Evils of the United States

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DebbieSG

Refugee
for the patriots in the States, post your leanings toward political parties for the upcoming presidential election, after primaries in the spring: do you think any party can do better than the republicans are now doing? what "evil" will be the *lesser* this next time?? all opinions accepted, any party is perfectly acceptable...my choice, the democrats. between Lieberman, Al Sharpton, and the other Anglo Saxons, the democrats should have a good shot at the white house...now that we've had a taste of republican virtues, like war, bad economy and messed up foreign policy...anything is better than waiting on the UN!

Flag Pole Pear said:

how about i beat you into a bloody pulp and feed you to my dogs?

i dont know who grAy davis is.

:sexywink:

He's the current governor of California. How about Sen. Kerry of Massachusetts?

Sen Kerry seems to have the best shot at the moment.

by the way, i don't think it's necessary a republican virtue to just start wars. after all, bush didn't take office and suddenly say "look! we're going to war!" let's not forget we were attacked. i would, however, say that republicans are more inclined to use military presence to solve diplomatic issues.

The Wanderer said:
gray davis may be the worst governor in the country

the problem is the democrats dont really have any dynamic leadership right now

True. There's a leadership vacuum at the moment. That could change. Politics is fickle stuff.

Do the democrats have dynamic leadership now

'04 Hopeful Dean: No Cause for War
In the first major policy speech of his campaign, the former governor is expected to reproach Bush for what he says is divisive foreign policy.
By Ronald Brownstein
Times Staff Writer

February 17, 2003

Expanding his opposition to a war against Iraq, Democratic presidential hopeful Howard Dean today is set to call for an extended process of intensified inspections as an alternative to a military invasion.

"We should continue [inspections] as long as there is progress toward disclosure and disarmament and the inspectors tell us credibly that there is promising work to be done," Dean, a former Vermont governor, says in a speech to be delivered at Drake University in Des Moines. An advance text was provided to the Los Angeles Times.

Even if inspectors find evidence of biological, chemical or nuclear weapons, Dean says, the United Nations should first give Iraq the opportunity to destroy them and then take military action solely to eliminate those weapons if Baghdad doesn't.

"Particular weapons can be destroyed without an all-out war to impose a change of regimes," he argues.

In what may preview the debate ahead, a senior advisor to a Democratic presidential contender who supports military action against Iraq immediately disparaged that proposal as "dangerously naive."

"That completely ignores the past 12 years," the advisor said, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "Dean is treating this as if there has been no record of deception, and no record of brutality.... It begs the question of how many more chances we want to give [Iraqi President] Saddam Hussein to attack us or destabilize the region."

In the speech -- the first major policy address of his campaign -- Dean joins his Democratic rivals in arguing that President Bush's approach to foreign policy is dividing the United States "from some of our longest-standing and most important allies, when what we need is to pull the world community together in common action against the imminent threat of terrorism."

Like the other Democrats, Dean calls for a large increase -- in his case a doubling -- in spending on homeland security, along with renewed efforts to reduce American dependence on oil from the Middle East.

But in its sweeping opposition to military action in Iraq, Dean's speech widens his distance not only from Bush but also from his principal rivals for the 2004 Democratic nomination.

Dean's resistance to war has helped him gain a foothold in the Democratic race -- especially in Iowa, where hostility among party activists toward Bush's course is overwhelming.

In his remarks, Dean says again that he would not have voted for last fall's congressional resolution authorizing the use of force, contending that "many" in his party who backed it "postured for position instead of standing on principle."

Of the Democrats who have taken steps toward a presidential candidacy in 2004, the four from Congress -- Sens. Joseph I. Lieberman of Connecticut, John F. Kerry of Massachusetts and John Edwards of North Carolina and Rep. Richard A. Gephardt of Missouri -- all voted for the resolution. Like Dean, civil rights activist Al Sharpton opposes war.

Dean says he shares the Bush administration's insistence that "Saddam Hussein must disarm." But he argues that launching a war to disarm him, especially without broad international support, could pose unacceptable risks.

Key among the dangers, Dean says, is perilous urban combat for American troops, high levels of Iraqi civilian casualties and the risk that the U.S. invasion "will fuel the fires of international terror" by breeding resentments that help Al Qaeda enlist recruits.

Given the resentment among Arab radicals of the U.S. military presence in Saudi Arabia, Dean says, "we need to consider what the effect will be of a U.S. invasion and occupation of Baghdad, a city that served for centuries as a capital of the Islamic world."

Dean says he would be willing to use U.S. forces unilaterally against Iraq "if it were clear the threat posed to us by Saddam Hussein was imminent, and could neither be contained nor deterred."

But he argues that the administration has not showed evidence of that level of risk and should therefore rely on enhanced inspections for the indefinite future.

Inspectors should report back on their progress to the United Nations every 30 or 60 days, he says, "so we can assess whether to continue [that] course or take tougher action."

In the address, Dean also calls on Bush to offer North Korea a new diplomatic bargain to defuse the crisis over its nuclear weapons program.

In return for North Korea restoring international monitoring of fuel rods that can be used to develop nuclear weapons and suspending tests of long-range missiles, Dean says, the U.S. should pledge "to take no military action" against North Korea and resume direct high-level talks.

"The discussions should be wide-ranging and designed to give North Korea a chance to reduce its isolation and begin moving in the direction of a normal society," Dean says.

The administration has opposed such direct talks, arguing they would reward North Korea for restarting its nuclear program.

I know this thread is a US domestic issue but there is something I would like to ask you. It?s about your political system.

Why do you have this bi-partisan regime there in US? What would be the reasons for that? Why don?t you have more parties, a more diverse system?

I?m not criticising it, I?m just curious. If someone can enlighten me, it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :wave:

Last edited:
bi-partisan systems are a good thing. that way, the extreme left or extreme right will never have all the power.

why don't we have more parties? well, that's a good question. it mainly has to do with funding. in order to run for president or national senator or representative, you have to have tons of money (or so the thought is). the republican and democratic parties have millions of dollars a piece. having third, fourth, and fifth parties would be good for options, but would take away from democratic and republican representation in the government. so a bill was passed saying that any third party (any party that isn't republican or democrat) must receive more than 5% of a popular vote in a major general election before they receive any federal money to run for office.

there are some states with more third party participation than others. minnesota has a strong independent party following, as evidenced by our last governor jesse ventura who ran as a reform party candidate and switched to being an independent.

someday we'll have more third party participation i hope.

I cant believe there is actually laws deterreing a third party. Thats crazy. How could you say that its good. I understand that a party with way left or right ideas would be limited but if a party were to be out in office they would be under the votes of its people. In Canada we have many parties but only one usually gets into Federal office, the Liberals, and no Liberals doesnt mean being Liberal.

Lilly said:
bi-partisan systems are a good thing. that way, the extreme left or extreme right will never have all the power.
Lilly, the bi-partisan system may be a good thing, but my feeling is that the two parties in power are both irrelevant to most Americans.

follower said:
Why do you have this bi-partisan regime there in US? What would be the reasons for that? Why don?t you have more parties, a more diverse system?

There is an argument that a presidential system of government is likely to always produce a two party system, whereas a parliamentary system is likely to produce a multi-party system. Then again, whether a country uses proportional representation in its elections also makes a difference.

Thank you Lilly. I was thinking more of historical reasons, maybe something you inherited from your colonizers, the british. If I?m not wrong they have had a bi-partisan system there as well. I didn?t know it was all settled by an especific law, either I knew there were States with representative participation of a third party.

You may be right about this particular arrrangement avoiding the rising of extremes. But, based on what I know now, people end up having few choices with this system, don?t you think? I mean, if they don?t agree with the ideas of democrats neither republicans what would they do? Would they have to finance a new party themselves, making it a fight between David and Golias? Wouldn?t be that the reason for the lack of interest in the elections there, with abstention and all? At least, it?s what I have read.

A Democracy is suppose to be a representative government. You can't represent a country like the U.S. with 2 parties. You can't represent a country of so many colors in Black and White. No one in Washington represents my needs right now. I think this is one of the leading factors to a low voter turn out. People are tired of voting for the "lesser of evils". As far as funding goes for campaigns, it's my opinion that this needs to change drastically. I would like to see tighter legislation so that third parties do have a chance.

bi-partisanism is good in the sense that it isn't uni-partisanism.

i completely disagree that it's bi-polar. that somehow indicates that the two parties are not almost exactly the same.

Back
Top Bottom