ER. Televison can be good..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sue4u2

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I don't know if anyone else saw this tonight, but ER was almost completely devoted to AIDS in Africa. It was a very moving episode that spoke to the issues of anti-retroviral drugs, it followed a woman and her family/husband, childeren dying of AIDS. She was pregnant and it talked about her getting the drugs to keep her upborn child from developing the disease. Noah Wiley, who plays John Carter on the show, had someone in the states write a prescription and send the drugs over to him for her. This episode covered everything Bono has been lobbying for in Washington, Canada and around the world. At least it's making it to primetime on one show. Anyway I thought it was great. If you have a chance to catch it in re runs, it's worth it.
NBC network deserves credit for this one..:up:

It was and unbelievable episode. It left my wife and I both in tears.

It was a good episode, and Thandie Newton is a wonderful actress, eons better than Wyle in every scene.

The scene where she tells him to go home and yell at his government was very powerful.

As I said, not providing the promised funding is immoral. This episode is a great example of why that is true.

I saw it! Great episode! I hope Bono was watching. :)

In my opinion, they should have put some kind of notice at the end telling people where they could go for more information or to help. It was a very political episode anyway, so why not?

It was a great episode and i emailed NBC and commended them on showing something that will do something to further the knowledge of the viewing public, rather then nonsense like reality TV.

It just shows us that TV can be informative and captavating at the same time!

We looked at each other on the couch and wondered if Bono were going to suddenly appear....as Santa's elf....would not have fit I know....but....

My sister called me to tell me about this, but I was too tired to stay up (and ER is too violent for me so I was wary :uhoh: ) but I'm glad to hear it was a successful episode.. :up:

I just have to add that, imagine if a larger number of TV shows used their popularity to promote these humanitarian issues? I'm not talking promote a politician.. but larger issues like AIDS in Africa, the environment, etc. It would be revolutionary. I've been thinking about this a lot actually, for instance how MTV, despite the oddball "informational" show, airs all sorts of shows that tolerates inequality and racism.

Last edited:
West Wing did something similar while back, too. I was pleased. Toby (??) and Josh were helping an African president bargain with drug companies for cheaper AIDS drugs. I remember Toby saying he wanted to send him back with something because "He didn't send a delegation...I don't even think he has one." I was impressed! :up:

SD

oliveu2cm said:
I just have to add that, imagine if a larger number of TV shows used their popularity to promote these humanitarian issues? I'm not talking promote a politician.. but larger issues like AIDS in Africa, the environment, etc. It would be revolutionary.

That would be amazing if that happened. It'd be the best way to get people's attention, that's for sure.

Originally posted by oliveu2cm
I've been thinking about this a lot actually, for instance how MTV, despite the oddball "informational" show, airs all sorts of shows that tolerates inequality and racism.

Yeah, that's one thing I will give MTV major credit for. I've seen some of those "Fight For Your Rights" shows (particularly remember the Matthew Shepard one...that was interesting).

Also, I woke up around a little after 5 this morning, and my mom had left the Nickelodeon channel on, and when I woke up, I caught some of a Nick News special on AIDS in Africa. Linda Ellerbee had traveled down there and met some of the kids there who had AIDS or knew people with AIDS and whatnot. That was pretty neat, too.

Angela

Sounds great-I taped it, I hope I didn't mess up my programming :reject:

It sure would be good if more TV shows would use their power for something like that. Now THAT'S a reality show

AvsGirl41 said:

In my opinion, they should have put some kind of notice at the end telling people where they could go for more information or to help. It was a very political episode anyway, so why not?

True

I didn't see this but bravo to NBC for putting this on their show. This is really cool. It's possible to publicize worthwhile causes, like the AIDS crisis, without resorting to political slogans and creeds.

Last edited:
Everyone please, if you can catch this in a re-run you MUST see it

The scene w/ the toy truck made me weep. Just watching a TV show about it is tough enough, I cannot imagine seeing it in person.

I hope ER makes this a running storyline, and if I can find a way to e-mail NBC about it I definitely will.

Bravo to ER!

Yes indeed a great show , word is they will follow it up as they have been getting so much feedback from viewers.. I sometimes have to remember to keep my emotions in check when working on this emergency with different folks .. but this episode gave me an outlet.. not a dry eye in the house wow!!!So nice to see it highlighted on TV,It's great news
for those who wanted to e-mail .. you can send it just to the general ER address at ER@nbc.com <ER@nbc.com>

The only thing that bothered me was her comments to the effect that this one family wasn't worth what he (Wyle) was doing to try to help them. I think her solution to use his money more efficiently was a great idea, but I think even one little boy or baby or mother is worth helping.....

Katey, where have you heard there will be a follow up episode?

I have access to ER scripts 5-6 episodes in advance and without spoiling things, I see no follow up yet, nor have I heard about it anywhere in ER online fandom (and they're very up to date).

I'd personally love another follow up with Thandie Newton's character, but I question whether NBC will do it, considering they have already filmed 3 such episodes outside the studio, the costs being high and a chunk of the audience preferring standard medical drama with an ensemble cast.

I hope you're on to something, though!

There is no script for it yet.. that I know of .. it is in the planning stages fromy my source which are pretty reliable.. I can't say what an approximate air date may be.. there has been tremendous fan support which has pompted this. What the storyline will be or who will be in it I won't say or can't say.. It will be while that I am sure

Last edited:
I'm not really up on the ER Fandom .. more of a West Wing girl myself so I am yet to hear any rumours from that end.. this is all industry stuff i have heard ramblings of

Just thought I'd add another reply to this thread. We got the first two episodes of season 10 ER this week and now I absolutely can't wait to see the episode you're all talking about in this thread. I thought the final episode of the last season was really moving also (great, that sounds like I just noticed what's going on in the world 'cause it was on tv. :rolleyes: ) so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more episodes on the same storyline.

And anitram, you don't love the West Wing anymore? :( :wink:

i dont watch tv at all but this will be worth seeing if i ever hear about it coming back for a rerun.

FizzingWhizzbees said:
And anitram, you don't love the West Wing anymore? :( :wink:

I think it's been very mediocre for the last two years. It's not the show it used to be. Especially now. I don't like John Wells, I don't like what he did on ER and I don't like what he's doing on WW this season. :|

Yeah it's (WW) not the same since the creator of the show left last season to pursue, whatever. (can't bring to mind his name, but I can see his face) I've always been a devoted fan - untill this season that is.. Just isn't the same as it was. Oh well, it was good while it lasted. With that said, I'm not giving up on it yet.

West Wing.. Still a big fan it might not be as good as it's first season ,but it still kicks butt to anything else out there .. Plus the actors,actresses make the show...they are agreat bunch.. John Spencer.. he is great in it.. no on elese would do Leo justice..

Love Leo, Josh and Toby. Especially Stockard Channing/Abby. I just know I used to plan not too do anything on Wed. nights 8 to 9 so I could watch West Wing. Even though I am still a devoted fan, I don't have the same "i'm taking the phone off the hook" attitude I use to. There's not even a handfull of TV programs I could say this about, but WW was one of them, with ER & 24. Otherwise I'm online or reading or out trying to have a life when there something worth going out for.

Back
Top Bottom