equality blooms with spring, pt. II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Learn to throw a baseball from a heterosexual male or you'll end up throwing it like our president.

You could tell Obama was a basketball player with that toss. It was somewhere between a pitch and a jump shot.

Didn't ask for any examples of women who can't have babies. Give me five examples of men who can.

so we're boiling marriage down to who can shit out kids or not?

we could dance around all afternoon with notions of gender essentialism, but you're pretty much making gender contingent upon fertility, and i don't think that's something you want to do. unless it is. :shrug:

and that all has nothing -- nothing -- to do with marriage equality, since fertility is certainly not required for marriage.

the fact of the matter is i have two very good married gay friends who are going to get pregnant using donor sperm and they are going to have a baby. how is this any different than any other non-traditional means of reproduction -- adoption, IVF, straights sometimes use sperm or egg donors -- and what does this have to do with their legal rights to marry each other?

we could dance around all afternoon with notions of gender essentialism, but you're pretty much making gender contingent upon fertility, and i don't think that's something you want to do. unless it is. :shrug:

So have we hit "Bingo" yet?

so we're boiling marriage down to who can shit out kids or not?

Charmingly put.

You posed a simple question -- to whit: "can you name me certain essential parenting techniques that a woman could never, ever provide on the basis of her gender and thus must rely upon her husband to perform because he is a male, and vice versa?" I gave you two answers, both related to parenting (which you asked for), which is part of the equation for most people who get married.

If you don't like the answer, ask a different question, but don't automatically assume your questions are rhetorical.

Charmingly put.

You posed a simple question -- to whit: "can you name me certain essential parenting techniques that a woman could never, ever provide on the basis of her gender and thus must rely upon her husband to perform because he is a male, and vice versa?" I gave you two answers, both related to parenting (which you asked for), which is part of the equation for most people who get married.

If you don't like the answer, ask a different question, but don't automatically assume your questions are rhetorical.

no, nathan, not related to "parenting." related to birthing, maybe, and then not always and not essentially. you most assuredly did not answer the question at all.

now, name me the parental technique that only fathers have that two mothers never could.

so rhetorical or not, you didn't answer the question, you redirected it to more comfortable waters for yourself.

no, nathan, not related to "parenting." related to birthing, maybe, and then not always and not essentially. you most assuredly did not answer the question at all.

Actually, I did. I mentioned childbirth -- which men still cannot perform (cursed biology), and which is a crucial ten month time for women preparing to be mothers.

Additionally, the period of adolescence when a child begins to develop sexually is a time when the vast majority of girls want and need a mother, and the vast majority of boys want and need a father.

So I did answer your question. You just don't like the answer. Sorry.

Basic is "two consenting adults = marriage", yet I've seen you and others walk a hundred miles in circles in order to avoid that...

I'm curious -- do you see a difference between cohabitating and marriage? What you've described is a sexually compatible relationship, maybe, but that's hardly the same thing.

3184751461_8bfe6039b5_o.gif

I'm curious -- do you see a difference between cohabitating and marriage? What you've described is a sexually compatible relationship, maybe, but that's hardly the same thing.

I do, do you?

So if a man and woman don't want to have kids they should just "cohabitate"?

I know you don't believe that. See what I mean about miles of circles?

Actually, I did. I mentioned childbirth -- which men still cannot perform (cursed biology), and which is a crucial ten month time for women preparing to be mothers.

childbirth is not parenting. that's pretty basic, no?

i suppose adoptive parents or women with sperm donors don't spend that time preparing? how many families are you going to bash simply because they look different in order to make whatever point you're continuing to grasp at?

what does this have to do with marriage?

Additionally, the period of adolescence when a child begins to develop sexually is a time when the vast majority of girls want and need a mother, and the vast majority of boys want and need a father.

this is sloppy psychology if i've ever heard it -- but i suppose it goes along with your willingness to bash single parents in order to make points that gays and single parents are somehow flawed, inadequate parents, and therefore they shouldn't get married.

many boys and many girls are damaged and harmed by their mothers and their fathers, and many boys and many girls also turn to other family members at various points in their lives.

many fathers are able to talk to their daughters about puberty and sexuality, and mothers to their sons. and many parents never have direct talks with their kids.

i know you seem to think you know the best way for everyone to live and the best way for children to be raised and the best way for a family to look, but why don't you talk to the gay people you claim to know and ask them how they're going to handle puberty and other difficult issues. it could be, Nathan, that they have an answer that might be just as good as anything a heterosexual could come up with.

So I did answer your question. You just don't like the answer. Sorry.

are you under the assumption that you've made any sort of credible assertion or point or argument?

try again, Nathan. tell me how birthing a child is being a parent, and again, tell me what is exclusive to gender when it comes to actual parenting.

why don't you just come out and say that the only legitimate marriage involves biologically related parents and children?

it would be much more honest than this half-baked tautology.

but britney can shit out a couple and we're all good with that.

I think it's ironic that some gays are equating birth to human excrement, but when imitating
straight sex as in sodomy, they're actually in excrement more often then not.

I think it's ironic that some gays are equating birth to human excrement, but when imitating

i know, isn't it meta! :cute:

and this is a great meta point -- really, you're just freaked out by gay sex, and that's it! you have nothing but fear and ignorance left to fall back on!

again, meta!!!

I want to highlight this.

Not that I think <> will feel ashamed. But he should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom