equality blooms with spring, pt. II - Page 54 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-27-2009, 09:23 AM   #796
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,334
Local Time: 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
I'm pretty sure I haven't commented on the subject of gay marriage in this thread. Again, I'm of a very mixed opinion on the issue.
Yet, you'll take the anti side pretty consistently, hiding behind The Children.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
let
This single word in this sentence says a lot. You're happy in your hegemony, secure in your majority rights, and unwilling to loosen the grasp you have.
__________________

__________________
martha is offline  
Old 11-27-2009, 09:24 AM   #797
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,334
Local Time: 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
I'll butt in here and ask a question that will be too hard to answer. I have no kids. I have never ever planned to have kids. We got married 20 1/2 years ago with the plan to never have kids. I'm fixed, surgically, to never have kids. They're not happening in this lifetime.

So far, we've had pages of posts about families, fathers, mothers, men, women, biology, philosophy. None of these have addressed the fact that marriages sometimes don't produce children.


The question: Is my marriage still legitimate to those posters who have decided that marriage is only for having children?
Anyone else?
__________________

__________________
martha is offline  
Old 11-27-2009, 07:09 PM   #798
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,653
Local Time: 03:41 AM
My question for you Martha is, why do you care what those people think? Unless I am misreading your posts, I don't see why you should be concerned about how some people see your marriage.

But to answer your question: marriage is a union between two people. It's a point where two people decide to live for someone and not just themselves. So, in that case, yes your marriage is a legitimate.
__________________
Pearl is offline  
Old 11-27-2009, 07:24 PM   #799
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 02:41 AM
It smells like dead horses in here
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline  
Old 11-27-2009, 07:41 PM   #800
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
My question for you Martha is, why do you care what those people think? Unless I am misreading your posts, I don't see why you should be concerned about how some people see your marriage.

But to answer your question: marriage is a union between two people. It's a point where two people decide to live for someone and not just themselves. So, in that case, yes your marriage is a legitimate.
She's making a point that you apparently missed. She's trying to say that if her marriage is legitimate (it is), so too should gay marriages. Neither marriage will result in biological children, yet one is allowed and one isn't. This perplexes Martha. That's the point.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 11-27-2009, 07:51 PM   #801
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,334
Local Time: 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
My question for you Martha is, why do you care what those people think? Unless I am misreading your posts, I don't see why you should be concerned about how some people see your marriage.

But to answer your question: marriage is a union between two people. It's a point where two people decide to live for someone and not just themselves. So, in that case, yes your marriage is a legitimate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
She's making a point that you apparently missed. She's trying to say that if her marriage is legitimate (it is), so too should gay marriages. Neither marriage will result in biological children, yet one is allowed and one isn't. This perplexes Martha. That's the point.
Philly's got it.
__________________
martha is offline  
Old 11-28-2009, 02:33 PM   #802
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,483
Local Time: 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
I'm far more concerned with some of the underlying issues that have been stated on this board; it's those issues I have concerns with, and those I've addressed -- specifically, the crucial role fathers play in the family.


who's denied that fathers are important to their children?

why would you bring up such a concern in a thread about marriage equality?
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 11-29-2009, 08:55 PM   #803
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Strong Badia
Posts: 3,429
Local Time: 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
why would you bring up such a concern in a thread about marriage equality?
Actually, I didn't bring up any concern; you did. You were very specific with your question about gender roles in parenting. So... [shrug]
__________________
nathan1977 is offline  
Old 11-29-2009, 08:59 PM   #804
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Strong Badia
Posts: 3,429
Local Time: 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Yet, you'll take the anti side pretty consistently, hiding behind The Children.
Huh. I thought that I had actually discussed things like human biological and sociological development and quoted statistics and facts and stuff. But, you know, whatever.

Quote:
Quote:
let
This single word in this sentence says a lot. You're happy in your hegemony, secure in your majority rights, and unwilling to loosen the grasp you have.
What part of "Determining the cultural definition of what is and is not a legitimate family unit is a far more complicated matter that I'm willing to let be decided by the legal process, the legislature, and the court of public opinion. (Though I certainly have my own opinions on the subject, and have no problem sharing them.)" is difficult for you to understand? Laws change, attitudes shift, the courts amend and revise. I'm willing to submit to those. So I'm not sure what you're on about.
__________________
nathan1977 is offline  
Old 11-29-2009, 09:38 PM   #805
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,483
Local Time: 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
Actually, I didn't bring up any concern; you did. You were very specific with your question about gender roles in parenting. So... [shrug]


right. no one's answered the question -- what is it that only men can do that women cannot ever do.

sure, we all think that father's are important to their own families, but what is it about his gender -- and gender only -- that would be impossible to be filled by two women?

so, again, a week later, the question still stands.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 11-29-2009, 09:51 PM   #806
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,653
Local Time: 03:41 AM
A classmate from my grad program runs a blog on Uganda news. Her most recent post is about how its Parliament is looking to pass an anti-gay bill which will criminalize homosexuality in ways that are despicable.

Quote:
Homosexuality has always been illegal in Uganda, due to my favorite country’s (dated) colonial law, but this bill practically makes that draconian law look like a pride parade. (The current law classifies homosexuality as a “crime against the order of nature.”)

Some low points:
-The bill would nullify any international treaties that don’t have an explicit anti-homosexuality sentiment.
-People engaging in homosexuality will face life imprisonment. Those found spreading HIV through homosexual acts will be put to death, as will those who engage in homosexuality with minors and the disabled.
-Those with knowledge of homosexuals living in Uganda and don’t report the individual to the police within 24 hours can face three years in jail.
-Ugandans in the diaspora in gay relationships could be extradited back to Uganda and put in jail for life.
Uganda’s Anti-Homosexuality Bill: I Actually Speak Up � From Kampala to New York

And if you don't believe her, here's a news link:

Harper slams Uganda's anti-gay bill

Reading this makes you realize that despite not being allowed to legally marry, homosexuals have it a lot easier in the U.S. than in many parts of the world. I can only hope Ugandans wake up and realize what they are doing is totally barbaric.
__________________
Pearl is offline  
Old 11-29-2009, 11:14 PM   #807
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,334
Local Time: 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post

What part of "Determining the cultural definition of what is and is not a legitimate family unit is a far more complicated matter that I'm willing to let be decided by the legal process, the legislature, and the court of public opinion. (Though I certainly have my own opinions on the subject, and have no problem sharing them.)" is difficult for you to understand?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
let
You're not willing to "let" it happen, except when you're ready.


And the best part, nathan? You never answered my question.
__________________
martha is offline  
Old 11-29-2009, 11:15 PM   #808
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,334
Local Time: 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
I'll butt in here and ask a question that will be too hard to answer. I have no kids. I have never ever planned to have kids. We got married 20 1/2 years ago with the plan to never have kids. I'm fixed, surgically, to never have kids. They're not happening in this lifetime.

So far, we've had pages of posts about families, fathers, mothers, men, women, biology, philosophy. None of these have addressed the fact that marriages sometimes don't produce children.


The question: Is my marriage still legitimate to those posters who have decided that marriage is only for having children?
Still waiting for AEON or INDY to weigh in.
__________________
martha is offline  
Old 11-29-2009, 11:29 PM   #809
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,483
Local Time: 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
And the best part, nathan? You never answered my question.


get in line.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 11-29-2009, 11:36 PM   #810
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,334
Local Time: 11:41 PM
Don't you have a separate line somewhere?
__________________

__________________
martha is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Random Risque U2 Pictures (PT II) FallingStar PLEBA Archive 147 07-28-2003 03:01 PM
MERGED --> When will Cleveland II be? + Rock Hall Celebration (Spring) CMM Interference Gatherings 80 04-14-2003 10:02 PM
Getcher Classical on! Psst...Dieman. Johnny Swallow Lemonade Stand Archive 8 03-07-2003 04:53 PM
the Europe photos pt. II (including interferencers!!!) sulawesigirl4 Lemonade Stand Archive 61 01-05-2003 03:29 PM
When hormones go bad Pt. II: MacPhisto WildHonee PLEBA Archive 9 11-02-2001 07:36 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com