equality blooms with spring, pt. II - Page 54 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2009, 09:23 AM   #796
She's the One

Local Time: 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
I'm pretty sure I haven't commented on the subject of gay marriage in this thread. Again, I'm of a very mixed opinion on the issue.
Yet, you'll take the anti side pretty consistently, hiding behind The Children.

Quote:
let
This single word in this sentence says a lot. You're happy in your hegemony, secure in your majority rights, and unwilling to loosen the grasp you have.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:24 AM   #797
She's the One

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
I'll butt in here and ask a question that will be too hard to answer. I have no kids. I have never ever planned to have kids. We got married 20 1/2 years ago with the plan to never have kids. I'm fixed, surgically, to never have kids. They're not happening in this lifetime.

So far, we've had pages of posts about families, fathers, mothers, men, women, biology, philosophy. None of these have addressed the fact that marriages sometimes don't produce children.

The question: Is my marriage still legitimate to those posters who have decided that marriage is only for having children?
Anyone else?

Old 11-27-2009, 07:09 PM   #798
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:41 AM
My question for you Martha is, why do you care what those people think? Unless I am misreading your posts, I don't see why you should be concerned about how some people see your marriage.

But to answer your question: marriage is a union between two people. It's a point where two people decide to live for someone and not just themselves. So, in that case, yes your marriage is a legitimate.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:24 PM   #799
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:41 AM
It smells like dead horses in here
Old 11-27-2009, 07:41 PM   #800
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
My question for you Martha is, why do you care what those people think? Unless I am misreading your posts, I don't see why you should be concerned about how some people see your marriage.

But to answer your question: marriage is a union between two people. It's a point where two people decide to live for someone and not just themselves. So, in that case, yes your marriage is a legitimate.
She's making a point that you apparently missed. She's trying to say that if her marriage is legitimate (it is), so too should gay marriages. Neither marriage will result in biological children, yet one is allowed and one isn't. This perplexes Martha. That's the point.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:51 PM   #801
She's the One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
She's making a point that you apparently missed. She's trying to say that if her marriage is legitimate (it is), so too should gay marriages. Neither marriage will result in biological children, yet one is allowed and one isn't. This perplexes Martha. That's the point.
Philly's got it.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:33 PM   #802
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I'm far more concerned with some of the underlying issues that have been stated on this board; it's those issues I have concerns with, and those I've addressed -- specifically, the crucial role fathers play in the family.

who's denied that fathers are important to their children?

why would you bring up such a concern in a thread about marriage equality?
Old 11-29-2009, 08:55 PM   #803
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
why would you bring up such a concern in a thread about marriage equality?
Actually, I didn't bring up any concern; you did. You were very specific with your question about gender roles in parenting. So... [shrug]
Old 11-29-2009, 08:59 PM   #804
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:41 AM
Quote:
Yet, you'll take the anti side pretty consistently, hiding behind The Children.
Huh. I thought that I had actually discussed things like human biological and sociological development and quoted statistics and facts and stuff. But, you know, whatever.

Quote:
Quote:
let
This single word in this sentence says a lot. You're happy in your hegemony, secure in your majority rights, and unwilling to loosen the grasp you have.
What part of "Determining the cultural definition of what is and is not a legitimate family unit is a far more complicated matter that I'm willing to let be decided by the legal process, the legislature, and the court of public opinion. (Though I certainly have my own opinions on the subject, and have no problem sharing them.)" is difficult for you to understand? Laws change, attitudes shift, the courts amend and revise. I'm willing to submit to those. So I'm not sure what you're on about.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:38 PM   #805
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Actually, I didn't bring up any concern; you did. You were very specific with your question about gender roles in parenting. So... [shrug]

right. no one's answered the question -- what is it that only men can do that women cannot ever do.

sure, we all think that father's are important to their own families, but what is it about his gender -- and gender only -- that would be impossible to be filled by two women?

so, again, a week later, the question still stands.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:51 PM   #806
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:41 AM
A classmate from my grad program runs a blog on Uganda news. Her most recent post is about how its Parliament is looking to pass an anti-gay bill which will criminalize homosexuality in ways that are despicable.

Quote:
Homosexuality has always been illegal in Uganda, due to my favorite country’s (dated) colonial law, but this bill practically makes that draconian law look like a pride parade. (The current law classifies homosexuality as a “crime against the order of nature.”)

Some low points:
-The bill would nullify any international treaties that don’t have an explicit anti-homosexuality sentiment.
-People engaging in homosexuality will face life imprisonment. Those found spreading HIV through homosexual acts will be put to death, as will those who engage in homosexuality with minors and the disabled.
-Those with knowledge of homosexuals living in Uganda and don’t report the individual to the police within 24 hours can face three years in jail.
-Ugandans in the diaspora in gay relationships could be extradited back to Uganda and put in jail for life.
Uganda’s Anti-Homosexuality Bill: I Actually Speak Up � From Kampala to New York

And if you don't believe her, here's a news link:

Harper slams Uganda's anti-gay bill

Reading this makes you realize that despite not being allowed to legally marry, homosexuals have it a lot easier in the U.S. than in many parts of the world. I can only hope Ugandans wake up and realize what they are doing is totally barbaric.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:14 PM   #807
She's the One

Quote:

What part of "Determining the cultural definition of what is and is not a legitimate family unit is a far more complicated matter that I'm willing to let be decided by the legal process, the legislature, and the court of public opinion. (Though I certainly have my own opinions on the subject, and have no problem sharing them.)" is difficult for you to understand?
Quote:
let
You're not willing to "let" it happen, except when you're ready.

And the best part, nathan? You never answered my question.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:15 PM   #808
She's the One

Quote:
I'll butt in here and ask a question that will be too hard to answer. I have no kids. I have never ever planned to have kids. We got married 20 1/2 years ago with the plan to never have kids. I'm fixed, surgically, to never have kids. They're not happening in this lifetime.

So far, we've had pages of posts about families, fathers, mothers, men, women, biology, philosophy. None of these have addressed the fact that marriages sometimes don't produce children.

The question: Is my marriage still legitimate to those posters who have decided that marriage is only for having children?
Still waiting for AEON or INDY to weigh in.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:29 PM   #809
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
And the best part, nathan? You never answered my question.

get in line.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:36 PM   #810
She's the One

Don't you have a separate line somewhere?