Everyone's talking about Obama, when McCain's allied with John Hagie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
financeguy said:

Do black criminals call white victims 'honkey' before they attack them?

Because all the available evidence shows that white people are considerably more likely to be victims of crime perpretated by blacks than vice versa.

no. to my knowledge, there isn't a universal ethnic slur used by blacks against whites. whites might be called "cracker," "honkey," or "whitey" or whatever, but there is no equivalent term -- that's loaded with 400 years of violence -- to the n-word.

Irvine511 said:
[Q]One sign of Obama's verbal virtuosity was his equating a passing comment by his grandmother -- "a typical white person," he says -- with an organized campaign of public vilification of America in general and white America in particular, by Jeremiah Wright.
[/Q]

i think this wins the "distortion of the week" prize.

most people wouldn't think that,
i understand you would.

the reason i post this is because i prefer clarity to agreement.

dbs

Irvine511 said:

no. to my knowledge, there isn't a universal ethnic slur used by blacks against whites. whites might be called "cracker," "honkey," or "whitey" or whatever, but there is no equivalent term -- that's loaded with 400 years of violence -- to the n-word.

i think there is more black on black crime than there is black on white crime-but i understand some think it is still all whitey's fault.

dbs

diamond said:

i think there is more black on black crime than there is black on white crime-but i understand some think it is still all whitey's fault.

dbs

now this might be in competition for the "distortion of the week" prize i had prematurely delivered.

yolland said:

Not in the US, in fact it's almost unheard of for a man to be called 'cunt' here. 'Bitch' is the reigning casual pejorative in US English for a woman one feels disgruntled with.

Because comparing someone to female sex organs is seen as a much lower blow than comparing them to male sex organs.

I was wondering what a cunt was.

financeguy said:

This is actually a rather illogical post, because, if anything, 'cunt' and, for that matter, 'prick' are much more likely to be used as insulting words against men rather than women.

It's interesting that the culture views 'cunt' as a much more offensive term than 'prick'.

One is a slang term for the female genital organs, while the other is a slang term for the male sexual organ.

However, 'cunt' is viewed as much more offensive - almost a taboo word - yet 'prick' is only viewed as a mild profanity.

Well like it's been pointed out, this is not true in the U.S.

Yes the word 'cunt' is slang for the female genital organs, but 'prick' is not exclusive to being slang for the male sexual organ. In fact the use of 'prick' as a pejorative towards men is arguably older than the slang use of the word for the male sexual organ.

financeguy said:
I am genuinely surprised.

Well, I guess it's another example of cultural differences.

I've never heard of a man referred to by that term in Canada either.

in my life i've been adorned and addressed with a great many perjoratives and adjectives-a few that i recognize here.

dbs

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom