equality blooms with spring, pt. II - Page 64 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2009, 08:26 AM   #946
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:52 PM
I'm sure the "man marries goat/giraffe/dog" posts are almost upon us.

Lather, rinse, repeat!

Old 12-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #947
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Glad to see the bigoted hegemony that marriage is between a real man and a real woman is finally crumbling.

seriously? this just proves the absolute absence of any argument against same-sex marriage.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:55 AM   #948
Blue Crack Supplier

remember how a few weeks ago, we were talking about how the Catholic Church in DC was threatening to stop helping the poor if, God forbid, they had to extend benefits to same-sex partners of their employees and most of us were like, "get over it already."

well, turns out they did.

Quote:
Legalization of Same Sex Marriage in the Nation’s Capital
Archdiocese Remains Committed to Serving Poor

December 15, 2009

Today the District of Columbia joined a handful of states where legislatures or courts have redefined marriage to include persons of the same sex. Since this legislation was first introduced in October, the Archdiocese of Washington opposed the redefinition of marriage based on the core teaching of the Catholic Church that the complementarity of man and woman is intrinsic to the definition of marriage. However, understanding the City Council was committed to legalizing same sex marriages, the archdiocese advocated for a bill that would balance the Council’s interest in redefining marriage with the need to protect religious freedom. Regrettably, the bill did not strike that balance.

The Archdiocese of Washington and Catholic Charities are deeply committed to serving those in need, regardless of race, creed, gender, ethnic origin or sexual orientation. This commitment is integral to our Catholic faith and will remain unchanged into the future.

Religious organizations have long been eligible to provide social services in our nation’s capital and have not been excluded simply because of their religious character. This is because the choice of provider has focused on the ability to deliver services effectively and efficiently. We are committed to serving the needs of the poor and look forward to working in partnership with the District of Columbia consistent with the mission of the Catholic Church.

Susan Gibbs
Director of Communications
301-853-4517
gibbss@adw.org

Box Turtle Bulletin Washingon Archdiocese: Forget We Said All That
Old 12-18-2009, 11:04 AM   #949
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
The Archdiocese of Washington and Catholic Charities are deeply committed to serving those in need, regardless of race, creed, gender, ethnic origin or sexual orientation. This commitment is integral to our Catholic faith and will remain unchanged into the future.

This is one of the few things that I have always found impressive in the Catholic Church (both on a small and large scale).
Old 12-18-2009, 11:15 AM   #950
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:52 AM

Then again, using the poor as political leverage. Have these people no shame?
Old 12-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #951
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
seriously? this just proves the absolute absence of any argument against same-sex marriage.
Exactly, I'm still baffled as to what INDY's point was with this one... I think the stress of the holidays might be getting to him.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:45 AM   #952
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTeeth View Post
Then again, using the poor as political leverage. Have these people no shame?
Apparently not.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:19 PM   #953
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I think the stress of the holidays might be getting to him.

you mean the stress of CHRISTMAS. please.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:38 PM   #954
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Of course, what was I thinking...
Old 12-18-2009, 12:42 PM   #955
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Glad to see the bigoted hegemony that marriage is between a real man and a real woman is finally crumbling.
Either you're fucking with us (I sincerely hope so, and hey, a Bill Hicks fan has to have a good sense of humor) ... or you're an idiot.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:11 PM   #956
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
Either you're fucking with us (I sincerely hope so, and hey, a Bill Hicks fan has to have a good sense of humor) ... or you're an idiot.
C) All the above.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:21 AM   #957
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
C) All the above.
I just took three exams in one day, totaling exactly 315 multiple choice questions between them. I was hoping to avoid more of this. Damn you, Internet.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:31 PM   #958
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post

This is one of the few things that I have always found impressive in the Catholic Church (both on a small and large scale).
You're lapsed Catholic too, right? I am thinking of going through the formal process of leaving the RC empire. Apparently there's a process you can go through of formally renouncing membership of the RC church and I'd rather be definitive at this point. I'd rather not do the typical Irish Catholic agnostic thing of "I don't really believe in God but I do think there's something out there but the parents wouldn't approve and anyway I'd prefer to hedge my bets, just in case ". I might ask my cousin about this over the Christmas - he's atheist too. He usually makes a point of announcing or in some way alluding to it over Xmas dinner, which I always get a laugh out of.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:37 PM   #959
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
Yes, well I have the distinct impression that some FYM'rs take Indy's posts a bit too seriously at times.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:36 PM   #960
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
You're lapsed Catholic too, right? I am thinking of going through the formal process of leaving the RC empire. Apparently there's a process you can go through of formally renouncing membership of the RC church and I'd rather be definitive at this point. I'd rather not do the typical Irish Catholic agnostic thing of "I don't really believe in God but I do think there's something out there but the parents wouldn't approve and anyway I'd prefer to hedge my bets, just in case ". I might ask my cousin about this over the Christmas - he's atheist too. He usually makes a point of announcing or in some way alluding to it over Xmas dinner, which I always get a laugh out of.
Guess who did the typical Irish Catholic agnostic thing of not wanting to make the parents upset? THIS GUY. I actually think I could tell my mother I killed a guy and she'd be less upset than if I said I was leaving the Church.