Europe's Military Contributions to Iraq and Afghanistan - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2004, 06:46 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:16 PM
Europe's Military Contributions to Iraq and Afghanistan

Countries contributing military personal to both Iraq and Afghanistan:

Norway 391
Denmark 592
Netherlands 1,124
Britain 11,354
Spain 1,418
Italy 3,481
Estonia 61
Latvia 131
Lithuania 107
Poland 2,418
Czech Rep. 109
Hungary 313
Romania 427
Bulgaria 508
Albania 92

Countries contributing military personal to Iraq only:

Slovakia 189
Ukraine 1,600

Countries contributing military personal to Afghanistan only:

Finland 42
Sweden 46
Greece 167
Turkey 151
Croatia 47
Belguim 280
France 536
Germany 1,833

Countries in Europe NOT contributing any military personal to either Iraq or Afghanistan:

Iceland
Ireland
Portugal
Luxembourg
Russia
Belarus
Moldova
Macedonia
Serbia/Montenegro
Bosnia-Herzegovina
Slovenia
Switzerland
Austria
Andorra
Liechtenstein
Malta
Monaco
San Marino

16 countries of the 26 country NATO Alliance currently have troops in Iraq. 21 countries of the 26 country NATO Alliance currently have troops in Afghanistan.

Old 04-15-2004, 07:14 PM   #2
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 05:16 PM
US soldiers from private security companies in iraq:

Approx. 20.000

Old 04-15-2004, 11:55 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:16 AM
How many people live in:

Liechtenstein
Andorra
Monaco
San Marino

and what is the size of their military?
Old 04-16-2004, 06:53 AM   #4
Jesus Online

Local Time: 03:16 AM
Even Malta, it only has about 600,000 people or something doesn't it? I should double check this probably lol. I can't imagine they would have a military which would be of any use. Our corps is only about 18,000 strong out of almost 20 million...
Old 04-16-2004, 01:18 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Where did you found that numbers ?
Old 04-16-2004, 06:44 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:16 PM
Australia's total armed forces number 51,000.

Liechtenstein: has a population of 31,000 and no military.
Andorra: has a population of 75,000 and no military.
Monaco: has a population of 33,000 and no military.
San Marino: has a population of 26,000 and no military.

Malta has a population of 400,000 and a total armed forces of 2,000.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:30 PM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

Today I read that Portugal has people in Iraq. I don't know if it's actual military, but they have about a 128 special guard helping building up the police force. There is talk, however, to send those 128 back home due to the unrest.
Old 04-17-2004, 12:57 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

The Netherlands have more than 1250 troops in Iraq alone.
Old 04-17-2004, 12:58 PM   #9
you are what you is

I like numbers and all

but the importance of this is lost on me
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 04-17-2004, 01:03 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

It is to show how the Bush administration acted with the support of the rest of the world.
Old 04-17-2004, 06:29 PM   #11
you are what you is

thing about numbers is that they only tell such a small part of the story though

when I get a new client and they start to tell me very enthousiastically how great their turnover is then I will compliment them on that and then ask them about their costs so that I know what their profit is

when I get a new client and they start to tell me very enthousiastically how great their profit is then I will compliment them on that and then ask them about the amount of money of money they spend on loans etc so that we can figure out how much money is left at the end of the period

when I get a new client and they start to tell me very enthousiastically how much money they have left at the end of every period then I will compliment them on that and then ask them what the quality of their fixed assets are so that we can determine whether it would be smarter to invest some money so that they will remain a healthy organization in the future

so basically
as much as I like numbers,
they don't really mean a lot to me
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 04-18-2004, 07:00 AM   #12
Jesus Online

Local Time: 03:16 AM
Old 04-19-2004, 07:23 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

They might want to move Spain to the Afghanistan-only list
Old 04-20-2004, 08:32 AM   #14
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
DrTeeth:
right.
So

Countries contributing military personal to Afghanistan only:
Spain: 1,418-1300=118

Honduras (ok, not european so it might be the wrong thread) announced to remove his 370 men from Iraq.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:59 PM   #15
New Yorker

I think our coalition is falling apart. That is bad news for our troops.
http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/fro...HM1SCALLY.html

Poland planning pull-out of troops from Iraq
Derek Scally, in Warsaw

Poland is planning to withdraw its troops from Iraq in the coming months, dealing another blow to the US-led coalition forces there.

The revelation yesterday by a senior government adviser that Poland's 2,500 soldiers would leave Iraq comes just a day after the new Spanish Prime Minister, Mr Jos Luis Rodrguez Zapatero, announced the pull-out of Spanish troops "as soon as possible".

President Bush reacted to the Spanish decision by accusing Mr Zapatero yesterday of giving "false comfort to terrorists \ enemies of freedom in Iraq".

The White House spokesman, Mr Scott McClellan, said that in a five-minute telephone call to Mr Zapatero, Mr Bush also urged Spain's withdrawal to "take place in a co-ordinated manner that does not put at risk other coalition forces in Iraq". Spain said last night its troops would be out within six to eight weeks.

A senior adviser to the Polish government confirmed to The Irish Times that Warsaw's decision had been influenced by the Spanish move. "Given the circumstances [in Iraq], we will probably diminish significantly the forces at the end of 2004," said Prof Tadeusz Iwinski, secretary of state for international affairs in the office of the prime minister.

Questioned further by The Irish Times, he said: "It is much easier to send troops in than to withdraw them, but we will probably do it at the end of 2004 or the start of 2005."

As well as 2,500 soldiers, Poland commands a 9,000-strong division of troops from 24 nations, including 1,300 Spanish soldiers. Poland and Spain had worked closely as both political and military allies over Iraq.

A spokesman for the Ministry of Defence in Warsaw was unable to comment. However, indicating evident confusion within the government, the Polish President, Mr Aleksander Kwasniewski, was quoted yesterday pledging to keep Polish soldiers in Iraq. He bemoaned the Spanish decision to withdraw and said he hoped that the Latin American members of the coalition would keep their troops in Iraq.

But last night there were signs that this would not happen. El Salvador, Honduras and Nicaragua provided 900 troops to the Spanish-speaking Plus Ultra Brigade which was headed by Spain. Honduras said it would definitely withdraw its 400 troops. Nicaragua has already pulled out by not replacing its 115 troops because of a lack of funds.

The US State Department spokesman, Mr Richard Boucher, insisted that El Salvador was "holding fast", as he put it.

According to the Associated Press, Albania, a predominantly Muslim country, has told the US it is prepared to send more non-combat troops to Iraq, on top of the 71-member contingent already there, in the northern city of Mosul, under US command.