equality blooms with spring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a full supporter of gay marriage, but from a legal standpoint, it was the correct decision.

California voters have a right to change their constitution via referendum, and the supreme court is right to decide they have no right to interfere with that. It is terrible that California voters would vote to ban gay marriage, but it is good to see the Cali Supreme Court make a decision based on judicial ethics and pre-set laws over their own moral opinions.

What if an initiative passed that said only people born in CA can attend public schools without paying $10000 a year.
Would you say the voters have a right to make that change ?

The decision wasn't a surprise. Now the Mormons and other conservatives who believe in "democracy" can high-five each other and crow that democracy triumphs.

And now the stage is set to repeal the damn thing through... wait for it ... DEMOCRACY! When it's repealed through the democratic process, and it will be, will those celebrating today's decision be just as supportive? Or will they file suit to have it overturned?

And now the stage is set to repeal the damn thing through... wait for it ... DEMOCRACY! When it's repealed through the democratic process, and it will be, will those celebrating today's decision be just as supportive? Or will they file suit to have it overturned?

I also don't hear them yelling about activist judges today....

The more I learn about the decision, the better I feel. All the Court did was uphold Californian's ability to amend the Constitution via referenda; they did not eliminate any of the marriages, nor did they say anything about eliminating marriage equality. In fact, they talked a lot about how necessary equal protection really is.

It wasn't much of a win for the Mormons. :)

Have you looked up the meaning of EQUALITY lately?

It shows up well before any mention of what the word "marriage" means in the Constitution. It's mentioned a lot more too... If we're going to argue word meanings, I'm sure most would think 'equality' outweighs 'marriage' anyday.

Have you looked up the meaning of EQUALITY lately?

It shows up well before any mention of what the word "marriage" means in the Constitution. It's mentioned a lot more too... If we're going to argue word meanings, I'm sure most would think 'equality' outweighs 'marriage' anyday.

Who's arguing?

Myself along with a majority of Americans understand the meaning of a the word marriage as it was intended.

Go be angry somewhere else.

:hug:

<>

Who's arguing?

Myself along with a majority of Americans understand the meaning of a the word marriage as it was intended.

Go be angry somewhere else.

<>

Meaning of the word as it was intended? It's not the way Joseph Smith intended? Have you already forgot? So don't argue with me about meanings of words.

Your narrow definition of the word "marriage" which within your own religion has been refined in just recent history, and outside your religion as well throughout the centuries does not allow for EQUALITY which has never been redfined... so don't give me this "as it was intended" bs.

Go be uniformed somewhere else.

I'm quite informed.
Informed enough to know what the word marriage means.

Don't worry, it'll mean something different than you think it means very soon.

Hopefully within your lifetime, that might give you a chance to come into the fold of equality for our gay and lesbian friends and family. They'll welcome you the way you haven't welcomed them.

Time waits for no man. :up:

*sigh*

lecture me here, lecture me there.

People have been predicting drug usage being legalize for the last 40 years and it still hasn't happened.

*yawn*

<>

Ted Olson, the Solicitor General for George Bush

Olson1.gif

his wife, Barbara was killed in the 911 attacks

Ted%20Olson%20wedding%203

Ted has been married to women more than once. He has never married a man.

I think if anyone understands what marriage means it is Ted Olson.

He is a decent, principled, patriotic American.

I accept his judgment.

People have been predicting drug usage being legalize for the last 40 years and it still hasn't happened.

*yawn*

Yeah, legalized gay marriage is totally insane, we all must be imagining Massachussetts, Vermont, Canada, etc.

"Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,'and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'?

300px-Bloch-SermonOnTheMount.jpg

Is that from the Bible of those Christians that don't think that you're one of them?

Regardless of what

"those Christians
the Mormon"

as you have referred to them here on the boards...it....doesn't circumvent what the Master said about and how He defined marriage.

:)

<>

.it....doesn't circumvent what the Master said about and how He defined marriage.

:)

I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. - Mohandas Gandhi

"Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,'and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'?

300px-Bloch-SermonOnTheMount.jpg

What's interesting is that the woman doesn't leave her father or mother, so that must mean he moves in with them, why would he not mention that? He didn't mention anything of race mixing, it must not be the way it was intentioned. How could Joseph Smith become one flesh with at least 33 women? :doh:

Ted Olson, the Solicitor General for George Bush

Olson1.gif

his wife, Barbara was killed in the 911 attacks

I think if anyone understands what marriage means it is Ted Olson.

He is a decent, principled, patriotic American.

I accept his judgment.

Ted Olson has filed suit in US District Court to stop the enforcement of Proposition 8, allowing same sex couples to marry, while the matter of decided in federal courts. Ted Olson fully expects the question to go all the way to the United States Supreme Court.

According to Byron York, writing in the Washington Examiner, Ted Olson said, in explaining his support for same sex marriage, "I personally think it is time that we as a nation get past distinguishing people on the basis of sexual orientation, and that a grave injustice is being done to people by making these distinctions. I thought their cause was just."

Ted Olson's heading the legal team that will fight Proposition 8 in the courts has raised the eyebrows of other conservatives. Hot Air's Ed Morrissey said, "Having Ted Olson head this plaintiff's legal team, along with David Boies, will certainly give some conservatives considerable pause. He's been a hero to the Right, so much so that Rudy Giuliani tapped him for the presidential campaign to give himself credibility on judicial restraint.
What happens to Olson's standing now?"

Some do not want this to hit the Supreme Court, now.

I hope it does, why not let Scalia go down in history as the author of a 'Dred Scott Decision"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom