equality blooms with spring, pt. II - Page 29 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-22-2009, 09:24 PM   #421
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,238
Local Time: 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
a left-wing social experiment.
How charitable of you.
__________________

__________________
Diemen is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:24 PM   #422
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post
Again, issues of placement are relevant to each individual adoption case and prospective parents. Unless you know the facts regarding a specific case and the judgment of the adoption professionals involved, how can you make a blanket statement as to whom is the best fit for the child?

Are you therefore suggesting there is no real importance to the gender roles (mother and father)?
__________________

__________________
AEON is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:29 PM   #423
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 03:53 PM
Why is that gender essentialism so important for marriage?

Should kids in single parent families be put into foster homes?
__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:30 PM   #424
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,238
Local Time: 11:53 PM
I believe what he's suggesting is that it is impossible to tell whether a willing heterosexual couple will be better than a willing homosexual couple unless "you know the facts regarding a specific case and the judgment of the adoption professionals involved," among other things.
__________________
Diemen is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:33 PM   #425
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
This a good point. I would like to understand more about why you think a biological parent is so important.
It seems pretty logical, frankly, that a biological bond will tend to strengthen overall bonds between child and parents. I assume there are studies that show this, but, really, to me, it's pretty commonsense stuff, and we all know studies can be politically influenced by both sides of the fence.
__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:35 PM   #426
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
How charitable of you.
I don't see why questions of charity enter into it.
__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:36 PM   #427
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
It seems pretty logical, frankly, that a biological bond will tend to strengthen overall bonds between child and parents. I assume there are studies that show this, but, really, to me, it's pretty commonsense stuff, and we all know studies can be politically influenced by both sides of the fence.


instead of thinking you're wrong, i'm now just thinking you're naive.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:37 PM   #428
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
instead of thinking you're wrong, i'm now just thinking you're naive.
So, you're arguing that a child having and being raised by biological parents does not, in any way, strengthen the bonds?
__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:39 PM   #429
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
It seems pretty logical, frankly, that a biological bond will tend to strengthen overall bonds between child and parents. I assume there are studies that show this, but, really, to me, it's pretty commonsense stuff, and we all know studies can be politically influenced by both sides of the fence.
Nope. A child born to biological parents and a child born to parents that adopted the child right from birth will form equal bonds if both parents care for them the same way. Any basic psychology course covers this.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:39 PM   #430
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
So, you're arguing that a child having and being raised by biological parents does not, in any way, strengthen the bonds?


i'm arguing that you don't know a thing about adopted children and their parents.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:42 PM   #431
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
I believe what he's suggesting is that it is impossible to tell whether a willing heterosexual couple will be better than a willing homosexual couple unless "you know the facts regarding a specific case and the judgment of the adoption professionals involved," among other things.
But the question was based on the assumption there were no observable problems.

If you have two couples willing to adopt - one is heterosexual and one is homosexual - would it not be more beneficial to place the child in the home that also has the added benefit of a mother role and a father role. Or are you of the opinion that the mother role and father role is not important?
__________________
AEON is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:42 PM   #432
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
Why is that gender essentialism so important for marriage?
Very few posters are arguing that it is.


Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
Should kids in single parent families be put into foster homes?
Only in the minority of cases - as with married couples - where the parent or parents is provably incapable of bringing up the kids.

Perhaps a better solution is to discourage marriage break up in the first place or even, dare I say it, discourage non-protected sexual intercourse outside of wedlock. That said, that might involve such politically 'unpopular solutions as discouraging divorce, which seemingly is a big no-no, as it's probably 'anti-freedom', or 'anti-human rights', or some such.
__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:43 PM   #433
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,238
Local Time: 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
I don't see why questions of charity enter into it.
You don't see anything harsh about reducing gay marriage to a left wing social experiment?
__________________
Diemen is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:44 PM   #434
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
If you have two couples willing to adopt - one is heterosexual and one is homosexual - would it not be more beneficial to place the child in the home that also has the added benefit of a mother role and a father role. Or are you of the opinion that the mother role and father role is not important?
I'm of the opinion that there are many ways to raise a child well.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:45 PM   #435
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i'm arguing that you don't know a thing about adopted children and their parents.
I see. But I'm afraid that your subjective value judgement on what I know or do not know regarding the raising of adopted children has no relevance to answering AEON's original question.
__________________

__________________
financeguy is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Random Risque U2 Pictures (PT II) FallingStar PLEBA Archive 147 07-28-2003 03:01 PM
MERGED --> When will Cleveland II be? + Rock Hall Celebration (Spring) CMM Interference Gatherings 80 04-14-2003 10:02 PM
Getcher Classical on! Psst...Dieman. Johnny Swallow Lemonade Stand Archive 8 03-07-2003 04:53 PM
the Europe photos pt. II (including interferencers!!!) sulawesigirl4 Lemonade Stand Archive 61 01-05-2003 03:29 PM
When hormones go bad Pt. II: MacPhisto WildHonee PLEBA Archive 9 11-02-2001 07:36 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com