equality blooms with spring, pt. II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess anything goes in Mexico
Lawmakers in Mexico City have become the first in Latin America to legalise gay marriage.

City legislators passed the bill 39-20, with five abstentions. The city's mayor is now widely expected to sign the bill into law.

Gay marriage is only allowed in seven countries and some parts of the US. Certain parts of Latin America allow civil unions for same-sex couples.

The Catholic Church and conservative groups had opposed Mexico City's move.
The bill calls for a change in the definition of marriage in the city's civic code - from the union of a man and a woman to "the free uniting of two people".
Regional differences

Lawmaker David Razu had proposed the change to give same-sex couples the same rights as heterosexual couples regarding social security and other benefits.
Mexico City's legislature is dominated by the leftist Democratic Revolutionary Party, which has already legalised abortion and civil unions for same-sex couples.

Spokesman Oscar Oliver told AFP news agency that city legislators were now taking up a measure in the bill that would allow married same-sex couples to adopt children.
A handful of cities in Argentina, Ecuador and Colombia permit gay unions.

Uruguay alone has legalised civil unions nationwide and allowed same-sex couples to adopt children.

Last month, an Argentinean court narrowly blocked what would been the continent's first gay marriage.

In a last-minute challenge, a court referred the case to the country's Supreme Court, which is due to rule on the issue
BBC News - Mexico City backs gay marriage in Latin American first

One of the largest cities on earth is doomed. And you thought climate change were a threat.

in light of both Mexico City and Washington DC, i fear for the children of heterosexual fathers who will surely leave them and their mothers because of this.

New Jersey Senate Defeats Gay Marriage Bill

TRENTON — The State Senate on Thursday rejected a proposal that would have made New Jersey the sixth state in the nation to allow marriages involving same-sex couples. The vote was the latest in a succession of setbacks for advocates of gay marriage across the country.
After months of intense lobbying and hours of emotional debate, lawmakers voted 20 to 14 against the bill, bringing tears from some advocates who packed the Senate chambers and rousing applause from opponents of the measure, who also came out :eek: in force. The vote ends the effort to win legislative approval of the measure, and sets the stage for a new battle before the New Jersey Supreme Court.

i wonder how many men supported the right of women to vote when it was brought up at the Seneca Falls conference in 1848?

it only took them until 1920 to get that right.

anyway, it's sad that "defending marriage" has given bigots a socially acceptable way to gay bash.

i wonder how many men supported the right of women to vote when it was brought up at the Seneca Falls conference in 1848?

I wonder how many women supported the right of women to vote in 1848? They largely ignored it for decades. As late as 1890 there was an anti-suffrage group in New York with 20,000 women members.

it only took them until 1920 to get that right.
Suffrage can now be seen as an important evolution of human rights. But why don't you tell us how the feminism pursuing liberty and equality while embracing the unique roles women have in motherhood, marriage and caregiving became the modern feminism that rejects and vilifies those roles.

How feminism went from seeking the freedom to be women in society to the freedom to cease being women.
anyway, it's sad that "defending marriage" has given bigots a socially acceptable way to gay bash.

And who do we "bash" when we defend traditional marriage against attacks of patriarchalism by modern feminists, skyrocketing out-of-marriage birthrates, no-fault divorce laws and polygamy?

And who do we "bash" when we defend traditional marriage against attacks of patriarchalism by modern feminists, skyrocketing out-of-marriage birthrates, no-fault divorce laws and polygamy?

It's the bitches' fault! It always is. First, we try to raise our kids by ourselves after the men take off, and now we have the audacity to demand equal rights and protections under the law. Fucking bitches.

Life was soooooooo much better when boys were in charge. :sad:

Suffrage can now be seen as an important evolution of human rights. But why don't you tell us how the feminism pursuing liberty and equality while embracing the unique roles women have in motherhood, marriage and caregiving became the modern feminism that rejects and vilifies those roles.

How feminism went from seeking the freedom to be women in society to the freedom to cease being women.

Largely agree, but I would probably argue feminists have been exploited by the neo-liberal corporatist globalist agenda for the latter's ends. So, underlying these trends that you've outlined is the neo-liberal agenda which is largely pushed by men.

It's the bitches' fault! It always is. First, we try to raise our kids by ourselves after the men take off, and now we have the audacity to demand equal rights and protections under the law. Fucking bitches.

Life was soooooooo much better when boys were in charge. :sad:

Don't project all your rage and hate onto me and put words in my mouth. I said no such thing and you know it.

I reject the branch of Feminism that attempts to re-educate women to act and think contrary to their natures. It exists and you know it and it's why 70% of American women today reject the label "feminist."

And I reject the Murphy Brown argument that single motherhood is but a praiseworthy alternative to marriage.

Largely agree,

Why do hate women, sorry, fucking bitches, finance guy?

but I would probably argue feminists have been exploited by the neo-liberal corporatist globalist agenda for the latter's ends. So, underlying these trends that you've outlined is the neo-liberal agenda which is largely pushed by men.

Both of which, liberalism and feminism, have infiltrated higher academia to the point of turning those institutions of higher learning into monolithic institutions of indoctrination.

I reject the branch of Feminism that attempts to re-educate women to act and think contrary to their natures.

dude. seriously. are you about to tell women what is and isn't in their "nature"?

anyway, as ever, none of this has anything to do with the gay bashing that passes for discourse amongst the thugs on the right. anything less than total equality for gay people is gay bashing, hands down.

dude. seriously. are you about to tell women what is and isn't in their "nature"?

anyway, as ever, none of this has anything to do with the gay bashing that passes for discourse amongst the thugs on the right. anything less than total equality for gay people is gay bashing, hands down.

And then it becomes a discussion about what's equality and what isn't, and then you once again compare it to other oppressed people of the past and they say it isn't the same, and it continues in a circle, and at the end of the day everyone against gay marriage is still a bigot who will quote this post and get pissed off that I called a spade a spade.

I'm about to retire from FYM. Seriously. The fucking conservatives, man. I can't take it anymore.

You're asking the wrong person. Ask the radical feminists, the ones whom most women disagree with, who THEY are to tell women what is and isn't in their "nature" and best interests. Have you ever heard of Betty Friedan? Ever read 'Right-Wing Women: The Politics of Domesticated Females' by Andrea Dworkin. Do you believe all heterosexual sex is rape and marriage is slavery?

Thugs on the Right. :rolleyes: Who engaged in thuggery against citizens only exercising their democratic right to speak at the ballot box and with their wallets in the wake of the Prop 8 vote in Calf?

And I'm guessing you and only you get to define the terms of "equality."

You're asking the wrong person. Ask the radical feminists, the ones whom most women disagree with, who THEY are to tell women what is and isn't in their "nature" and best interests. Have you ever heard of Betty Friedan? Ever read 'Right-Wing Women: The Politics of Domesticated Females' by Andrea Dworkin. Do you believe all heterosexual sex is rape and marriage is slavery?

The extremists in a movement represent the entire movement?

Thugs on the Right. :rolleyes: Who engaged in thuggery against citizens only exercising their democratic right to speak at the ballot box and with their wallets in the wake of the Prop 8 vote in Calf?

Yeah! Those thugs! What with their not wanting to give money to businesses who consider them inferior and undeserving of equal rights under the law. The nerve!

I reject the branch of Feminism that attempts to re-educate women

Re-educate us into believing what? That we should have the choice to live our lives as you do? That those of us who want to have babies and find husbands should be free to do so, and that those who want to infiltrate male-dominated fields should be free to do so and that those who think they can do both should at the very least be free to try? Or is that all against our nature and it's best that we be more "womanly", get back into our houses and cook dinner and save this world from the crumbling morality which all happened once women decided that maybe it might be a good idea to get to vote, or to get to have divorce laws that don't keep us enslaved in abusive relationships and that give us an equal share of property on dissolution?

As for your question of why some women didn't want to vote...well when you're indoctrinated your entire life to believe one thing, it's hard to take those shackles off. Do you sit there and wonder if the women in Afghanistan who voluntarily wear the burqa hate women or could it be that maybe they don't know there is another way and they are afraid to death of a world they have never been part of? Maybe you really are that dense, but I believe otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom