Essence of Truthiness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
It has been attacked many times in its short life, most notably by a former aide to Robert F Kennedy and the editor of Encyclopaedia Britannica. But now the online reference site Wikipedia has a new foe: evangelical Christians.

A website founded by US religious activists aims to counter what they claim is "liberal bias" on Wikipedia, the open encyclopedia which has become one of the most popular sites on the web. The founders of Conservapedia.com say their site offers a "much-needed alternative" to Wikipedia, which they say is "increasingly anti-Christian and anti-American".
And it has some great little bits such as

Dinosaurs
Wikipedia

"Vertebrate animals that dominated terrestrial ecosystems for over 160m years, first appearing approximately 230m years ago."

Conservapedia

"They are mentioned in numerous places throughout the Good Book. For example, the behemoth in Job and the leviathan in Isaiah are almost certainly references to dinosaurs."
Democrats
Wikipedia
The party advocates civil liberties, social freedoms, equal rights, equal opportunity, fiscal responsibility, and a free enterprise system tempered by government intervention."

Conservapedia
"The Democrat voting record reveals a true agenda of cowering to terrorism, treasonous anti-Americanism, and contempt for America's founding principles."
link

The internet has ushered in a world where people lack the capacity to discriminate information and will just choose what reinforces their biases; objectivity is not neutrality it is being able to use multiple working hypothesis and accept or reject elements of arguments on the basis of evidence - projects like this really help kill of that critical thinking that partisans hate.

Wow...............I don't know whether to laugh or cry at how sad this is.

Last edited:
Goodie. They have open editorial policies as well.

You mean, theoretically, mischievous individuals may be out there in cyberland editing the content of the site with the sole intention of making Conservapedia appear silly or uninformed.

Why, I find that hard to believe.

^ It isn't intentionally a joke, no, but the trajectory of this story so far does remind me a bit of the "Pastor Donnie Davies" hoax back in January. In both cases, an absurd overreaction in the blogosphere led to something not seriously expected or intended to be a Big Thing becoming precisely that.

Conservapedia was created in November 2006 by Andrew Schlafly as a "history project" for 58 high-school age homeschoolers in New Jersey affiliated with the ultraconservative Eagle Forum founded by his mother, Phyllis Schlafly. On February 20, it was picked up by a blogger on the network ScienceBlogs, spread rapidly through that network, was picked up by Wonkette February 22, and from there proceeded to spread through both the science and political blogospheres. If you look at Conservapedia's banned IPs log page, you can easily enough see the result: they went from 2 bannings in their first 4 months to 60 in the next 11 days once the blogosphere picked the story up. Ironically, as a result of all the subsequent international media attention, they're now in a much better position to present themselves as a potential "conservative answer to Wikipedia".

I doubt that will ever happen though, because now that they've been "outed", and given their "open editorial" policy, it's likely only a question of time before the extent of the vandalism outpaces their admin capacity. And if they limit who can edit, they'll never get much beyond what they have right now, which is a rather puny collection of mostly 1-5 sentence entries.

I do find many of the entries, vandalized or not, pretty silly, but I also find the overreaction to it pretty lame.

Last edited:
yolland said:
^ It isn't intentionally a joke, no, but the trajectory of this story so far does remind me a bit of the "Pastor Donnie Davies" hoax back in January. In both cases, an absurd overreaction in the blogosphere led to something not seriously expected or intended to be a Big Thing becoming precisely that.

Conservapedia was created in November 2006 by Andrew Schlafly as a "history project" for 58 high-school age homeschoolers in New Jersey affiliated with the ultraconservative Eagle Forum founded by his mother, Phyllis Schlafly. On February 20, it was picked up by a blogger on the network ScienceBlogs, spread rapidly through that network, was picked up by Wonkette February 22, and from there proceeded to spread through both the science and political blogospheres. If you look at Conservapedia's banned IPs log page, you can easily enough see the result: they went from 2 bannings in their first 4 months to 60 in the next 11 days once the blogosphere picked the story up. Ironically, as a result of all the subsequent international media attention, they're now in a much better position to present themselves as a potential "conservative answer to Wikipedia".

I doubt that will ever happen though, because now that they've been "outed", and given their "open editorial" policy, it's likely only a question of time before the extent of the vandalism outpaces their admin capacity. And if they limit who can edit, they'll never get much beyond what they have right now, which is a rather puny collection of mostly 1-5 sentence entries.

I do find many of the entries, vandalized or not, pretty silly, but I also find the overreaction to it pretty lame.

As usual, Yolland hits the nail on the head.

I guess that's the end of that.

Back
Top Bottom