Evangelicals an dObama unite ! Bono in Orange county this week.. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2006, 12:29 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:05 PM
^ that's what I'm sayin. What's the "bigger sin" then? Using condoms, or letting people die because a of strict subjective moral code?

Old 12-02-2006, 12:33 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by redhotswami
^ that's what I'm sayin. What's the "bigger sin" then? Using condoms, or letting people die because a of strict subjective moral code?
I personally believe that sin is sin, but unfortunately the church has decided to rank them like the modern day Pharisees that Jesus called them to be Using condoms in and of itself can't be a sin, IMO. The only sin The Bible mentions in that instance is sex outside of marriage so.. That whole letting people die thing....yeah, that probably is one though.. I get way too worked up, so it's best not to get me started.

Currently Listening: "Nothing Really Matters"/Madonna

Old 12-02-2006, 12:35 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest

I personally believe that sin is sin, but unfortunately the church has decided to rank them like the modern day Pharisees that Jesus called them to be Using condoms in and of itself can't be a sin, IMO. The only sin The Bible mentions in that instance is sex outside of marriage so.. That whole letting people die thing....yeah, that probably is one though.. I get way too worked up, so it's best not to get me started.

Currently Listening: "Nothing Really Matters"/Madonna
Agreed! That's why I am appauled that people focus on the use of condoms period. Not that faith-based programs aren't valid, there are loads of schools there built by some hardworking folk, and now some people can have access to education. I think ANYTHING that can be done to help this situation MUST be done.

Haha, but you MUST get worked up, that's what FYM is all about ....of course, within good measure.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:59 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

This is my house too-yes indeed, bravo. I swear I could vote for him for President on the basis of that statement alone.

Obama at mega church: 'This is my house too'

LAKE FOREST, Calif. (AP) -- Potential presidential candidate Barack Obama stood before one of the country's largest evangelical churches Friday for a frank discussion of sexuality and spirituality that included the declaration that condoms should be made more widely available to fight AIDS

The Democratic senator's appearance at the Saddleback mega church was a source of dispute among evangelical leaders, with some of the most conservative saying that a politician who supports abortion rights should not have been allowed to speak at such a prominent church.

Obama urged unity despite political differences to fight the disease that has killed 25 million people since the first case was reported in 1981. Some 40 million currently are infected with HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.

"We are all sick because of AIDS," Obama said. "We are all challenged by this crisis."

In a show of political unity, Obama took an AIDS test with a potential White House rival on the Republican side -- Sen. Sam Brownback of Kansas. Brownback draws his support from the conservative evangelical community, but Obama has been urging liberals not to allow Republicans to claim itself the party of Christians.

After addressing Brownback as his friend and applauding his efforts on issues such as AIDS, Obama said: "There is one thing I've got to say, Sam, though: This is my house too. This is God's house. So I just want to be clear."

His entire speech is here, wow that man has such a gift

http://obama.senate.gov/speech/06120...ech/index.html