ethical funds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kobayashi

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
has anyone ever invested through ethical funds or a similar company? ethical funds is a canadian company i believe so i don't know how many people will know of them.

i am interested on how people percieved the value judgements that ethical fund managers percieve(research in alternative fuels with oil and gas companies by ethical funds is an obvious example).
where should they draw the line on, say, the issue of nuclear technology. nuclear power investment is percieved by many as being fine but nuclear weapons have a very different connototation.
on hot issues, ethical funds defines their criteria as the following:
Nuclear
Ethical Funds avoids companies involved in the following activities related to the nuclear industry:

Generation of any power from a nuclear fuel source; or
Exploration, mining, milling, refining, and/or the supplying of nuclear fuel conversion services
Companies that purchase electricity from nuclear-capable utilities remain eligible. Companies involved in the provision of engineering and/or consulting advice with regard to nuclear power facilities also remain eligible.

Tobacco

Ethical Funds employs a two-stage screening process to implement this Principle:

Ethical Funds avoids all companies that produce tobacco products, including cigarettes, cigars, chewing tobacco, and pipe tobacco

Ethical Funds maintains a tolerance for companies deriving a maximum of 10% of their revenue from tobacco related products, including filters, rolling papers, and packaging

Military Production
Ethical Funds? employs a two-stage analytical process to implement this Principle:

Ethical Funds avoids companies involved in the production of critical weapons systems. This includes manufacture of:

Air, land or sea military vehicles such as helicopters, ships, planes, tanks, rifles, missiles
Ammunition
Weapons-specific technology, such as 'smart' weapons or guidance systems

Ethical Funds has a 5% revenue tolerance threshold for companies involved in the manufacture of weapons components and/or repair and maintenance of weapons systems as defined by the above. Companies become ineligible for investment by Ethical Funds if revenues exceed this threshold. These criteria are currently under review.

[This message has been edited by kobayashi (edited 04-24-2002).]

Originally posted by kobayashi:
no one else wants to invest ethically...maybe.

Ehm, i do not have the money to invest big time but i do my banking ( Pay my bills and save some money ) with a ethical bank.

I like the idea that my bank is not investing in child labour, genetic engenering and other projects that are bad for nature. ( and the intrest is the same than at other banks )

Read you, Rono.

Back
Top Bottom