ever get paranoid about your anti-bush statements? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2005, 10:08 AM   #46
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Oh, I see. So illiterate people can graduate from Harvard Business School? That's nice to know. My friend's kid is about to start 1st Grade. I'll just tell him to skip it and go straight to Harvard and get his business degree. Thanks for cluing me in to that.

erm, i don't think anyone (but you) took the statement that Bush is illiterate being that he is actually unable to read; what it did mean, through the use of hyperbole to make a greater point, is that Bush is (even by his own admission) not terribly intellectual and was never much into school. he's also been rumored to be ADHD and dyslexic (which he deserves sympathy for). and when the man says that Jesus is his favorite political philosopher ("because he changed my heart"), i don't think it's to much of a stretch to say that he probably couldn't come up with a political philosopher that he's familiar enough with to survive an interview.

trust me. i went to a private, elite eastern school. there were many children of alumni in attendence who had virtually no intellectual curiosity. it didn't mean they were illiterate, it was more that they chose not to read (which is kind of the same thing, only possibly more tragic). and some of these kids get away with absolute murder, both academically and even legally, because of who their family is.

and the holy terror individual i went to school with and that i'm thinking of was a member of a very, very prominant Democratic family. he was a terrible person, dumb and mean.

and no, it wasn't Chelsea.

(she went West Coast anyway)

Old 08-08-2005, 10:42 AM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Irvine, when people say "illterate", they either mean "can't read and write"or "dumb". Bush is neither. You do not graduate from Harvard, even the -gasp!- business school if you are dumb.

Old 08-08-2005, 11:19 AM   #48
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Irvine, when people say "illterate", they either mean "can't read and write"or "dumb". Bush is neither. You do not graduate from Harvard, even the -gasp!- business school if you are dumb.

and you have no grasp of irony, hyperbole, or humor.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:15 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

and you have no grasp of irony, hyperbole, or humor.
I do have grasp of humor. This has nothing to do with humor.

It's absolutely ridiculous to call someone who has a business degree from Harvard "illeterate", but what's even more ridiculous than that is the "stretching" explanation that you concocted to try to make it seem as peacepandemic meant anything other than that Bush is dumb or illiterate. You always do that to try to back out of your own statements, but now you're really get good; you're trying to use it to back out of other people's statements.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:52 PM   #50
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I do have grasp of humor. This has nothing to do with humor.

It's absolutely ridiculous to call someone who has a business degree from Harvard "illeterate", but what's even more ridiculous than that is the "stretching" explanation that you concocted to try to make it seem as peacepandemic meant anything other than that Bush is dumb or illiterate. You always do that to try to back out of your own statements, but now you're really get good; you're trying to use it to back out of other people's statements.

hy·per·bo·le ( P ) Pronunciation Key (h-pûrb-l)
n.

A figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect, as in "I could sleep for a year" or "This book weighs a ton."
Old 08-08-2005, 02:05 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

hy·per·bo·le ( P ) Pronunciation Key (h-pûrb-l)
n.

A figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect, as in "I could sleep for a year" or "This book weighs a ton."
I know what hyperbole means.

I didn't say that the statement about Bush being illiterate wasn't use of hyperbole. I said it wasn't humor.

However, since you brought it up, the specific hyperbole to which I am referring isn't really accurate, because Bush is very far from being illiterate. So in this case, calling him "illiterate" wouldn't be an exxaggeration about some limited literacy skills...it would be a total inaccuracy.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:38 PM   #52
Refugee

Local Time: 12:18 PM
I've heard him speak...I don't think saying he is illiterate is that much of a stretch....

Old 08-08-2005, 02:39 PM   #53
Refugee

damn...feds are on my tail again....shoo! shoo! black suits!

*runs*
Old 08-08-2005, 02:43 PM   #54
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I know what hyperbole means.

I didn't say that the statement about Bush being illiterate wasn't use of hyperbole. I said it wasn't humor.

However, since you brought it up, the specific hyperbole to which I am referring isn't really accurate, because Bush is very far from being illiterate. So in this case, calling him "illiterate" wouldn't be an exxaggeration about some limited literacy skills...it would be a total inaccuracy.

Old 08-08-2005, 02:54 PM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:18 PM
Okay, this thread has now strayed far, far away from its original topic. Please make an effort to get back to the original subject and avoid trading insults, or the thread will have to be closed.

Thanks,
*Fizz.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:55 PM   #56
Refugee

heh good call Fizz!!!