Ex-smoker awarded $28 billion?!?!?!? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2002, 05:32 PM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 01:41 PM
Yes, but it's a lot easier to stop buying Kraft cheese and go for another brand than it is to stop a physical addiction.
And it's a simple step, just don't buy it.

(altho I must say, my addiction to Jell-O growing up was pretty bad )

Old 10-12-2002, 01:41 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 03:41 PM
I agree-don't buy cigarettes if you don't like them.

I never intend to smoke, therefore, I will never buy cigarettes (even though I am of legal age to do so now).

I don't feel cigarette companies are targeting young people with their cigarettes (quick rant: why do people feel certain things, like cigarettes in this case, just target young people? What, they don't think adults could be just as easily influenced?). They're making a product like anyone else, and it is your choice and your choice alone whether or not you want to buy those cigarettes. Nobody from the tobacco company holds a gun to your head and forces you to buy their product (hence why I hate those Truth ads-they blame the tobacco companies when it isn't their fault you choose to smoke and get sick as a result of your choice).

So this lady's lawsuit is just plain ludicrous. Her choice, she's paying the price now, I'm sorry she's gotten sick as a result, but she knew the risks, she chose to smoke anyway, so...

Angela

Old 10-12-2002, 01:44 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:41 PM
I say let people kill themselves with cigarettes. We needed a form of population control anyway. There is nothing putting a gun to your head saying, "Start smoking." No...you made a *choice* years ago, and you will pay the consequences with a slow, agonizing, and painful death.

Still feel like smoking?

Melon
Old 10-13-2002, 02:29 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I say let people kill themselves with cigarettes. We needed a form of population control anyway. There is nothing putting a gun to your head saying, "Start smoking." No...you made a *choice* years ago, and you will pay the consequences with a slow, agonizing, and painful death.

Still feel like smoking?

Melon
Just remember to open up your wallet and contribute money for smoker's (primary and second hand) health care. Wait, you already do through the cost of health care coverage and taxes.
Old 10-13-2002, 02:40 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Just remember to open up your wallet and contribute money for smoker's (primary and second hand) health care. Wait, you already do through the cost of health care coverage and taxes.
I was being...erm...acidic. But you're right, and that's why I think that tobacco should be outright banned just for that reason alone (you'd have to read some of my older posts to have picked up on this attitude of mine, admittedly). The fact that our health care system is being bogged down by so many illnesses stemming from a *known* harmful substance is just beyond inexcusable.

But our fucked up health care system is just another story that could probably take up another thread in itself...

Melon
Old 10-13-2002, 08:12 PM   #21
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
But you're right, and that's why I think that tobacco should be outright banned just for that reason alone (you'd have to read some of my older posts to have picked up on this attitude of mine, admittedly). The fact that our health care system is being bogged down by so many illnesses stemming from a *known* harmful substance is just beyond inexcusable.
i don't know if i agree with this or not. even if cigarettes are illegal, some people will still choose to smoke (there are people like my dad who are so hooked on it, that they would still smoke. believe me, my mom and dad have discussed those "what ifs" since the taxes on cigarettes have been raised over the past 10 or so years.) regardless of the consequences of it.

for example, think about what's currently illegal. there's plenty of people who use all sorts of illegal substances, and don't seem to care that if they were caught with said substance, they'd be fucked up for life. also, even if cigarettes were made illegal, there are still the people who would quit, but will still get cancer from the many, many years of tobacco use. and, there are those who will still smoke, as i mentioned.

if someone takes ecstasy and ends up in critical condition in a hospital, will they turn them away because what they did is illegal? i doubt it. people certainly won't get turned away from hospitals because they have smoked.

imo, i think we should just make it all legal. (not all drugs, just marijuana, really.) tax the fuck out of them, because there are people who will smoke no matter how much it costs. these people who are already hooked will smoke even if it's $10 for a pack of cigarettes or $30 for some pot, (isn't that about how much it is anyway?) to at least help our nation's economy.
Old 10-18-2002, 08:36 AM   #22
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:41 PM
NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!THIS IS NOT FAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!CANCER IS PERSON'S OWN PROBLEM-IF HE SMOKES, THEN GETS CANCER-THAT'S BECAUSE OF HIS OWN FAULT!!!AND HE SHOULDN'T BLAME OTHERS, CAUSE HE'S THE GUILTY ONE!!!!
Old 10-18-2002, 09:02 AM   #23
Jesus Online

Local Time: 08:41 AM
melon is this a genuine belief that tobacco should be banned? Why single out tobacco, or do you feel equally about all harmful substances?
Old 10-18-2002, 12:24 PM   #24
The Fly

Local Time: 09:41 PM
Alcohol should definitely be thrown on the bandwagon if you're throwing tobacco on there. The whole host of conditions that arises from life-long drinking as well as the many altercations caused by drinking far outweigh cigarette smoking.