equality blooms with spring - Page 39 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2009, 04:20 PM   #571
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:55 PM
Quote:
few men would ever bother to enter into a romantic heterosexual marriage--much less three, as i have done--were it not for the iron grip of necessity that falls upon us when we are unwise enough to fall in love with a woman other than our mom. There would be very few flowerings of domestic ecstasy were it not for the granite underpinnings of marriage. Gay couples who marry are bound to be disappointed in marriage's impotence without these ghosts of past authority. Marriage has a lineage more ancient than any divine revelation, and before any system of law existed, kinship crushed our ancestors with complex and pitiless rules about incest, family, tribe, and totem. Gay marriage, which can be created by any passel of state supreme court justices with degrees from middling law schools, lacking the authority and majesty of the kinship system, will be a letdown.

wtf

Old 05-28-2009, 04:21 PM   #572
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Well, you heard the man, gang. The only true reason for marriage's existence is to protect and control the sexuality of the child-bearing sex. It's not even procreation anymore. It's all about protecting those poor, helpless little child-bearers from deviant sexuality.

Me, I personally can't wait to get married so I can properly control my wife's sexuality. It's all I look forward to!

Old 05-28-2009, 04:22 PM   #573
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
wtf
This.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:27 PM   #574
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Me, I personally can't wait to get married so I can properly control my wife's sexuality. It's all I look forward to!

well, it's not so much that you're controlling her, per se, but more that you and she have clasped hands and mutually declared that her vagina is off limits to other men, so they'll just have to take themselves down to the brothel, thank you very much.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:30 PM   #575
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:55 AM
Sam Schulman, in my opinion is a niche writer, you can also look up his article on atheism.

I don't know how many bother to go down the same road he does, to arrive at similar conclusions.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #576
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Can we imagine Frank's family and friends warning him that "If Joe were serious, he would put a ring on your finger"?
Yes, actually, I can.

People treating same-sex couples just like opposite-sex couples? Someone give me some pearls so I can clutch them in horror.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:35 PM   #577
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:55 PM
My very favourite bit from article Irving posted:

Quote:
Few men would ever bother to enter into a romantic heterosexual marriage--much less three, as I have done--were it not for the iron grip of necessity that falls upon us when we are unwise enough to fall in love with a woman other than our mom.

The article has to be a parody...it just has to be. It's waaaay too over the top to be real.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:38 PM   #578
Blue Crack Supplier

this is my favorite part:

Quote:
Can gay men and women be as generous as we straight men are? Will you consider us as men who love, just as you do, and not merely as homophobes or Baptists? Every day thousands of ordinary heterosexual men surrender the dream of gratifying our immediate erotic desires. Instead, heroically, resignedly, we march up the aisle with our new brides, starting out upon what that cad poet Shelley called the longest journey, attired in the chains of the kinship system--a system from which you have been spared. Imitate our self-surrender. If gay men and women could see the price that humanity--particularly the women and children among us--will pay, simply in order that a gay person can say of someone she already loves with perfect competence, "Hey, meet the missus!"--no doubt they will think again. If not, we're about to see how well humanity will do without something as basic to our existence as gravity.

this is what it boils down to: gay marriage threatens because it's a union of equals.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:39 PM   #579
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
much less three, as I have done--were it not for the iron grip
one for the gripper
Old 05-28-2009, 04:49 PM   #580
Refugee

Local Time: 07:55 PM
Quote:
Instead, heroically, resignedly, we march up the aisle with our new brides, starting out upon what that cad poet Shelley called the longest journey, attired in the chains of the kinship system--a system from which you have been spared.
He couldn't have been sober writing this, hilarious...this sounds like the ramblings of a shotgun-married, thrice-divorced, alimony-paying, down-by-the-river-living barfly.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:55 PM   #581
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliEnvy View Post
He couldn't have been sober writing this, hilarious...this sounds like the ramblings of a shotgun-married, thrice-divorced, alimony-paying, down-by-the-river-living barfly.

i understand that sexual monogamy can pose a challenge to many males (and females), and that is one of the generally accepted expectations of marriage: sexual fidelity to one's spouse.

but i guess i thought that it was a more joyful thing, something done out of choice rather than begrudging obligation.

i suppose this author feels cheated and tricked by marriage. though, who can he blame? fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me; fool me three times ... we won't get fooled again.

rite?
Old 05-28-2009, 05:15 PM   #582
Refugee

Local Time: 07:55 PM
To be serious for a moment, it seems to me that many of the "generally accepted expectations of marriage" (not monogamy per se) have been shifting since the introduction of the birth control pill and many men and women are not on the same page about those expectations anymore. In my opinion, that basic disconnect is what is most responsible for high divorce rates.

If anything, successful gay marriages will have a positive impact on heteros figuring out what marriage and commitment really means to them outside of traditional assumptions.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #583
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
If anything, successful gay marriages will have a positive impact on heteros figuring out what marriage and commitment really means to them outside of traditional assumptions.
I wish-but it seems as if all it means to some heteros is "one man one woman". It's as if the actual content of a marriage doesn't even matter
Old 05-28-2009, 05:23 PM   #584
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
To be serious for a moment, it seems to me that many of the "generally accepted expectations of marriage" (not monogamy per se) have been shifting since the introduction of the birth control pill and many men and women are not on the same page about those expectations anymore. In my opinion, that basic disconnect is what is most responsible for high divorce rates.

What did the pill have to do with it?
Old 05-28-2009, 05:24 PM   #585
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I wish-but it seems as if all it means to some heteros is "one man one woman". It's as if the actual content of a marriage doesn't even matter

and for some, it's simply, "no faggots allowed."