece on my governor's prospects in 2008.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This guy could get elected. He's a Southerner and a moderate who appeals to Joe Sixpack. If the Democrats want to win an election, this is the guy. We badly need a Southern moderate on the ticket. How about two of them, which is what we had with Clinton/Gore?

Last edited:
U2dem, I edited the hell out of my post and took the stuff out about being from the old school of lefty politics! :wink: I think we've got to be more flexible if we want to win, and score with values. I think the Dems can do it, but they've got to come up with someone who appeals to Joe Sixpack who's concerned with day to day things of the ordinary voter. If I voted my natural inclination I'd be a Green voter. Why am I not? Because that's going to lead me straight to a perpetual state of Quixotic frustration that I don't feel like dealing with.

Anyway Verte, I think you would be able to support Mark Warner in 2008. He's an honest guy, acknowledging and apologizing when he makes mistakes. And for a Democrat to be elected Governor in VA is quite a feat.

U2democrat said:
Anyway Verte, I think you would be able to support Mark Warner in 2008. He's an honest guy, acknowledging and apologizing when he makes mistakes. And for a Democrat to be elected Governor in VA is quite a feat.

I could definitely support this guy. I want a moderate Southern Democrat dammit! Being elected Governor of Virginia is a hell of an accomplishment for a Democrat. No telling what other states he can win votes in? If he can carry maybe four or five Southern states he can win.

Heck, the first several presidents from Virginia weren't so bad!!
George Washington
Thomas Jefferson
James Madison
James Monroe
Zachary Taylor
John Tyler
Woodrow Wilson
Technically my relative William Henry Harrison but he was president for 1 month :huh:

verte76 said:
If the Democrats want to win an election, this is the guy. We badly need a Southern moderate on the ticket.

I honestly feel really sad for all of you that this is the truth. It's sincerely pathetic in a country of 300 million that to be electable you need a southern accent.

anitram said:

I honestly feel really sad for all of you that this is the truth. It's sincerely pathetic in a country of 300 million that to be electable you need a southern accent.

Ah but I love southern accents :drool:. I have one!

But I get your point, I agree. People who vote based on geography drive me nuts. "oooooh a yankee. I can't vote for a yankee." or vice versa. Even though I'm still darn proud to be a southerner we have our problems that haven't gone away over the last 200 years.

Last edited:
U2D,

Edwards has a better chance of running an HMO, or the AMA, than becoming pres. (IMO)

the last 3 dem presidents have been from TX, GA, and AK. Your Gov prosects seem to be good. Successful Gov's tend to have the inside track

Isn't Sen. Allen from Virginia? Hmm.. How interesting would 08 race between these 2 be?
Both w/ exec. exp. , both popular...., just a thought.

a few questions
how many times has he raised taxes after promising not to? 2nd, Is it true that your state is currently running a surplus, but yet he won't give $ back to the taxpayers?

BTW another dem prospect would be Bayh of IN.

There were thoughts that Warner would run against Allen for senate in '06, but if he's planning on running for prez that won't happen.

It's interesting but the recent budget fight divided republicans against republicans. The moderates sided with the governor and the hard line conservatives were against ANY kind of raise on taxes, even if it did cause a deficit. Yes we are running a surplus, and Warner (I may be wrong so don't quote me on this) wants to put the money away for future use in the "rainy day fund." Even though the taxpayers are not getting that money now, in future fiscal crises it will come in handy.

anitram said:

I like the accents too. :wink: I think it's stupid to vote for someone because of their birthplace or place of residence or whatever. But geography always factors in in our elections. Don't ask me why, I can't tell you, it just does. Governors have more success winning presidential elections than Senators or Congressmen do. There are several reasons for this. This governor could be our man.

Last edited:
Gov. Warner is very promising indeed. If our Lt. Gov. wins the governors election next year, I'd say he has a good chance of being our nominee. If not, he could be cooked.

U2dem, pardon my ignorance but who is the Lt. Governor of Virginia? Another Democrat? I'm not up on all of my Democratic politicians. :reject:

The Lt. Governor is in fact another Democrat, Tim Kaine. He's a fascinating guy, I've never heard anyone, republican or democrat, say they don't like him. He has a good chance of winning because his opponent, the Attorney General Jerry Kilgore is a sleazeball. Republicans that I know agree with that too. It'll be a dirty race, but fun.

Good luck to your Lt. Governor in that case! Maybe Virginia can lead the country back to a Democratic Administration! That would be very cool. It's so strange, Virginia used to be the most Republican state in the South. That's clearly no longer the case.

Back
Top Bottom