ER. Televison can be good.. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2003, 11:16 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:46 PM
ER. Televison can be good..

I don't know if anyone else saw this tonight, but ER was almost completely devoted to AIDS in Africa. It was a very moving episode that spoke to the issues of anti-retroviral drugs, it followed a woman and her family/husband, childeren dying of AIDS. She was pregnant and it talked about her getting the drugs to keep her upborn child from developing the disease. Noah Wiley, who plays John Carter on the show, had someone in the states write a prescription and send the drugs over to him for her. This episode covered everything Bono has been lobbying for in Washington, Canada and around the world. At least it's making it to primetime on one show. Anyway I thought it was great. If you have a chance to catch it in re runs, it's worth it.
NBC network deserves credit for this one..

Old 12-11-2003, 11:25 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

It was and unbelievable episode. It left my wife and I both in tears.

Old 12-11-2003, 11:45 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

It was a good episode, and Thandie Newton is a wonderful actress, eons better than Wyle in every scene.

The scene where she tells him to go home and yell at his government was very powerful.

As I said, not providing the promised funding is immoral. This episode is a great example of why that is true.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:22 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 12:46 PM
Wow, really? Interesting.

Yay for "ER" devoting an episode to this! . Considering how many people watch that show...here's hoping they were all inspired.

Angela
Old 12-12-2003, 12:36 AM   #5
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:46 AM
I saw it! Great episode! I hope Bono was watching.

In my opinion, they should have put some kind of notice at the end telling people where they could go for more information or to help. It was a very political episode anyway, so why not?
Old 12-12-2003, 03:13 AM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 11:46 AM
It was a great episode and i emailed NBC and commended them on showing something that will do something to further the knowledge of the viewing public, rather then nonsense like reality TV.

It just shows us that TV can be informative and captavating at the same time!
Old 12-12-2003, 06:58 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

We looked at each other on the couch and wondered if Bono were going to suddenly appear....as Santa's elf....would not have fit I know....but....
Old 12-12-2003, 08:13 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:46 PM
My sister called me to tell me about this, but I was too tired to stay up (and ER is too violent for me so I was wary ) but I'm glad to hear it was a successful episode..

I just have to add that, imagine if a larger number of TV shows used their popularity to promote these humanitarian issues? I'm not talking promote a politician.. but larger issues like AIDS in Africa, the environment, etc. It would be revolutionary. I've been thinking about this a lot actually, for instance how MTV, despite the oddball "informational" show, airs all sorts of shows that tolerates inequality and racism.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:44 AM   #9
New Yorker

West Wing did something similar while back, too. I was pleased. Toby (??) and Josh were helping an African president bargain with drug companies for cheaper AIDS drugs. I remember Toby saying he wanted to send him back with something because "He didn't send a delegation...I don't even think he has one." I was impressed!

SD
Old 12-12-2003, 09:21 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by oliveu2cm
I just have to add that, imagine if a larger number of TV shows used their popularity to promote these humanitarian issues? I'm not talking promote a politician.. but larger issues like AIDS in Africa, the environment, etc. It would be revolutionary.
That would be amazing if that happened. It'd be the best way to get people's attention, that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally posted by oliveu2cm
I've been thinking about this a lot actually, for instance how MTV, despite the oddball "informational" show, airs all sorts of shows that tolerates inequality and racism.
Yeah, that's one thing I will give MTV major credit for. I've seen some of those "Fight For Your Rights" shows (particularly remember the Matthew Shepard one...that was interesting).

Also, I woke up around a little after 5 this morning, and my mom had left the Nickelodeon channel on, and when I woke up, I caught some of a Nick News special on AIDS in Africa. Linda Ellerbee had traveled down there and met some of the kids there who had AIDS or knew people with AIDS and whatnot. That was pretty neat, too.

Angela
Old 12-12-2003, 09:27 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Sounds great-I taped it, I hope I didn't mess up my programming

It sure would be good if more TV shows would use their power for something like that. Now THAT'S a reality show
Old 12-12-2003, 05:47 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by AvsGirl41

In my opinion, they should have put some kind of notice at the end telling people where they could go for more information or to help. It was a very political episode anyway, so why not?
True
Old 12-12-2003, 08:29 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:46 PM
I didn't see this but bravo to NBC for putting this on their show. This is really cool. It's possible to publicize worthwhile causes, like the AIDS crisis, without resorting to political slogans and creeds.
Old 12-13-2003, 09:12 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Everyone please, if you can catch this in a re-run you MUST see it

The scene w/ the toy truck made me weep. Just watching a TV show about it is tough enough, I cannot imagine seeing it in person.

I hope ER makes this a running storyline, and if I can find a way to e-mail NBC about it I definitely will.

Bravo to ER!
Old 12-17-2003, 05:45 PM   #15
War Child

Yes indeed a great show , word is they will follow it up as they have been getting so much feedback from viewers.. I sometimes have to remember to keep my emotions in check when working on this emergency with different folks .. but this episode gave me an outlet.. not a dry eye in the house wow!!!So nice to see it highlighted on TV,It's great news
for those who wanted to e-mail .. you can send it just to the general ER address at ER@nbc.com <ER@nbc.com>