equality blooms with spring, pt. II - Page 30 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2009, 09:46 PM   #436
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
I see. But I'm afraid that your subjective value judgement on what I know or do not know regarding the raising of adopted children has no relevance to answering AEON's original question.
AEON's entire line of thinking is based on things like "ideal" or "optimal" upbringings. There's no such thing, and the sooner we get past that, the better.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:46 PM   #437
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
Why is that gender essentialism so important for marriage?

Should kids in single parent families be put into foster homes?
A_Wanderer, you are a self-proclaimed scientist - certainly you can follow the discussion to see it is currently revolving around what is optimal and not merely what is acceptable.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:47 PM   #438
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
You don't see anything harsh about reducing gay marriage to a left wing social experiment?
If you read my posts properly, you'll see that that was not remotely what I was saying. In fact, I was merely pointing out the social reservations that still exist with regard to artificial techniques of generating human life.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:48 PM   #439
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
AEON's entire line of thinking is based on things like "ideal" or "optimal" upbringings. There's no such thing, and the sooner we get past that, the better.
So you see no difference between, for example, being borne to a crack whore in Harlem as opposed to a regular middle class family?

Get real.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:48 PM   #440
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
I'm of the opinion that there are many ways to raise a child well.
Are any of those ways "better" than another - or are you suggesting all of the ways are essentially the same?
Old 11-22-2009, 09:49 PM   #441
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:58 AM
Quote:
So, you're arguing that a child having and being raised by biological parents does not, in any way, strengthen the bonds?
No, in fact there is evidence that adopted children can often feel a bond that biological children don't, there is never a question if they were an accident or burden because they were "chosen", that their parents went out their way financially and emotionally "have" them.

Yes there are medical issues and physical issues such as Deep mentioned, but the "bonds" can go both ways.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:53 PM   #442
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
So you see no difference between, for example, being borne to a crack whore in Harlem as opposed to a regular middle class family?

Get real.
That's not at all what I was saying. I think you're confused as to what question AEON asked. AEON proposed a question in which he said all four of these couples are upstanding citizens with secure financial situations, and then asked me to rank them as to what is "optimal." That was the question I thought you were referring to. I don't recall Harlem crack addicts being asked about before this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
Are any of those ways "better" than another - or are you suggesting all of the ways are essentially the same?
You said they're all good people with secure homes, why do we need to go any further? Those are by far the most important factors, aren't they?
Old 11-22-2009, 09:53 PM   #443
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Get real.
I'm assuming you missed AEON's setup with "all things being equal". Or did you just choose to ignore again?
Old 11-22-2009, 09:55 PM   #444
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:58 AM
Quote:
A_Wanderer, you are a self-proclaimed scientist - certainly you can follow the discussion to see it is currently revolving around what is optimal and not merely what is acceptable.
I can see that you want to treat same-sex couples as inherently inferior to heterosexual couples, you have explicitly stated this belief is religious, and have been trying to justify it by clutching at any argument you can find.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:56 PM   #445
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
That said, that might involve such politically 'unpopular solutions as discouraging divorce, which seemingly is a big no-no, as it's probably 'anti-freedom', or 'anti-human rights', or some such.
You do realize that before divorce laws were re-written in the West that women had basically no means of leaving a marriage with an equal split of property and a variety of other issues?
Old 11-22-2009, 09:56 PM   #446
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I'm assuming you missed AEON's setup with "all things being equal". Or did you just choose to ignore again?
My post was in response to a post that stated "There's no such thing [as ideal or optimal upbringings], and the sooner we get past that, the better."
Old 11-22-2009, 09:56 PM   #447
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
But the question was based on the assumption there were no observable problems.

If you have two couples willing to adopt - one is heterosexual and one is homosexual - would it not be more beneficial to place the child in the home that also has the added benefit of a mother role and a father role. Or are you of the opinion that the mother role and father role is not important?
I'm of the opinion that children raised by responsible, loving parents (not the lack of orientation qualifier) who take an active role in their child's development tend to grow up just fine. So if there's a homosexual couple willing to adopt, and all signs indicate that they are responsible adults who will take a loving and active role in their child's development, then no, I do not believe they should be moved to the back of the line until all heterosexual couples are sorted through first. That strikes me as a bit barbaric, frankly.

"Gee, we appreciate your interest in adopting a child, Mr. and Mr. Smith. You seem like a very loving, responsible couple who are eager to start a family. Unfortunately, there's a slight possibility that a better, more straight couple is out there. So if you wouldn't mind waiting a few months/years until we either find that couple or decide to settle for you, that'd be just swell. No hard feelings right?"

Seriously, AEON, do you realize the implications of what you're proposing here?
Old 11-22-2009, 09:57 PM   #448
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Or are you of the opinion that the mother role and father role is not important?

i'm told i'd make a great mother.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:59 PM   #449
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Perhaps not per se, But there are also studies which show children of gay couples are sometimes disadvantaged by being bullied at school, for example.
And women who wear sexy dresses are just asking to be raped, right? Do you not see the trouble with your above logic?

Quote:
Overall, I personally think that with moves towards reducing population growth, scientifically possible but controversial techniques of generating life by means of such processes as IVF to allow for gay couples that demand kids 'of their own' may become socially unpopular.
But, of course, if heterosexual couples use IVF to demand kids "of their own," that's perfectly fine? I'm sorry, but this entire line of argumentation reeks of heterosexism.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:59 PM   #450
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
You do realize that before divorce laws were re-written in the West that women had basically no means of leaving a marriage with an equal split of property and a variety of other issues?
Certainly. But there are also divorce cases where the husband has exploited the system to renege on his responsibilities.

I am definitely not arguing for getting rid of divorce entirely, I'd be in favour of making it more difficult however.