equality blooms with spring, pt. II - Page 34 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-22-2009, 10:56 PM   #496
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I wasn't trying to prove anything with it; that's simply what I was reminded of when I read martha's post.

Well, if we're in the business of just telling random anecdotes of homophobia, probably the most homophobic outburst I ever heard in my life was from a female office colleague - in her twenties, and very good looking. This was around the time when an ad agency had attracted some controversy in Ireland after putting out an add featuring two Gaelic footballers kissing - I can't even remember what the campaign was for. Anyway, this lady happens to notice a billboard displaying the add during a lunchbreak walk and having returned reported that she found it absolutely disgusting and proceeded to go a loud rant about 'the gays' for around five minutes.

Frankly, it was really embarassing, especially seeing as a gay colleague was well within earshot.
__________________

__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 10:59 PM   #497
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
I'm addressing the belief that the state shouldn't be involved in marriage at all, yet you refuse to engage in this discussion. Why is that?
Because I already answered it.
__________________

__________________
AEON is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 11:01 PM   #498
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,498
Local Time: 02:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Well, if we're in the business of just telling random anecdotes of homophobia, probably the most homophobic outburst I ever heard in my life was from a female office colleague - in her twenties, and very good looking. This was around the time when an ad agency had attracted some controversy in Ireland after putting out an add featuring two Gaelic footballers kissing - I can't even remember what the campaign was for. Anyway, this lady happens to notice a billboard displaying the add during a lunchbreak walk and having returned reported that she found it absolutely disgusting and proceeded to go a loud rant about 'the gays' for around five minutes.

Frankly, it was really embarassing, especially seeing as a gay colleague was well within earshot.


__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 11:04 PM   #499
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,730
Local Time: 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
... in her twenties, and very good looking.
Pshyeah right! I can't believe there are any good-looking homophobes.
__________________
corianderstem is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 11:04 PM   #500
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 02:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
I think that's pretty naive, to be honest. Given that contraception and social welfare are readily available, it's naive to think that moral hazard isn't an issue here. Before contraception and the welfare state, you might have had a point.

There are communities where pregnancy and having a bunch of kids is a badge of honour. Not least because of the social welfare benefits.
Wow.

I'm going to just skip to the main question I have after reading this: Do you honestly think allowing gay couples to adopt (mind you, this like 5% of the population) would increase teen pregnancy?
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 11:05 PM   #501
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,337
Local Time: 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
Because I already answered it.

Then please direct me to the post. It may have gotten lost somewhere in the adoption sidetrack.
__________________
martha is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 11:05 PM   #502
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,337
Local Time: 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post


I'm not seein' anything wrong with that.
__________________
martha is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 11:06 PM   #503
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
Wow.

I'm going to just skip to the main question I have after reading this: Do you honestly think allowing gay couples to adopt (mind you, this like 5% of the population) would increase teen pregnancy?
Why do you keep trying to paint me as someone that is opposed to gay couples specifically from adopting?
__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 11:10 PM   #504
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Then please direct me to the post. It may have gotten lost somewhere in the adoption sidetrack.

If I find it, and re-post it, what will you do to entertain us?
__________________
AEON is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 11:12 PM   #505
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,337
Local Time: 11:29 PM
I can't tap dance, although I took lessons once.

And no one wants me to sing. :shudder:

I could fall off my bicycle. I haven't yet, but I think we all know it's going to happen at some point.
__________________
martha is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 11:13 PM   #506
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 02:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
I can't tap dance, although I took lessons once.

And no one wants me to sing. :shudder:

I could fall off my bicycle. I haven't yet, but I think we all know it's going to happen at some point.
You can do it!

"Everything gays can do straights can do better...."
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 11:15 PM   #507
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post
You can do it!

"Everything gays can do straights can do better...."

Okay, that actually made me laugh out loud
__________________
AEON is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 11:18 PM   #508
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,337
Local Time: 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post
You can do it!

"Everything gays can do straights can do better...."
__________________
martha is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 11:19 PM   #509
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,730
Local Time: 11:29 PM
So now that's stuck in my head.

Gee, thanks.

__________________
corianderstem is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 11:22 PM   #510
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 08:29 AM
YouTube - The Day Today - Gay Desk
__________________

__________________
financeguy is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Random Risque U2 Pictures (PT II) FallingStar PLEBA Archive 147 07-28-2003 03:01 PM
MERGED --> When will Cleveland II be? + Rock Hall Celebration (Spring) CMM Interference Gatherings 80 04-14-2003 10:02 PM
Getcher Classical on! Psst...Dieman. Johnny Swallow Lemonade Stand Archive 8 03-07-2003 04:53 PM
the Europe photos pt. II (including interferencers!!!) sulawesigirl4 Lemonade Stand Archive 61 01-05-2003 03:29 PM
When hormones go bad Pt. II: MacPhisto WildHonee PLEBA Archive 9 11-02-2001 07:36 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com