equality blooms with spring, pt. II - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2009, 10:15 PM   #466
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
I don't know Peef, if we can't talk about the The Children, then we have to go back to the real reason homos can't get married.

They make people uncomfortable.
Once when I was still in school, a male friend told me that it's not that he really cared about gay marriage one way or another but that he thought that two men kissing was "really gross."

And while I found that to be sort of childish and eyeroll worthy, I actually respected him for his honesty rather than parroting some church sermon, or the slippery legal slope towards the union of man and giraffe, or save the children! At least his view was his own.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:16 PM   #467
She's the One

Local Time: 07:09 AM
I thought we were discussing the reasons gays shouldn't be allowed to get married?

So far poor AEON hasn't come up with a good reason. At all.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:17 PM   #468
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
So teen pregnancies aren't a problem? How come so much efforts are invested in discouraging them?
I'm not saying teen pregnancies aren't a problem, dude. That's an entirely different issue. What I'm saying is that at no point before they get pregnant do they think, "Hey, you know what? I don't really mind if I get pregnant because I can just put it up for adoption." Which is the only thing you can be implying for your post to make any sense and have relevance in this conversation.

And if this is the argument you're making, how does homosexual couples being allowed to adopt change anything? It's not like adoption doesn't exist now.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:17 PM   #469
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
I thought we were discussing the reasons gays shouldn't be allowed to get married?

So far poor AEON hasn't come up with a good reason. At all.
It's because the state shouldn't be involved in marriages at all.

Not that that in any way addresses why gays shouldn't be allowed to get married, mind you...
Old 11-22-2009, 10:18 PM   #470
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
People should stop adopting because it only encourages promiscuous people to have more babies?
Yes, of course, and banks should not grant loans to anyone at all ever because some of the loans might go bad.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:18 PM   #471
She's the One

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Once when I was still in school, a male friend told me that it's not that he really cared about gay marriage one way or another but that he thought that two men kissing was "really gross."

And while I found that to be sort of childish and eyeroll worthy, I actually respected him for his honesty rather than parroting some church sermon, or the slippery legal slope towards the union of man and giraffe, or save the children! At least his view was his own.
This is what I'm waiting for AEON to break down and admit, rather than all this polite, horrifying sermonizing about the State, the Children, and the Bible.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:19 PM   #472
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
And if this is the argument you're making, how does homosexual couples being allowed to adopt change anything? It's not like adoption doesn't exist now.
Because once the gays want to partake in something, it's now time to ban it for everyone?
Old 11-22-2009, 10:19 PM   #473
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:09 AM
Quote:
AEON's entire line of thinking is based on things like "ideal" or "optimal" upbringings. There's no such thing, and the sooner we get past that, the better.
Is that true for anything - or just adoption?
Old 11-22-2009, 10:20 PM   #474
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post

Didn't you used to be a scientist?
Old 11-22-2009, 10:21 PM   #475
She's the One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
It's because the state shouldn't be involved in marriages at all.

Not that that in any way addresses why gays shouldn't be allowed to get married, mind you...

I guess that's it, but he still won't tell me if he's going to get a civil divorce to illustrate his point, or if he's still going to reap the benefits of civil marriage, meanwhile pointing out how no one else should be allowed to have what he has. And claims he doesn't need.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:21 PM   #476
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
Is that true for anything - or just adoption?
I'm saying there's no perfect way, and I'm saying that the most important factors in raising kids have NOTHING to do with biological vs. adopted or straight vs. gay. They have to do with the character of the prospective parents. They have to do with the kind of home the parents can provide financially. Things like that. Important things. You're talking about things that really don't matter at all.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:23 PM   #477
She's the One

Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post
Because once the gays want to partake in something, it's now time to ban it for everyone?

Yes. So, as a favor, would you guys start wearing sweats in public with words across the ass? I'd really like these banned, please.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:24 PM   #478
She's the One

Quote:
I'm saying there's no perfect way, and I'm saying that the most important factors in raising kids have NOTHING to do with biological vs. adopted or straight vs. gay. They have to do with the character of the prospective parents. They have to do with the kind of home the parents can provide financially. Things like that. Important things. You're talking about things that really don't matter at all.
Adoption has NOTHING to do with the gay marriage question, but as long as he keeps us talking about it, then we forget what the real topic is.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:24 PM   #479
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
Crying that somebody should think of the children is a lame tactic designed to take equal rights out of the discussion.
This tangent was created by addressing the adoption issue asked by philly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26
Homosexuals should be allowed to marry and raise families via either adoption or artificial insemination and given the same rights as heterosexuals for both the marriage and the family raising. Someone tell me why this isn't a good idea
Old 11-22-2009, 10:25 PM   #480
She's the One

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
This tangent was created by addressing the adoption issue asked by philly:
Oh please. You'll do anything to avoid the real issue.