EU new Roman Empire - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-22-2004, 12:09 AM   #1
Refugee
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: LA, California, USA
Posts: 1,349
Local Time: 05:25 AM
EU new Roman Empire

I get emails from the people that brought to us Left Behind. They seem to think the anti-Christ is going to arise from the EU since the EU is obviously the New Roman Empire, and that is also of course inherently evil.
I'm wondering what you all have to say about this...personally, (edit) I originally said what i thought...but i'll wait to post my views until we get discussion.
Here's the email I got...it's also a great sales pitch:

Could the EU be the new Roman Empire?

Recent developments in Europe are strikingly similar to what the Bible predicts for the End Times: the reuniting of the Roman Empire. Many bible prophecy experts believe the Antichrist will rise from this reunited empire. On Friday, October 29th, leaders of all 25 European Union (EU) nations signed a new constitution - on Capitoline Hill in Rome. This spot was once the center of religious life in the Roman Empire. The EU has been hailed by many as a revival of the Roman Empire. And this new constitution points unmistakably toward the reunion.
All that remains now...

Read more about the role that EU will pay in the End Times.

Join the Left Behind Club and get even more:

Weekly "Interpreting the Signs" newsletter.
In-depth analysis of the news in light of End Times prophecy.
Exclusive access to the Prophecy Resource Center.
Full access to the Message Boards.
Plus a FREE copy of The Truth Behind Left Behind - a $13 value
Click here to read about the EU in the End Times and get a FREE TRIAL of the Left Behind Club
__________________

__________________
blueyedpoet is offline  
Old 11-22-2004, 01:19 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 03:25 PM
These individuals were definitely left behind; the EU is a splendid beurocracy hardly an institution of imperial domination.
__________________

__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 11-22-2004, 03:08 AM   #3
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 459
Local Time: 05:25 AM
Re: EU new Roman Empire

Quote:
Originally posted by blueyedpoet
I get emails from the people that brought to us Left Behind. They seem to think the anti-Christ is going to arise from the EU since the EU is obviously the New Roman Empire, and that is also of course inherently evil.
I'm wondering what you all have to say about this...personally, (edit) I originally said what i thought...but i'll wait to post my views until we get discussion.
Here's the email I got...it's also a great sales pitch:

Could the EU be the new Roman Empire?

Recent developments in Europe are strikingly similar to what the Bible predicts for the End Times: the reuniting of the Roman Empire. Many bible prophecy experts believe the Antichrist will rise from this reunited empire. On Friday, October 29th, leaders of all 25 European Union (EU) nations signed a new constitution - on Capitoline Hill in Rome. This spot was once the center of religious life in the Roman Empire. The EU has been hailed by many as a revival of the Roman Empire. And this new constitution points unmistakably toward the reunion.
All that remains now...

Read more about the role that EU will pay in the End Times.

Join the Left Behind Club and get even more:

Weekly "Interpreting the Signs" newsletter.
In-depth analysis of the news in light of End Times prophecy.
Exclusive access to the Prophecy Resource Center.
Full access to the Message Boards.
Plus a FREE copy of The Truth Behind Left Behind - a $13 value
Click here to read about the EU in the End Times and get a FREE TRIAL of the Left Behind Club
The whole rapture thing really gets me.
I think the only reason they want it (they being the absolute nutballs who believe in this sort of thing, while their bank accounts are being quietly empted by their 'religious' leaders) is so they can stick their fingers up to all the non-believers as they're riding that cloud.

I don't want to offend any religious people, but surely the fallacy of all religion is clear. Never trust anyone who says "What God meant to say is..."
__________________
popshopper is offline  
Old 11-22-2004, 03:29 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
sulawesigirl4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,416
Local Time: 12:25 AM
I grew up in this sort of mindset....I recall being told in doomsday tones that the rapture was going to happen in 2000 or in 1992 or whatever date it was that the EU actually became a reality. Now I look back and laugh. If anything reminds me of the "end times" it is the perversion of the so-called church in its crusade for money and to dominate government.

If I recall correctly, Jesus himself said that no one knows the date or time of the second coming, so I have never understood the obsession with predicting and prophesying it. Every "anti-Christ" and "mark of the beast" (Gorbachev and UPC codes were once undoubtable candidates) always changes. Live your life in a good way and let the chips fall as they may, I say.
__________________
"I can't change the world, but I can change the world in me." - Bono

sulawesigirl4 is offline  
Old 11-22-2004, 04:34 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life
 
FizzingWhizzbees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: the choirgirl hotel
Posts: 12,614
Local Time: 05:25 AM
Frankly, that idea is too ridiculous to even merit a response. The EU as the new Roman Empire? Indicating the end of the world is near? These people should come up with a serious critique of the EU, then we'll talk.
__________________
FizzingWhizzbees is offline  
Old 11-22-2004, 04:48 AM   #6
Refugee
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: LA, California, USA
Posts: 1,349
Local Time: 05:25 AM
Ah, thank God i'm not the only one who feels this way. I think it's sad when pseudo-patriots twist the Bible (or any other religious scripture) to give the finger to all-things not American. If it's not American, then it must be evil because America is God's choosen country.
__________________
blueyedpoet is offline  
Old 11-22-2004, 04:50 AM   #7
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Zwischen Null und Zero
Posts: 2,025
Local Time: 12:25 AM
are these the same people that think Bush is the anti-christ? there was a hilarious website a while ago about it!

I agree they're in dire need of a serious critique!
__________________
bayernfc is offline  
Old 11-22-2004, 04:55 AM   #8
Refugee
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: LA, California, USA
Posts: 1,349
Local Time: 05:25 AM
NO! These people do not believe Bush is the anti-christ...they love Bush, he's practically Christ to them.

well, maybe they don't love him that much
__________________
blueyedpoet is offline  
Old 11-22-2004, 05:07 AM   #9
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 459
Local Time: 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by blueyedpoet
Ah, thank God i'm not the only one who feels this way. I think it's sad when pseudo-patriots twist the Bible (or any other religious scripture) to give the finger to all-things not American. If it's not American, then it must be evil because America is God's choosen country.
It's funny because having read the bible I don't remember America being mentioned once. And the one or two vague quotations that people always use are simply laughable.

Don't get me wrong, I do believe in God, just not in religion. God may have created everything, but man created religion...then politics...then war.
__________________
popshopper is offline  
Old 11-22-2004, 05:24 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 05:25 AM
I agree, this stuff is really silly.
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 11-22-2004, 07:13 AM   #11
Refugee
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: LA, California, USA
Posts: 1,349
Local Time: 05:25 AM
I'm glad everyone has found this "silly," "laughable," "ridiculous," etc. You all have restored my hope in humanity. Now that I am thinking about all this, back when i went to church my youth pastor did a sermon on the end times and mentioned the european union...at the time i recall i was very interested in how he knew the EU was where the anti-christ would spring up from. He actually mentioned some guy who rose to power really quick, but seeing as how I can't recall his name, I guess we all lucked out - no anti-christ. I believed my pastor, because that's what all good christians should do of course, but deep inside there was this skepticism gnawing at me. I'm so gratiful to have moved beyond the cloud of fear many American christians spread and live under. (I hope you all sense when i'm being sarcastic...I cannot think of a more terrible thing than for you to think i'm being serious when i'm being otherwise...i probably didn't need to clarify, oh well...)
__________________
blueyedpoet is offline  
Old 11-22-2004, 07:34 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Se7en's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: all around in the dark - everywhere
Posts: 3,531
Local Time: 12:25 AM
we may find all of this laughable, but i assure you that there are many people who believe this sort of stuff to be gospel truth.
__________________
Se7en is offline  
Old 11-22-2004, 08:00 AM   #13
New Yorker
 
Sherry Darling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,857
Local Time: 01:25 AM
Join the Left Behind Club and get even more:

Weekly "Interpreting the Signs" newsletter.
In-depth analysis of the news in light of End Times prophecy.
Exclusive access to the Prophecy Resource Center.
Full access to the Message Boards.
Plus a FREE copy of The Truth Behind Left Behind - a $13 value
Click here to read about the EU in the End Times and get a FREE TRIAL of the Left Behind Club


to packaging and profitting off of manufactured end-times fear. Where's the Mirrorball Man when you need him?

Has there EVER been an end times or anti-christ prediction that was accurate? Hitler? Stalin? Kofi? Billary? PLEASE! Live your life with joy. Work hard, play hard, learn all you can, love your friends and family, serve God's least ones, and let's QUIT trying to predict something which the gospel tells us not even Christ Himself knows the day or the hour of.

All that said, I would oppose the EU, the UN or a Pax Americana or any other system which became a One World Government for reasons of human freedom and prosperity. I my checks and balances and separation of powers.

SD
__________________
Sherry Darling is offline  
Old 11-22-2004, 08:16 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
If I recall correctly, Jesus himself said that no one knows the date or time of the second coming, so I have never understood the obsession with predicting and prophesying it. Every "anti-Christ" and "mark of the beast" (Gorbachev and UPC codes were once undoubtable candidates) always changes.
You are correct.

This newsletter isn't silly or laughable. It is simply Biblically incorrect. More examples of bad teaching.
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 11-22-2004, 08:52 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life
 
FizzingWhizzbees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: the choirgirl hotel
Posts: 12,614
Local Time: 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
This newsletter isn't silly or laughable. It is simply Biblically incorrect. More examples of bad teaching.
No, it really is laughable. Take it from someone who laughed at it.

(The word "laughable" starts to look strange when you've typed it too many times. Strangeness.)
__________________

__________________
FizzingWhizzbees is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com