equality blooms with spring, pt. II - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2009, 07:26 PM   #61
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
Actually, I guess what I should have said is that nobody can discuss morality in a purely secular manner.

In one way or another, your belief system is what you eventually turn to when you are asked "why" you believe what you believe.
Again this is plainly wrong, please pick up a book on ethics and observe how grown ups treat issues of right and wrong.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:31 PM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post
somehow belittling homosexuals it is not going to make that so ever again. The days of women taking a supporting role to her leading man's life are over--gay marriage or not.
interesting

Old 11-15-2009, 07:37 PM   #63
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:00 AM
why are vaginas important to marriage?
Old 11-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
please pick up a book on ethics and observe how grown ups treat issues of right and wrong.
Charming.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:47 PM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
why are vaginas important to marriage?
Irvine, please define vagina and explain to us why it is different than a penis.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:50 PM   #66
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Irvine, please define vagina and explain to us why it is different than a penis.

you are not answering my question.

again, why is a vagina critical to marriage?
Old 11-15-2009, 07:50 PM   #67
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
interesting
Your thoughts?

Perhaps you take exception to the specific language I used, but I think you can agree that assigning specific traditional gender roles to heterosexual men and women is an exercise in futility, even if you completely remove sexuality from the equation. Not even Sarah Palin can fit into those roles.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:02 PM   #68
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:00 AM
Quote:
Why won't you answer the question?

If people can get married and not have children, why is a vagina so important for marriage?
Old 11-15-2009, 08:04 PM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
you are not answering my question.

I am trying to (again). However, before we can continue the discussion I think it's wise we agreed on some of the basic terminology.

If you won't define vagina - would you at lease concede there is a difference between a vagina and a penis?
Old 11-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #70
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I am trying to (again). However, before we can continue the discussion I think it's wise we agreed on some of the basic terminology.

If you won't define vagina - would you at lease concede there is a difference between a vagina and a penis?

yes, of course there is a difference. a penis is the male sex organ, a vagina is a female sex organ.

now, why is having one of each absolutely so critical to the definition of marriage?

i'm trying to actually give you something here. both Sarah Palin and Hillary Cilnton are always going to have their vaginas, no matter how untraditional (or traditional) they may define their own gender roles.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:35 PM   #71
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
yes, of course there is a difference. a penis is the male sex organ, a vagina is a female sex organ.
You asked...
Quote:
i would like to know what it is about our relationship that lacks in comparison to any and all other heterosexual relationship
I implied that one critical difference between your relationship (a homosexual one) and a heterosexual marriage is that in a heterosexual marriage - there is a man (as defined by having a penis, a male sex organ) and a woman (as defined by having a vagina, a female sex organ).

At this point, I am not saying either relationship/marriage is right or wrong - just different. Will you concede that?
Old 11-15-2009, 08:40 PM   #72
Blue Crack Supplier

[QUOTE=AEON;6524391]You asked...
Quote:
i would like to know what it is about our relationship that lacks in comparison to any and all other heterosexual relationship [/i]

I implied that one critical difference between your relationship (a homosexual one) and a heterosexual marriage is that in a heterosexual marriage - there is a man (as defined by having a penis, a male sex organ) and a woman (as defined by having a vagina, a female sex organ).

At this point, I am not saying either relationship/marriage is right or wrong - just different. Will you concede that?

so what is it about these not right or wrong but different relationships that enables one to have a privileged status over the other?

you notice that you're now moving away from sex to just gender -- again, what is it about a male/female relationship (no matter who the people are) that makes it better than a same-sexed relationship?
Old 11-15-2009, 09:16 PM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

so what is it about these not right or wrong but different relationships that enables one to have a privileged status over the other?

Irvine, thank you for your patience. Unfortunately, I must ask for even more patience from you - so please bear with me as we walk through this. One of the problems in our past discussions is that we make some assumptions and points get missed, questions go unanswered (or misunderstood), and we go off on yet another tangent. I seriously believe I have something to learn from you - a beautiful, wonderful human being that is obviously very intelligent, thoughtful, and downright funny. If nothing else, we both love U2 so we have that to build on.

Also, I am sometimes pulled away from the blue crack and can't answer as quickly (or as thoroughly) as some would prefer. Believe me, I know the feeling of posting a pertinent question and it isn't answered for hours - or sometimes never. It just happens. The thread moves on - topics change - and when that person returns they pick up from the last page. Please believe me when I say that I do try to answer each and every question. However, I am sometimes forced to pick and choose which questions I answer more in depth than others. More than anything, this is a time constraint issue. Also, it seems I am mostly going at it alone this time around...with the possible exception of Barack Obama video clips

Thank you for understanding.

Since we cannot productively discuss my spiritual views on this particular matter (I'm not belittling that - you wish to keep this tangent on a social, legal, and biological level and I will try and respect that), I would like to ask you - which would you consider more important to the health and survival of any given human society, successful biological reproduction or personal sexual fulfillment?
Old 11-15-2009, 09:22 PM   #74
She's the One

Local Time: 11:00 PM
Wow. We have a winner. I don't even want to count the number of words you used to make it look like you were actually answering the question. And then you didn't answer the question. You haven't yet. You never will. You'll just type out a lot of civilized words and articulate-sounding thoughts, and poof! A pseudo-answer.

But I think I know where you're going with this, and if you go there, I'll have another question for you not to answer.

Quote:
Irvine, thank you for your patience. Unfortunately, I must ask for even more patience from you - so please bear with me as we walk through this. One of the problems in our past discussions is that we make some assumptions and points get missed, questions go unanswered (or misunderstood), and we go off on yet another tangent. I seriously believe I have something to learn from you - a beautiful, wonderful human being that is obviously very intelligent, thoughtful, and downright funny. If nothing else, we both love U2 so we have that to build on.

Also, I am sometimes pulled away from the blue crack and can't answer as quickly (or as thoroughly) as some would prefer. Believe me, I know the feeling of posting a pertinent question and it isn't answered for hours - or sometimes never. It just happens. The thread moves on - topics change - and when that person returns they pick up from the last page. Please believe me when I say that I do try to answer each and every question. However, I am sometimes forced to pick and choose which questions I answer more in depth than others. More than anything, this is a time constraint issue. Also, it seems I am mostly going at it alone this time around...with the possible exception of Barack Obama video clips

Thank you for understanding.

Since we cannot productively discuss my spiritual views on this particular matter (I'm not belittling that - you wish to keep this tangent on a social, legal, and biological level and I will try and respect that), I would like to ask you - which would you consider more important to the health and survival of any given human society, successful biological reproduction or personal sexual fulfillment?
Old 11-15-2009, 09:29 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:00 AM
Quote:
This. This is the question I keep coming back to in this whole debate. So far it's gone unanswered. Why deny two consenting adults the protections of the state afforded to others who also want to join into a monogamous, committed relationship?

AEON?

Indy?

Bueller?

Some of us have come around on civil unions or domestic partnerships because we agree that equal protection should apply to same-sex unions. Doesn't mean we want to call that union a marriage however.

But who's stopping gays from entering into a monogamous, committed relationships?

Aeon? No
Indy? No
The citizens of California, Maine and all the other states that voted in support of traditional marriage? No