equality blooms with spring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For some, but paranoia about homosexuality as an innate threat to the social order isn't contained to some "religious mindset." Support for DADT is one of the last refuges of good old bluntly unadorned "Gross, I don't want some ____ in the shower room with me" thinking. Male bonding, masculine honor and all that...well, you know; you went to middle school once.

I found this portion of the article that Mrs S posted a page ago heartening:

In a surprising twist, she found that the straight men with the most evolved sense of masculinity — the ones who forged the tightest friendships with their gay friends — were from military families or had some military training.

These men were used to being “thrown into different environments where it doesn’t matter whether you’re white or black or Hispanic,” Professor Price said. “You’re going to live in this house and you’re all going to be treated the same and you have to get along.”

most of my friends are straight men. well, probably even split between straight men and straight women. if it's been an issue with the straight men in my life, i haven't noticed. if anything, it pleases their wives/girlfriends that their husband/boyfriend doesn't have whatever hangups or insecurities.

what's becoming a bigger issue is that marriage and careers and owning a home and starting families is a much bigger roadblock to the friendships we used to have than any issues regarding sexuality.

and amidst all this social progress -- gay sex is now legal in India! time to schedule a visit! -- it's important to remember that there's still an enormous amount of work to do:

Gay bar patrons not targeted by officers, chief says
BY MIKE LEE and ALEX BRANCH

FORT WORTH — Police officers did not target gays during a bar inspection early Sunday in which one man was injured and seven people were arrested, Police Chief Jeff Halstead said Monday.

Police internal-affairs investigators will look into officers’ actions at the Rainbow Lounge, a gay nightclub on South Jennings Avenue, Halstead said.

He asked people who are angry with police "to take a deep breath."

The incident occurred on the 40th anniversary of a police raid on a club in New York City that helped trigger the gay rights movement, timing that Halstead called inadvertent.

"There was never, ever anyone employed with the Fort Worth Police Department who would want to specifically target a location because of the date," Halstead said. "That simply did not occur."

City officials have received hundreds of e-mails and dozens of phone calls about the incident, a spokesman said. Two Unitarian Universalist churches and the Cathedral of Hope in Dallas issued statements calling for full investigations, as did the Human Rights Campaign, a Washington-based advocacy group.

"Brutality at the hands of law enforcement is never acceptable, and these allegations demonstrate the need for a thorough and impartial investigation," said Human Rights Campaign President Joe Solmonese.

The injured man, Chad Gibson, 26, remained hospitalized Monday.

He and six other people were arrested during what Halstead said was a routine bar inspection.

Gibson may require surgery for his head injury if his condition doesn’t improve, said his sister, Kristy Morgan.

"He remembers going to the bar. He remembers having a drink. He doesn’t remember anything else," she said.

Kyle Trentham of Fort Worth said local activists are working with national groups to find ways to help those arrested and assist with medical expenses for Gibson.

City Councilwoman Kathleen Hicks, whose district includes the bar, said she was "very concerned."

"I don’t want to rush to judgment," she said, but added that she does not want the city to have a "reputation as a place that’s not inclusive."

New management

The Rainbow, at 651 S. Jennings Ave., has been a gay bar for years under different owners. But it had been open under its current management for only about a week.

According to police, six Fort Worth officers, two officers from the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission and a supervisor went to the Rainbow about 1 a.m. after checking two other bars in the area — Rosedale Saloon and Cowboy Palace — where a total of nine people were arrested.

More than 20 people were taken out of the Rainbow and questioned, and seven were arrested on suspicion of public intoxication, police said.

Some customers made "sexually explicit motions," according to a police statement, and one grabbed an officer’s crotch. A police spokesman later identified that person as Gibson.

"My brother would not do that," Morgan said. Gibson, a high-tech worker who is about 5-feet-8 and weighs about 150 pounds, was at the club with friends, including a designated driver, she said.

"He’s not a big drinker, a big partyer," she said.

The police statement said one patron was so drunk he was vomiting. Morgan said her brother threw up because of his head injury.

She also questioned police efforts to summon medical help. The time on Gibson’s ticket for public intoxication is 2:10 a.m. An ambulance wasn’t called until 2:25 a.m.

Club Manager Randy Norman said Gibson didn’t seem drunk and was walking from the men’s room, holding a bottle of water, when an officer pushed him against a wall and then pushed him to the ground. Some patrons said they heard Gibson ask the officer a question, but that he didn’t fight back. At least three officers were involved in handcuffing him.

"The first question I heard was, 'How much have you had to drink?’ " said Shane Wells, a dancer at the club. Gibson "said, 'I don’t have to answer that question’ and they grabbed him and ran him against that little wall.’ "

Asked about Gibson’s injury, Halstead said he could speak only about what is documented in the police report.

"In the police report, it was stated that he was handcuffed and he exhibited signs of over-intoxication, possible alcohol poisoning, and he fell face first," Halstead said.

"If there’s an eyewitness to the contrary, then that is exactly the person we want to come forward to the Police Department."

Witnesses should contact the internal affairs division at 817-392-4270, he said.

Late Monday, a news release from Fort Worth police identified the officers involved as K. Gober, J. Ricks, M. Marquez, J. Jenson, J. Back, J. Moss and Sgt. Morris.

'Liquor checks’ normal

Norman, who said he has been in the bar business for six years, said "liquor checks" are normal. But this time, he said, officers didn’t ask to see the club’s liquor license or its alcohol supply, and immediately began arresting people, he said.

"I believe the officers were riled up from wherever they were before," Norman said.

Staff writers Deanna Boyd and Eva-Marie Ayala contributed to this report.

Fort Worth council members call for probe in raid of gay bar

01:49 AM CDT on Tuesday, June 30, 2009

By CHRIS HAWES / WFAA-TV

RAINBOW LOUNGE RAID
June 30th, 2009
Chris Hawes reports

FORT WORTH - Fort Worth has received national attention after a controversial inspection at a gay bar.

The nation's largest gay and lesbian civil rights organization has called for an investigation, and they're not alone. Council member Kathleen Hicks said she wants the community to know that there is a recourse for complaints such as the ones that arose after officers were accused of violence without just cause.

Seven were arrested and one hospitalized after violence broke out during a raid at the Rainbow Lounge in Fort Worth.

Hicks called witness reports and Chad Gibson's brain injury disturbing; Gibson's mother, Kelly Carter, called it heartbreaking.

"He's got bruises here on his head," Carter said. "He's got [them] all down his shoulder. He's got a ring around his wrist where they had tied him."

Carter came to the Rainbow Lounge to see for herself where her son suffered the brain injury.

"They spun [Gibson] around this way, and laid him out on the ground and that's when he hit his head on the step and got the head injury," said one witness of what occurred during the early Sunday-morning raid.

Monday, police chief Jeff Halstead said the officers' actions are being investigated. However, he also said that officers that entered the bar during the scheduled inspection were touched inappropriately.

"You're touched and advanced in certain ways by people inside the bar, that's offensive," he said. "I'm happy with the restraint used when they were contacted like that."

Witnesses denied the chief's account.

News 8 talked with council member Joel Burns shortly after he visited Gibson in the hospital Monday afternoon.

"It's my hope that the fact that this is a gay bar and the violence that happened there are not in any way tied - obviously as someone who loves Fort Worth [and] as someone who is gay - I don't want those two things to be connected," he said.

Neither the TABC nor Fort Worth police revealed why the bar was selected for what police called a bar check. But, Halstead said the checks always result from either citizen or law enforcement concerns. The bar's owner questioned that and pointed out the Rainbow Lounge has been open for less than two weeks.

YouTube - Mom Speaks Out - Victim of Violent Police Raid in Hospital With Brain Injury

and amidst all this social progress -- gay sex is now legal in India! --
Wasn't that exciting! In practice, no one had actually been prosecuted under that law in decades (the just-announced ruling was 'public interest litigation,' unrelated to any convictions), and I've never personally heard of visitors being given trouble under it, but, it certainly has been used by private individuals and organizations to blackmail LGBT Indians, as well as by police to justify what would otherwise be illegal harassment. So I think this will likely have a pretty significant impact on the safety of 'out-ness'--for individuals, for communities, and for organizations--in the longterm, even though the results will doubtless look quite different from here (e.g., even heterosexual PDA between husband and wife is still taboo in much of India). Cultural conservatism aside, that law criminalizing gay sex--technically, 'carnal intercourse against the order of nature'--was, ironically, of British origin; India's penal code is still the old 1860 British code.

(BTW, since there seems to be some confusion in the American press about this: the fact that this ruling came from the Delhi High Court does not mean it applies only to Delhi; India's High Courts have original jurisdiction on Constitutional matters and there's only one Constitution, so only the Supreme Court could overrule...and since it was the Supreme Court who forced the Delhi High Court to hear this case in the first place after they'd initially dismissed it several years back, that seems highly unlikely.)

Last edited:
Time to review policy on gays in U.S. military: Powell
Sun Jul 5, 2009 11:52am EDT

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - American attitudes have changed and the "don't ask, don't tell" policy toward gays serving in the U.S. military should be reviewed, former Joint Chiefs of Staff chairman Colin Powell said on Sunday.

President Barack Obama favors overturning the policy, which bars gay troops from serving openly in the military. U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates has asked military lawyers to look at ways to make the law more flexible, hailed by gay rights groups as a "seismic political shift".

"The policy and the law that came about in 1993, I think, was correct for the time," Powell said on CNN's State of the Union.

"Sixteen years have now gone by, and I think a lot has changed with respect to attitudes within our country, and therefore I think this is a policy and a law that should be reviewed." he added.

Current Chiefs of Staff Chairman Admiral Mike Mullen, the United States' highest ranking officer, said the military will continue to carry out the policy until it is changed.

"It is very clear what President Obama's intent here is, he intends to see this law changed and my advice ... is that I think we need to move in a measured way," Mullen said.

"At a time when we're fighting two conflicts there is a great deal of pressure on our forces and their families," he added.

I know Powell is only calling for a review.

I believe that is very positive.

Any review in 2009 would come to an over-turning of the policy. Worse case, it would be in phases. But that would at least get us to the right place.

more of the same

Mullen advises 'measured' approach to gay policy
Sun Jul 5, 2:45 pm ET

WASHINGTON – The nation's top military officer said Sunday he has advised President Barack Obama to move "in a measured way" in changing the "don't ask, don't tell" policy that bans gays from serving openly in the military.

Obama as a candidate pledged to end the ban. As president, he has not said when or how he will take steps to do so, drawing criticism from gay rights activists and others. The president has pointed out that Congress in 1993 made into law a policy begun by President Bill Clinton.

"It's very clear what President Obama's intent here is. He intends to see this law change," Adm. Mike Mullen, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said on CNN's "State of the Union."

"I've had conversations with him about that. What I've discussed in terms of the future is I think we need to move in a measured way," Mullen said.

Mullen said he has discussed with his staff what steps might be taken to implement a change in the policy.

"I haven't done any kind of extensive review. And what I feel most obligated about is to make sure I tell the president, you know, my — give the president my best advice, should this law change, on the impact on our people and their families at these very challenging times," he said.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates said last week that he has lawyers studying ways the law might be selectively enforced as part of an effort to find "a more humane way" to apply the law until it is changed.

So let's go with a multi-year phase out. :shrug:

If they behave themselves on the back of the bus, they will get to their destination.

The reality, of course, is that there is no "humane way" to enforce this law, short of full repeal.

humane, by tolerating some ignorance , supported by religious believes, of the majority and phasing it out over a short period of time

so that sooner or later all Negroes get to play in major league baseball,
not just Jackie Robinson.

humane, by tolerating some ignorance , supported by religious believes, of the majority and phasing it out over a short period of time

This is ultimately why I agree with the criticism that liberalism engages in moral relativism. That is, if they were convinced that such a law was wrong/"immoral," then there would be no hesitation to repeal it. Instead, it all comes down to politics as usual.

It is this that separates Harry Truman from Barack Obama.

I think we still had a draft in 48.

The order also established a committee to investigate and make recommendations to the civilian leadership of the military to realize the policy.
Among the order's effects was the elimination of Montford Point as a segregated Marine boot camp (the camp became a satellite facility of Camp Lejeune). The last of the all-black units in the United States military was abolished in September 1954.

Fifteen years after Truman's order, on July 26, 1963 Robert S. McNamara issued Directive 5120.36 obligating military commanders to utilize the economic might of the military against facilities used by soldiers or their families that discriminated based upon sex or race.

looks like it was an order, followed by a phasing out.

It is this that separates Harry Truman from Barack Obama.

also, Bill Clinton started his first year keeping his word, he got bloodied up pretty bad, and we ended up with gays allowed to serve with the DTDA,
before this they were ASKED at induction, they had to lie to get in. So merely being gay made them a person that lied? under oath.

Clinton did this with 60 % against allowing gays to serve

Obama has something like 65% supporting allowing gays to serve. :shrug:

I remember watching Clinton take a beating on this, discussing this led me change my opinion on gays issues, along with having a couple of good friends that were gay.

Of course this issue and wanting to do something about Health Care caused the GOP take over in 94.

Obama has the majority of the American people behind him on this and Health Care and it looks like he may cave on Health Care too. No single payer, and the Government Plan may be slipping away, too.

I think the Clinton haters / Obama lovers are not consistent.

more small but sure steps in D.C.

In gay-marriage battle, D.C. shapes up as next big prize

As of Tuesday, Washington gives same-sex spouses the same rights as heterosexual couples. A full legalization of gay marriage could follow, some say.

By Michael B. Farrell | Staff writer/ July 7, 2009 edition

Washington began recognizing gay marriages performed in other states Tuesday – a move that is being called a potential first step toward allowing same-sex couples to wed in the nation’s capital.

The district’s measure stops short of other laws in states such as Iowa and Vermont, which allow for same-sex wedding ceremonies. But it adds to their momentum.

Moreover, Washington would be a unique prize in the battle over gay marriage. Not only does it bring the issue to where the nation’s lawmakers live – making it part of the city’s culture – but it also marks gay marriage’s first foray into a predominately black community.

Washington’s city council passed the law to give married same-sex couples the same rights as heterosexual couples by a 12-to-1 margin in May – a vote that supporters hail as significant.

“Nationally, anti-gay rights activists have had a great deal of success in encouraging black voters to oppose gay rights, partially because [gay rights] are seen – incorrectly – as a ‘white issue,’” writes Adam Serwer on the website of American Prospect, a liberal magazine.

“But in Washington, D.C., the diverse composition of the marriage-equality movement means that marriage-equality activists don’t have to ‘reach out’ to the black community, because they’re already part of it,” he adds.

But black leaders have said that the 12-to-1 vote is not reflective of the community at large. In a city where 56 percent of residents are African-American, there is little chance a gay-marriage law would be approved if put to voters, says Derek McCoy, a pastor at Hope Christian Church in suburban Washington.

He says the law is yet another example of a legislative branch “pulling a fast one on the constituents.”

A group of black ministers filed a lawsuit in an effort to stall the bill until a referendum could put the question to Washington voters. A judge dismissed the suit.

Black ministers have led much of the opposition to the law, rallying the city’s black churches as well as the broader African-American community. Surveys have shown that a majority of blacks oppose gay marriage. Some 70 percent of blacks in California voted in favor of Proposition 8, the ballot measure that bans same-sex marriages.

Mr. McCoy says he is “continuing to push a battle on the issue.” But he agrees with proponents of same-sex marriage on at least one thing: “I do believe [recognizing gay marriage in Washington] puts it on a national scale, and at least brings that level of attention to it.”

For gay-marriage advocates, that presents them with an ideal stage to show the country – and especially lawmakers from around the nation – that legalizing gay marriage is no threat to traditional marriage values. The ultimate goal: revise or overturn the Defense of Marriage Act, which bans federal recognition of gay marriages.

For those opposed to legalizing same-sex marriage, the capital is an equally vital piece to stop the spread of gay marriage and prevent it from becoming a federal issue.

“Washington, D.C., is symbolically a really important place for a marriage-equality win,” says Molly McKay of Marriage Equality USA, a leading same-sex marriage advocacy group. “I think that it is really important that that happens around the social environment where are elected officials are located.”

what's most interesting to me is how the opposition is trying to, ahem, "play the race card" and turn this into a gay vs. black issue (as if there aren't any black gay people, or that all blacks are anti-gay).

that's really how it's going to be played, and it could become horribly, horribly divisive.

but somehow, i think this might just blow over, no matter how hard pastors from Montgomery County and P.G. County (subsidized by the Tony Perkins crowd) try and convince the residents of DC that they should be against this.

most are predicting same-sex marriage by the end of the year.

By DENISE LAVOIE, AP Legal Affairs Writer

BOSTON – Massachusetts, the first state to legalize gay marriage, sued the U.S. government Wednesday over a federal law that defines marriage as a union between a man and a woman.

The federal Defense of Marriage Act interferes with the right of Massachusetts to define and regulate marriage as it sees fit, Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley said. The 1996 law denies federal recognition of gay marriage and gives states the right to refuse to recognize same-sex marriages performed in other states.

The lawsuit, filed in federal court in Boston, argues the act "constitutes an overreaching and discriminatory federal law."

Specifically, the lawsuit challenges the section of the law that creates a federal definition of marriage as limited to a union between one man and one woman.

Before the law was passed, Coakley said, the federal government recognized that defining marital status was the "exclusive prerogative of the states." Now, because of the U.S. law's definition of marriage, same-sex couples are denied access to benefits given to heterosexual married couples, including federal income tax credits, employment benefits, retirement benefits, health insurance coverage and Social Security payments.

"In enacting DOMA, Congress overstepped its authority, undermined states' efforts to recognize marriages between same-sex couples, and codified an animus towards gay and lesbian people," the lawsuit states.

The Defense of Marriage Act was enacted when it appeared Hawaii would soon legalize same-sex marriages and opponents worried that other states would be forced to recognize them. It defines marriage as "a legal union between one man and one woman as husband and wife" and defines "spouse" as "a person of the opposite sex who is a husband or a wife."

President Barack Obama has pledged to work to repeal the law, although gay rights activists criticized the administration last month after Justice Department lawyers defended it in a court brief. White House aides said they were doing their jobs to support a law that is on the books.

Besides Massachusetts, five other states — Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine and Iowa — have legalized gay marriage.

This is the second lawsuit filed in Massachusetts challenging the law.

In March, the Boston-based Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders claimed the law discriminates against gay couples and is unconstitutional because it denies them access to federal benefits that other married couples receive, such as health insurance and pensions.

more small but sure steps in D.C.

what's most interesting to me is how the opposition is trying to, ahem, "play the race card" and turn this into a gay vs. black issue (as if there aren't any black gay people, or that all blacks are anti-gay).

that's really how it's going to be played, and it could become horribly, horribly divisive.

but somehow, i think this might just blow over, no matter how hard pastors from Montgomery County and P.G. County (subsidized by the Tony Perkins crowd) try and convince the residents of DC that they should be against this.

most are predicting same-sex marriage by the end of the year.

of course there are gay black people

and there are gay Muslims and gay Mormons :shrug:

If this went to a public vote in D C, to legalize gay marriage, it most likely would not pass.

African Americans oppose gay marriage 60+ %.

Yes, the Mormons poured a lot of money in to CA against proposition 8.
But, they were a negligible part of the vote.
If the Black and Latino voters that voted for Obama also voted no on Prop. 8
it would have lost by a landslide.

If this went to a public vote in D C, to legalize gay marriage, it most likely would not pass.

not so sure about this. let's put aside the perversity of voting on someone's civil rights.

the district is roughly 56% black -- it also went 90% for Kerry, and i imagine the numbers were even higher for Obama. the District also lacks any identifiably conservative areas. even Georgetown tends to be blue-bloods with centuries of money who really don't care that much about gay marriage. the District is also young, and if it's not poor, then it's a diverse group of yuppies who live with a very large and very visible gay population that's estimated to be at least 10% of the overall population and it has (i think) the second highest number of same-sex households of any city in the nation. the District is liberal, through and through.

the only way this becomes a war is if the black and latino churches bring it to the pulpit and turn it into a religious issue, and they're already trying to do that by mobilizing suburban black preachers and pastors to try and unite the opposition through racial and religious affiliation.

it's a good strategy. there's an interesting tension between, broadly speaking, "blacks" and "gays" in DC. Dupont Circle has often been pointed to as a perfect case study in what's now known as gay gentrification. 20-25 years ago, it was not a safe neighborhood, the city had been burned to the ground after MLKs assassination and then gutted by the crack epidemic of the 80s. with the rise of a visible gay community in DC came more gays who came to socialize and live with other gays -- a gay ghetto was born. gays tend to be very, very good urban citizens. they go to restaurants, book stores, theater, etc. they have disposable income that isn't consumed by children and there's no need for a big yard. and, stereotypical or not, they like to buy nice houses and fix them up and sell them for twice the original value to hip straights and then move on to the next neighborhood.

the next neighborhood, in DC, tends to be black and poor. and on an individual, one-on-one basis, the "blacks" and the "gays" tend to get along very well living side-by-side. are most gay bashings done by black youth in transitional areas? yes. but the reality is that they get along on a personal level -- race and religion are tossed aside.

however, when things are couched by the black church as an issue of gentrification, as rich white gays moving in to traditionally black neighborhoods and buying black homes and then more white people follow, then things get dicey. and it tends to be more resonant in, say, P.G. County (the wealthiest minority-majority county in the US, i think) than in Southeast. it's suburban blacks with money who go to church who seem to be more concerned with Adam/Steve than are poor blacks in Southeast who have much more pressing issues to deal with.

so it's really interesting.

and i hope they fail, because it's just about the nastiest strategy i can think of.

thanks for sharing all that information about D C

my only impression was that it was majority black, I assumed around 65%

I do think it is bizarre that rights are put up to a public vote

legislators and equal protection aspects of the Constitution should be where this is decided.

Does The U.S. Constitution Already Make Gay Marriage Legal?

Does The U.S. Constitution Already Make Gay Marriage?Legal? | The New Civil Rights Movement

In its decision, the court wrote:

“Marriage is one of the “basic civil rights of man,” fundamental to our very existence and survival…. To deny this fundamental freedom on so unsupportable a basis as the racial classifications embodied in these statutes, classifications so directly subversive of the principle of equality at the heart of the Fourteenth Amendment, is surely to deprive all the State’s citizens of liberty without due process of law. The Fourteenth Amendment requires that the freedom of choice to marry not be restricted by invidious racial discrimination. Under our Constitution, the freedom to marry, or not marry, a person of another race resides with the individual and cannot be infringed by the State.”

Not according to Baker v. Nelson:

The Minnesota Supreme Court ruled that the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling in Loving v. Virginia, 388 U.S. 1 (1967)—in which the Court ruled that a statute prohibiting interracial marriages was unconstitutional—was not applicable to the Baker case. The Minnesota Supreme Court acknowledged the Fourteenth Amendment prohibits some state restrictions upon the right to marry, but that "in commonsense and in a constitutional sense, there is a clear distinction between a marital restriction based merely upon race and one based upon the fundamental difference in sex".

14th Amendment

Section 1.
All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

There are two cases working their way to the Supreme Court

I'd like to see Roberts, Scalia, Thomas, and/or Alito write a decision against equal protection.

The Minnesota Supreme Court ruled that the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling in Loving v. Virginia, 388 U.S. 1 (1967)—in which the Court ruled that a statute prohibiting interracial marriages was unconstitutional—was not applicable to the Baker case. The Minnesota Supreme Court acknowledged the Fourteenth Amendment prohibits some state restrictions upon the right to marry, but that "in commonsense and in a constitutional sense, there is a clear distinction between a marital restriction based merely upon race and one based upon the fundamental difference in sex".

Is this conclusion not just based on bias?

There was a time when gay activity was illegal, gay porn was illegal, police would raid and arrest people in gay establishments.

Now, gay porn is treated no different than straight porn.

Gay bars are treated no different than any other bar or establishment.

A gay marrige that does not provide for reproduction is not any different than a older couple getting married that are not capable of producing children.

Gay Americans pay all the same taxes, obey all the same laws, make the same contributions as straight people. Many straight people do not marry and don't get the shared benefits related to marriage. Straight people that do not marry (and I am one) are not prevented from marrying by law. If I or you were not permitted to marry but had to pay the same taxes and not get the same benefits, we would want that restriction lifted,

It is really simple, equal protection.

We think it is a wonderful thing that our 'founding fathers' fought a war against "Taxation without full Representation."

Gay Americans are treated as 'less than" just like the British Colonists in America were.

activist judges. :tsk:

And sometimes it dies with summer. Maybe it's the Texas heat, yeah...Reminds me of that no gay kissing in my pub thread I had many moons ago

Two gay men kicked out of Chico's Tacos restaurant for kissing
By Andrew Kreighbaum and Darren Meritz / El Paso Times
Posted: 07/09/2009 12:00:00 AM MDT

EL PASO -- Two gay men kissed at a Chico's Tacos restaurant, prompting guards to eject them and a police officer to endorse their ouster.

Civil-rights lawyers say the security staff was out of line. Police, though, contend that a business such as a restaurant can refuse service to anybody, any time.

In all, five men were ordered to leave the restaurant. They say they were forced out by homophobic guards.

"It was a simple kiss on the lips," said Carlos Diaz de Leon, a gay man who was part of the group.

He called police at 12:30 a.m. June 29 because he said the guards and restaurant had discriminated against the group after two of his friends kissed in public.

The five men, all gay, were placing their order at the Chico's Tacos restaurant on Montwood when the men kissed. All five sat down, but the two guards at the restaurant told them to leave.

De Leon quoted one of the guards as saying he didn't allow "that faggot stuff" in the restaurant.

De Leon said they refused to leave and called police for help. He said an officer arrived about an hour later in response to calls from his group and the guards.

As they waited for police, the guards directed other anti-gay slurs at them, he said.

Already angry at the guards, de Leon and his group became angrier at the two police officers who arrived.

"I went up to the police officer to tell him what was going on, and he didn't want to hear my side," de Leon said. "He wanted to hear the security guard's side

Police declined to identify the officers who responded, but department spokesman Javier Sambrano described one officer as relatively inexperienced.

De Leon said the officer told the group it was illegal for two men or two women to kiss in public. The five men, he said, were told they could be cited for homosexual conduct -- a law the U.S. Supreme Court ruled unconstitutional in 2003 in Lawrence v. Texas.

That same year, the El Paso City Council approved an ordinance banning discrimination based on sexual orientation by businesses open to the public.

An assistant manager at Chico's Tacos declined to comment Wednesday, except to say the owners of the restaurant were out of town and could not be reached. An official with All American International Security, the firm contracted by Chico's Tacos to supply guards, said one member of the security crew was contacting a lawyer. He would say no more.

El Paso police Detective Carlos Carrillo said a more appropriate charge for what happened at Chico's Tacos would probably be criminal trespass.

"The security guard received a complaint from some of the customers there," Carrillo said. "Every business has the right to refuse service. They have the right to refuse service to whoever they don't want there. That's their prerogative."

Briana Stone, a lawyer with the Paso del Norte Civil Rights Project, disagreed.

She said the city anti-discrimination ordinance protects people on the basis of gender identity and sexual orientation in public places. Perhaps more troubling, she said, was that the police officer chose not to enforce that ordinance and might have contributed to discrimination.

"This is such a blatant refusal to uphold the law on account of discrimination," she said. "The result is devastating. The Police Department is allowing that and even participating in it by refusing to enforce an anti-discrimination ordinance, which is what their job is."

Lisa Graybill, legal director for the ACLU of Texas, said that businesses can ask patrons to leave for lewd conduct, but that those standards would have to apply to all customers.

"If a straight couple wouldn't have gotten kicked out for it," she said, "a gay couple shouldn't."

The police officers involved did not file a report about the confrontation at Chico's Tacos. Carrillo said no report was made because officers thought the situation was under control and neither side requested a written account of the incident.

De Leon said he and his friends left the restaurant after an officer threatened to issue a citation for "homosexual conduct."

Well we don't want children sitting there enjoying their tacos while some gay men give them a false sense of reality at the table next to them.

If I'm in a restaurant, I don't want to see guys snogging at the next table, as a matter of fact, I don't want to see anyone snogging at the next table.

This restaurant incident is one of those standard FYM topics whereby one must have a suitably PC viewpoint, one must condemn perceived homophobia, blah blah blah. Its importance in the grand scheme of things is not particularly huge. Obviously, if one doesn't want to see two gays in a passioniate embrace at any time of the day or night, if one chooses to find that spectacle completely unappealing, one is automatically a homophobe.

I say, give the gays marriage, and soon enough they'll find - like the rest of us - it's not exactly the bed of roses some of them seem to think it is.

If I'm in a restaurant, I don't want to see guys snogging at the next table, as a matter of fact, I don't want to see anyone snogging at the next table.

This restaurant incident is one of those standard FYM topics whereby one must have a suitably PC viewpoint, one must condemn perceived homophobia, blah blah blah.

Please!!! Perceived homophobia? When was the last time you saw a straight couple thrown out of a restaurant because they held hands or kissed? Open you eyes...

Agreed, no one wants to see people snogging in restaurants in distasteful ways. Politely controlled PDA is best. But the difference is that straight people aren't subjected to slurs for it and officers don't generally threaten to issue citations for heterosexual conduct. Like it says, the standards have to apply to all customers, EQUALLY.

In the grand scheme of things I would imagine it's important to be able to kiss in public discreetly, the way heteros should, without dealing with that kind of crap. I'm not gay, so maybe you can ask someone who is. But if I was and I had to deal with stuff like that, it would be important to me.

I'm not posting it for any PC or homophobia FYM reasons, but if it helps you to be able to repeat that rant once again by all means think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom