EU Applicants Threatened

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
My goodness, all of the uproar that the US Representatives would dare change restrictions on imported water and wine. All of the uproar that we would move our soldiers out of Germany.

Well, France plays the game too!

East Europeans Reject French Criticism of their Backing US on Iraq
VOA News
18 Feb 2003, 14:59 UTC

East European leaders are hitting back at French President Jacques Chirac for his sharp criticism of their support for the U.S. stand on possible military action against Iraq.

The French leader sharply criticized the East Europeans, calling them ill-behaved in backing the U.S. determination to disarm Iraq by force if necessary.

Poland's Deputy Prime Minister Adam Rotfeld told public radio that France has the right to its opinion, while Poland can decide what is in its own good. Czech Deputy Prime Minister Alexandr Vondr called Mr. Chirac's comments an apparent effort to bully European Union candidate states.

President Chirac said it would have been better if the candidates had kept quiet. He indicated that such actions could undermine their chances of E.U. entry. The French leader made his comments at the conclusion of Monday's emergency E.U. summit in Brussels on Iraq.

Two open letters signed by E.U. candidate countries earlier this month supported the U.S. stand on Iraq.

Mr. Chirac singled out Bulgaria and Romania, saying their stand endangers their chances for E.U. entry in 2007.

But leading officials of the two countries downplayed the importance of the attack. Romanian President Ion Iliescu called the comments inappropriate. In Sofia, Bulgarian Deputy Foreign Minister Lyubomir Ivanov called the comments a sign of French nervousness ahead of a United Nations Security Council debate on the Iraq issue.

In London, British Prime Minister Tony Blair also defended the right of candidate states to express their views on Iraq. He warned that those trying to pull Europe and America apart are playing a dangerous game.

Meanwhile, representatives of the 13 candidate states, meeting in Brussels, endorsed the declaration adopted by top E.U. leaders Monday warning Iraq it has one last chance to disarm.

A statement from the European summit in Brussels did not rule out the use of force if Baghdad does not comply with U.N. orders.

The European summit said U.N. weapons inspectors in Iraq must be given all the time the Security Council thinks they need, and added that war would be a last resort if Iraq does not cooperate.

A nice quote from the Godfather of Europe:

"These countries have been not very well behaved and rather reckless of the danger of aligning themselves too rapidly with the American position," Chirac told a news conference after the emergency EU summit on the Iraq crisis.

"When you are in the family ... you have more rights than when you are asking to join and knocking on the door," he said.

Not nice.

Nice that he?s against the war, but not nice that he threatens the upcoming candidates. It won?t influence the decision policy in the EU, but its very undiplomatic. Nearly as undiplomatic as Bush (who also got 100 millions of people on the street against his policies).

This is stupid as hell. :madspit: :mad: :censored: :censored:
Why can't these guys act like adults??? They'd be doing us all a favor if they would. :censored: :censored:

Last edited:
I'm a figure skating fan. The World Championships this year will take place next month in Washington, D.C. I just hope none of these countries is stupid enough to pull their skaters out of the competition. I don't have much respect for the French or the Russian figure skating federations. Both are really corrupt. Three of the suspended judges right now are either French or Russian. No one has said anything about such a thing, but a couple of years ago there were some ugly rumors about Israel pulling their skaters out of a competition that was held in Austria. Fortunately the rumors were not true and the Israelis competed in Vienna. I just hope none of these idiots has any stupid ideas up their sleeve.

I think this is the new Imperialism.

Bush, Blair, Chirac, they all want a piece of the pie. Fools.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
Nearly as undiplomatic as Bush (who also got 100 millions of people on the street against his policies).

Yes.. France is now the one being the bully.. How things Change.

I'd also check your stats, the maximum approximations were 10 Million...

Or.. .17% of the world's population.

And the protests were against Conservative Republican power..

I refer you to the absence of protests when Clinton dropped 450 Cruise missiles on Iraq in 1998, more than were dropped in the first Gulf War.

Beefeater

Beefeater said:

I refer you to the absence of protests when Clinton dropped 450 Cruise missiles on Iraq in 1998, more than were dropped in the first Gulf War.

Beefeater

And he didn't ask UN Permission either...LOL

Back
Top Bottom